Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

By the sounds of things he had us playing good and creating chances Today for the first half and we arent far off being a good solid team now imo. I like what I heard about Lansbury Today, that he had a good impact on the game until he tired.  When we hopefully add a Hourihane and Bree we will be so much stronger, add to that Kodjia and Ayew  coming back or even adding another quality attacking player which looks a possibility then we are well set with a solid squad but unfortunately it looks like we are getting to this point a bit too late in the season to get the playoffs spot but ya never know, 1 or hopefully 2 of the teams from 2nd to 6th will hopefully hit some bad form and we capitalise. 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's got more of a task than he realised but I'm not sure he sees exactly what's wrong.

You cannot have the likes of Richards, Gabby and now sadly it seems, McCormack training with the whole team every day. Let alone in the squad. Let alone bloody starting! They need to be totally cast aside, it's the only way.

The lack of effort, professionalism, seeing that you can get away with not trying... it all spreads. Grealish, Bacuna, who's to say Andre Green isn't next?

Hey look, your wages still came in this month, and you were garbage. And you've fallen out of the team anyway. Why not go out? Why not spend four nights a week spending thousands on champagne and women?

He's brought Gab back, and now Richards. I don't like it. He's taking McCormack on so that's a positive sign.

Hopefully getting in some serious 100% starters like Lansbury and Hourihane can change the culture of the team. Effort and application is required here. Although Lansbury has been a huge drinker in the past, so fingers crossed he doesn't get dragged out on one of the lads' benders.

I agree, except, I would argue that when you bring Gabby (and now Richards) back on board, you set the pattern that taking the piss for a while is no big deal.  You'll be forgiven soon enough.  If on the other hand ,you ban Gabby for failure to train, or require him to train alone after hours, until his contract is up or he's gone, then you make a very different statement.  A statement that prevents McCormack from ever getting this far.  Bruce said today "I won't put up with it."   But his track record at Villa, already proves otherwise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa.

one manager that couldnt get Netherlands to the Euros when 3 teams out of a group qualified and another that walked out on his last club in 3 days

yeah they would take us far

4 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I agree, except, I would argue that when you bring Gabby (and now Richards) back on board, you set the pattern that taking the piss for a while is no big deal.  You'll be forgiven soon enough.  If on the other hand ,you ban Gabby for failure to train, or require him to train alone after hours, until his contract is up or he's gone, then you make a very different statement.  A statement that prevents McCormack from ever getting this far.  Bruce said today "I won't put up with it."   But his track record at Villa, already proves otherwise.

Maybe he hasn't put up with it? There's nothing to suggest Gabby, or Richards, have been out of line since Bruce took over.

11 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa.

11 hours ago, VillaCas said:

It is possible to be unhappy with an aspect of the managers performance without that meaning you want him replaced - at the moment we are regressing under Bruce and it's no surprise that people are looking critically at his decisions. 

We all knew this was not going to be 5 minute job or a walk in the park.

The extent of our free fall was not going to be remedied by the introduction alone of any new manager, that has been in evidence.

Steve Bruce has managed to secure an encouraging amount of points to stave off relegation and ease the pressure on the club.

We all knew the substance of the play was unconvincing and that despite the good results, the football was not really believable.

even one window is a lot to ask.

given a reasonable amount of time, he will along with the others he will fix this, but they are not magicians.

Albion were much like us as predictable as hell and as fickle as the weather, until Pulis introduce a bit of ugly stuff, which is necessary....but the Albion purists took some convincing.

Everyone has there own opinions of this team, I have disliked it for many moons, many are not my kind of players.

i have every confidence that with Tony's support, Steve will fix this but I think one window is still too soon.

ps if questioning him after every set back, when the job is still WIP is what folk want, then I'm sure he can live with that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

A strong finish to the season with a settled side and formation and 2 or 3 additions this week and then we can look to hit the ground running next season .

Bruce has still not found his best system yet but he will do .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

i have every confidence that with Tony's support, Steve will fix this but I think one window is still too soon.

One window is far far too soon for a complete recovery, however, he needs to show progress before the end of the season. Even with the unbalanced squad he needs to deliver more. After £100m+ spend more will be demanded Lower half will not be acceptable. At the moment we seem to be going backwards and Bruce's early form is beginning to look like a false dawn. I predicted 10-12th when he took over and that is we're we are heading - that won't be good enough 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

How many do you want to appoint......1 every 15 games;)

So no blame can be apportioned to the manager unless it is for the sole reason of wanting him sacked! He can receive plaudits when we win but we are not allowed to be critical of him when we screw up!

