Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

That was not the case for me. What he did when he came in is wipe the slate clean and sent out a message that you train hard under me, do the right things, bust your bollocks trying to impress then you will be given a fair crack of the whip and a chance. In fairness to Bruce he has pretty given every player he inherited some game time so not one of them can say they didn't get a chance.

What he has shown with McCormack is that if you don't toe the line under him then you will be called out on it and disciplined leaving you and the other payers in no doubt that not giving your all will not be tolerated.

McCormack hasn't behaved the way he has because Gabby has been given a chance. If anything Gabby should have been the inspiration for McCormack and he should have seen him busting his bollocks in training, getting back into shape and thought I am not allowing him to jump into my place I am going to do all I can to ensure he doesn't.

What you can guarantee with how Bruce has managed us since he arrived is that players will know that whilst he has shown he is a fair man by judging players on what they do under him he has also shown he is not one to be crossed if you don't toe the line under him.

Good post and I understand your thoughts.  It's just what you (and likely Bruce in all fairness) see as a clean slate.  I see as a blind eye.  IMO, Bruce could have prevented a lot of the lack of commitment we continue to see, not just in the McCormack case, if he had started with the tough stance against lack of effort rather than turning a blind eye to all that had gone on previously. 

I'm not saying you or Bruce deliberately think this way.....but the turning a blind eye vs. it's a clean slate makes a subtle distinction whether the player gets punished for failing the manager, or for failing the club.

In fairness to Bruce he has not once made any excuses, he has said on more than one occasion that the performance was not good enough. He has dropped players from the match day squad when the standard was not good enough, he is no shrinking violet. 

His problem has been he can only push it so far with a squad like ours, before he bites off his nose to spite his face - we just can't afford to drop points. He is between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully a few more faces this window will improve this aspect. Undoubtedly, with Kodjia and Ayew returning will help matters again, hopefully Ayew will want to play himself out of the club.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thunderball said:

In fairness to Bruce he has not once made any excuses, he has said on more than one occasion that the performance was not good enough. He has dropped players from the match day squad when the standard was not good enough, he is no shrinking violet. 

His problem has been he can only push it so far with a squad like ours, before he bites off his nose to spite his face - we just can't afford to drop points. He is between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully a few more faces this window will improve this aspect. Undoubtedly, with Kodjia and Ayew returning will help matters again, hopefully Ayew will want to play himself out of the club.

Great post.

Bringing his signings in will strengthen his hand further in the dressing room allowing Bruce to tell those free riders on the back of AVFC to do one. But he will need more than one window to do this.

Giving Bruce to this time next year the Villa squad will be unrecognisable and much the better for it probably finishing first in the Championship if Villa don't gain promotion this season.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2017 at 19:42, Stratvillan said:

Not his players though. This is why he needs time to build. 

Well they are. They may not be all the players he'd want, in an ideal world, but they are his all the same. Managers don't get years to build anymore, he still has to get the best out of what he has and I'm not sure he is at this very moment. 

I still trust him, of course, and he certainly needs at least a couple of windows before we can really start to judge. So it was a slight overreaction after a very disappointing afternoon. Again. 

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My question is why you think the period of time since the start of December is a likely predictor of future performance. 

I don't really see it as a likely 'predictor of future performance' but it's a trend which is concerning and more the way I expected results to be like under Steve Bruce.

Memo to SB:

Please bomb squad the following

Hutton, Richards, Westwood, Gardner, Bacuna, RHM, McC (if guilty) & Gaby

We dont want the newbies picking up bad habits

Out with that cancerous shite.

• Like 2

I am starting to think that SB shaming Mcormack was to push him out this window and generate some money and wages for a forward that would suit his system better. Otherwise that little git would be quite happily taking his wages and not turning up for the rest of the season. Now he has no choice but to just leave. Think that's why Bruce said it is the first time he said he's every done it, because in this case, it was a lost cause to begin with. 

Well done indeed young skywalker. 

He has seen EXACTLY what we have all seen and got in EXACTLY the type of players we would all have liked to see arrive. 

Remember back to last summer. We were all sitting here wondering why we had so little in midfield and pretty much put our faith in RDM knowing what he was doing and being a midfielder himself what he was about. We were almost making excuses for him and really just hoping for the best,  hoping he had seen something good in eg Gardner which gave him confidence we had enough. 

Today there is no such feeling like that at all.  Its plain as the nose on your face why these players are here. 

And the whole unit put together for less than half the price of McCormack. 

I am a happy bunny indeed. 

If this doesn't work now I truly will believe that there is some kind of voodoo curse on us. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â