Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Considering that this league is full of shite and only Toon & Brighton started the season as the best teams, add the fact that Stam, Wagner & McSteeeve are doing fine jobs and Monks Leeds turn around we have no excuse for not been 7th, 8th, 9th at worst 10th.

RDM reign was full of mistakes.

SB came in and had to not only steady a ship (which he did really well). He really had to go the rest of the season making very few mistakes.

I can allude to 2 major ones and continual minor ones that will probably cost us probable playoffs from a possible position (from when he took over)

1) Calderwood - It seems to have made a turn for the worst.

2) Gaby - sending out every wrong message to players & fans alike

I believe that this decision has lead to unrest in RHM and McC. Sure both have "reacted" badly, but can everybody here see a pattern of unrest?

Constant use of Hutton at RB instead of Bacuna, Westwood in MF when Tish may have been better in the long run. Maybe Gardner wouldnt have suffered so much.

Trying 3@ the back (Elphick, Chester & Baker) would have pushed Amavi & Bacuna further into MF overcoming the lack of quality from Jedi, Tish and or Gardner (AW at a push) by pure numbers.

I would go as far as saying, the Gaby move has cost us 2 players who may not have created such a stink in McC & RHM.

Major decisions take things one way or the opposite. I think Bruce got a number of them wrong, something very surprising from a man of his experience in both PL & Ch.

RDM built the Coffin

Bruce is putting the nails in one by one

He has to either

1) Throw away the hammer

or

2) someone has to hide the nails

or

3) someone has to take the hammer off him

Edited by Grasshopper

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

To be fair despite gabby being pretty lame he has at least been professional and is trying just lacks any real quality anymore. McCormack for me is a complete disgrace and I put him in the Lescott category. Get out of our club you lump of lard

Unfortunately, we don't much much choice other than to play Gabby. 

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Considering that this league is full of shite and only Toon & Brighton started the season as the best teams, add the fact that Stam, Wagner & McSteeeve are doing fine jobs and Monks Leeds turn around we have no excuse for not been 7th, 8th, 9th at worst 10th.

RDM reign was full of mistakes.

SB came in and had to not only sready a ship (which he did really well). He really had to go the rest of the season making very few mistakes.

I can allude to 2 major ones and continual minor ones that will probably cost us probable playoffs from a possible position (from when he took over)

1) Calderwood - It seems to have made a turn for the worst.

2) Gaby - sending out every wrong message to players & fans alike

I believe that this decision has lead to unrest in RHM and McC. Sure both have "reacted" badly, but can everybody here see a pattern of unrest?

Constant use of Hutton at RB instead of Bacuna, Westwood in MF when Tish may have been better in the long run. Maybe Gardner wouldnt have suffered so much.

Trying 3@ the back (Elphick, Chester & Baker) would have pushed Amavi & Bacuna further into MF overcoming the lack of quality from Jedi, Tish abd or Gardner (AW at a push) by pure numbers.

I would go as far as saying, the Gaby move has cost us 2 players who may not have created such a stink in NcC & RDM.

Major decisions take things one way or the opposite. I think Bruce got a number of them wrong, something very surprising from a man of his experience in both PL & Ch.

RDM built the Coffin

Bruce is putting the nails in one by one

GH

While those ships were being rebuilt in the dockyards

ours was sinking in the Atlantic

......Those teams are ahead of us in terms of rectification & rebuild.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

GH

While those ships were being rebuilt in the dockyards

ours was sinking in the Atlantic

......Those teams are ahead of us in terms of rectification & rebuild.

Sorry pal

no excuse for not getting us to 7-10th at keast

Just now, Grasshopper said:

Sorry pal

we are simply not good enough IMO

I think we are much worse than what we think......soon to change.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

hand on heart.....do any of us know what the best team is, in light of the level of flaws in the playing squad.

you could change your opinion from day to day with this lot.

I honestly don't know what the best team is.....

... but I would never have recalled Gabby or Richards. It sends the wrong message - especially if attitude at BMH has been an issue for years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry pal

I agree with this. Progress since Bruce has been here has not been as good as I had been expecting but think he is the right man to see us promoted. On a comparison his tenure has not been much better, and in some ways worse than RDM's, but I accept that RDM was not right. Can't comment on Calderwood as I have no idea how his influence is being received. Don't forget its taken Mourihno 5 months to steady the Utd ship, and thats without any serious changes and the biggest resources in football. 

I knew we were shite but it has been a massive job turning things around and it won't happen over night. It has been a very good indication of how important team balance is. I think after yesterdays dropped points the play offs really are beyond us now, but I would much rather we developed into a very strong and convincing unit (like NU) and went up without fear of immediately dropping back down again, which I fear is a very real risk with our team at present. 