Now I know the rules of the forum after all these years.

Edited by pacbuddies

To be fair despite gabby being pretty lame he has at least been professional and is trying just lacks any real quality anymore. McCormack for me is a complete disgrace and I put him in the Lescott category. Get out of our club you lump of lard

Bruce obviously set about changing our fortunes immediately when he got here. That meant getting us up the table without worrying about the style of football = successful. 

He's now trying to bring in HIS type of footballer to the club and if Lansbury, Bree and Hourihane are evidence of his type of player then I can certainly see a positive future ahead for us with him as manager. 

This season is not the season to judge him by. Yes, you can argue he had time to get us into the play offs but we all know in truth that he was left with a threadbare midfield, a dodgy right back and one quality striker. 

I'm not even sure we can judge him over the remainder of the season as we will probably tail off once the players get it in their heads that the play offs are beyond their reach. 

I'm happy to give him the rest of this season, the summer transfer window and the first 10 games of next season. I really do think that, after this season and the next transfer window, we should be in a place where he has in place everything he needs to hit the ground running next season and I'd expect after 10 games, with his squad of players, we should be in the top two and with a minimum of 20-22 points from the first 30 available. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bunnski said:

By the sounds of things he had us playing good and creating chances Today for the first half and we arent far off being a good solid team now imo. I like what I heard about Lansbury Today, that he had a good impact on the game until he tired.  When we hopefully add a Hourihane and Bree we will be so much stronger, add to that Kodjia and Ayew  coming back or even adding another quality attacking player which looks a possibility then we are well set with a solid squad but unfortunately it looks like we are getting to this point a bit too late in the season to get the playoffs spot but ya never know, 1 or hopefully 2 of the teams from 2nd to 6th will hopefully hit some bad form and we capitalise. 

It was RDM-esque performance IMO, reminded me a little of the Forrest game, dominated the first half, pathetically fell away in the second. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, striker said:

I have posted previously that it may not do any harm at all for Villa to spend one more season in the Championship to allow Xia and Bruce to rebuilt the club.

After yesterday's revelations from Bruce concerning McCormack and the indiscipline he has found at the club during the short time he has been at the Villa it should be obvious to every Villa fan that it's going to take more than one transfer window and a few months of new manager bounce to stabilise the club. As we've seen last season trying that while in the Premiership has severe consequences.

It is therefore unfair in the extreme to ask for the manager's head at a time when he has inherited the very same problems suffered or caused by previous managers while improving on past results with basically the same players.

Yes to Villa fans Bruce has made some curious decisions concerning team selection. No-one could understand why Gabby was selected ahead of McCormack. Now we know. No-one could understand why Gestede was sold when both Ayew and Kodjia were off to the AN yet I've seen time and again on here posters crucifying Gestede for how poor he was and indeed some calling him a bean pole. Villa were offered their money back on a rubbish player and Bruce rightly bit their arm off, not only due to the player's ability (or lack of) but to start the rebuilding process.

Bruce has shown not once but four times that he is more than capable of getting promotion out of the Championship. The football hasn't been pretty so far because he has had to set up the team to compensate for a massive hole in the engine room and an unbalanced squad.

To rectify that and inherited indiscipline within the club it will take time. Give him that time ffs.

Excellent post mate - several very good points .

42 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

So no blame can be apportioned to the manager unless it is for the sole reason of wanting him sacked! He can receive plaudits when we win but we are not allowed to be critical of him when we screw up!

Clearly not because that isn't even close to what TRO said or implied.

12 hours ago, TRO said:

How many do you want to appoint......1 every 15 games;)

I accept the humour but we can find him at fault - as I do - without even remotely suggesting he should go.

Getting rid of him would be utter madness. Additionally even if we don't do too well this season he must be kept on, which in turn means give him a summer budget, and in turn means give him next season.

Mo more mad mid season changes ffs !!!!

20 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

That was not the case for me. What he did when he came in is wipe the slate clean and sent out a message that you train hard under me, do the right things, bust your bollocks trying to impress then you will be given a fair crack of the whip and a chance. In fairness to Bruce he has pretty given every player he inherited some game time so not one of them can say they didn't get a chance.

What he has shown with McCormack is that if you don't tow the line under him then you will be called out on it and disciplined leaving you and the other payers in no doubt that not giving your all will not be tolerated.

McCormack hasn't behaved the way he has because Gabby has been given a chance. If anything Gabby should have been the inspiration for McCormack and he should have seen him busting his bollocks in training, getting back into shape and thought I am not allowing him to jump into my place I am going to do all I can to ensure he doesn't.

What you can guarantee with how Bruce has managed us since he arrived is that players will know that whilst he has shown he is a fair man by judging players on what they do under him he has also shown he is not one to be crossed if you don't tow the line under him.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

of course he is not beyond criticism that would be foolish......but in some cases, it wasn't just criticism was it, it was questioning the appointment or alluding to it....and may I say despite the wins he still had his doubters, so its not the one way street you insinuate.....I was just questioning the validity of the criticism, I think it is misplaced.

Its a case of whether you blame him for the collapse or whether you blame the players.....I say its the players.

My personal opinion is we still have too many weak players both mentally and physically in the squad.....too many of questionable application.

Despite the criticism of Jedinak and yes his legs have gone.....teams struggle without a dedicated DM and i think we missed him.

............not sure what you mean about the rules of the forum.

Edited by TRO

44 minutes ago, striker said:

I have posted previously that it may not do any harm at all for Villa to spend one more season in the Championship to allow Xia and Bruce to rebuilt the club.

After yesterday's revelations from Bruce concerning McCormack and the indiscipline he has found at the club during the short time he has been at the Villa it should be obvious to every Villa fan that it's going to take more than one transfer window and a few months of new manager bounce to stabilise the club. As we've seen last season trying that while in the Premiership has severe consequences.

It is therefore unfair in the extreme to ask for the manager's head at a time when he has inherited the very same problems suffered or caused by previous managers while improving on past results with basically the same players.

Yes to Villa fans Bruce has made some curious decisions concerning team selection. No-one could understand why Gabby was selected ahead of McCormack. Now we know. No-one could understand why Gestede was sold when both Ayew and Kodjia were off to the AN yet I've seen time and again on here posters crucifying Gestede for how poor he was and indeed some calling him a bean pole. Villa were offered their money back on a rubbish player and Bruce rightly bit their arm off, not only due to the player's ability (or lack of) but to start the rebuilding process.

Bruce has shown not once but four times that he is more than capable of getting promotion out of the Championship. The football hasn't been pretty so far because he has had to set up the team to compensate for a massive hole in the engine room and an unbalanced squad.

To rectify that and inherited indiscipline within the club it will take time. Give him that time ffs.

good post....On the money

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I accept the humour but we can find him at fault - as I do - without even remotely suggesting he should go.

Getting rid of him would be utter madness. Additionally even if we don't do too well this season he must be kept on, which in turn means give him a summer budget, and in turn means give him next season.

Mo more mad mid season changes ffs !!!!

Terry, we all have our opinions.

Steve Bruce has just stopped the rot and probably in doing so has given a little bit of hope a bit too soon.

We all know with the odd exception we have being playing shite despite his decent haul of points, just lately it has caught up with us a bit and the frustration is getting the better of us.

I was more than peeved at yesterdays performance, mainly because we had done the hard work in the first half.....but i still think that there is a group that mentally get the deck chairs out when we are leading.

Cloughie used to say the crucial time to get the tackles in, is just after you have scored.....These are tried and tested observations......We rarely do it.

Steve Bruce will have his days when criticism will be justified.....just like Klopp could be yesterday, Although i still think it was the players there too, if i am honest.

Managers are responsible I accept that, but there is only so much they can do when the players cross that white line.

I know you put a lot of store in to tactics and I am not dismissing them, but for me, I think they are referred to by folk , by default too quickly.

Our team at present is so imbalanced, so fickle, so unpredictable, so unreliable, that you could swap players around to hearts content and it would make marginal difference.

hasn't got the personnel he wants at present......when he has and we have some balance, some grit, some determination, some eye of the tiger.......then a bit of criticism may be more apt.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

A strong finish to the season with a settled side and formation and 2 or 3 additions this week and then we can look to hit the ground running next season .

Bruce has still not found his best system yet but he will do .

hand on heart.....do any of us know what the best team is, in light of the level of flaws in the playing squad.

you could change your opinion from day to day with this lot.

Edited by TRO

Â