Edited by thunderball

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I honestly don't know what the best team is.....

... but I would never have recalled Gabby or Richards. It sends the wrong message - especially if attitude at BMH has been an issue for years.

I wouldn't boil a kettle with a hole in it.....but its the only vessel I've got.....so I may get enough out for a cuppa tea.

I don't know the mood at BMH....if it is true with McCormack....then it seems right now he has Hobsons choice.

I think the Gestede deal was an opportunity the club felt was too good to miss.....they effectively got out of jail with that one.....and there is still more to trade out.

18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I agree with this. Progress since Bruce has been here has not been as good as I had been expecting but think he is the right man to see us promoted. On a comparison his tenure has not been much better, and in some ways worse than RDM's, but I accept that RDM was not right. Can't comment on Calderwood as I have no idea how his influence is being received. Don't forget its taken Mourihno 5 months to steady the Utd ship, and thats without any serious changes and the biggest resources in football. 

I knew we were shite but it has been a massive job turning things around and it won't happen over night. It has been a very good indication of how important team balance is. I think after yesterdays dropped points the play offs really are beyond us now, but I would much rather we developed into a very strong and convincing unit (like NU) and went up without fear of immediately dropping back down again, which I fear is a very real risk with our team at present. 

Not trying to be controversial and not anywhere near happy with this lot, but.....

I was not expecting him to do as well as he has in his early games( in terms of points).....we have recently gone back in to relegation form since the African boys have gone....just too much to lose to an already poor squad like ours.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

but I would never have recalled Gabby or Richards. It sends the wrong message - especially if attitude at BMH has been an issue for years.

I assume you think it sent the message that you can f about, be disciplined by the club, and still get another chance.

I think when a new manager comes in he wipes the slate clean. He says to the whole squad that regardless of what has gone before you do this, this and this under me and you will be given a fair crack of the whip. He sees he has players earning x amount that can't be sold for a number of months training with the youth team and I guess backs himself to turn those players around and get something out of them.

Regardless of how you rate Gabby ability wise there is no doubt that he has knuckled down under Bruce, gotten himself into shape and at times has made a positive contribution. Certainly yesterday he led the line very well. 

Conversely Bruce has sent the message out with McCormack that if you don't tow the line under me it will not be tolerated. It is a bit of a kop out if you think that McCormack has behaved the way he has having witnessed Gabby bust his balls under Bruce to be given a chance in the first team. If anything if I am McCormack and I see Gabby in training busting a gut to get fit then it inspires me to think he ain't taking my place and I am doing all I can to make sure he doesn't.
Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa.

Antonio Conte or Arsene Wenger

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry pal

League table since SB took over.

It is an improvement but still some work to do. Our away form is terrible. 

1 Newcastle United 16   6 0 2 19 5   6 0 2 13 6   21 36
2 Brighton and Hove Albion 15   6 2 0 18 5   5 1 1 10 6   17 36
3 Derby County 16   7 2 0 14 2   3 1 3 7 9   10 33
4 Leeds United 16   6 1 1 12 3   4 1 3 13 11   11 32
5 Sheffield Wednesday 16   5 1 1 9 3   3 3 3 9 9   6 28
6 Reading 15   5 0 2 13 6   4 1 3 13 15   5 28
7 Preston North End 16   3 3 2 12 11   4 3 1 13 9   5 27
8 Fulham 15   4 3 1 20 8   3 2 2 14 10   16 26
9 Aston Villa 16   5 3 0 13 7   2 2 4 5 8   3 26
10 Barnsley 16   3 3 3 15 18   4 1 2 10 7   0 25

Info from this website so haven't checked the figures

http://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/daterange/fromdate:2016-Oct-14/todate:2017-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

7 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

We drop to 14th on that table and 3 points above the relegation zone if you plot it since the start of December.

Yep, we have been poor recently, can't disagree with that. I was looking on the basis of Bruce's whole tenure. 

If you plot it from Bruce taking over until after the Burton game on Boxing day, we are 6th, three points off the top teams (Newcastle & Brighton again!)

Recent form is worrying but hoping a few transfers will get us back on track 

Edited by Xela

11 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Because recent form has been terrible after a decent enough start.

Since the start of December, we have played 9 games that matter. Of those, we won three. Three others have occurred after the man who is, to my mind, by far and away our best player, left the club to play an international tournament. Unsurprisingly our results have dipped in those games. 

My question is why you think the period of time since the start of December is a likely predictor of future performance. 

Â