Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He needs a window or 2 to sort the squad out. We have been shit for years and I doubt any manager could get much out of the current bunch. I certainly won't be blaming Bruce just yet as the players need your shoulder more than their fair share of the responsibility. Sacking Bruce would be unbelievably stupid.

• Like 2

I've calmed down about now. Tonight really was his fault. That team in a 4-4-2 was a recipe for disaster. Wrong formation and anyone that goes with jedinak in a two man midfield really is asking for trouble.

Horrific decision making from Bruce, I'm really pissed off with him tonight. Really poor tactically, so poor I can't find the words. That game was thrown away before kick off 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think at the moment every team wants it more, we seem to have this "we are Aston Villa, we are bigger then you therefore we are better" attitude, and us as fans have it too, we aren't entitled to beat anyone anymore, our heyday has well gone and we need to readjust our collective mind set and actually realise we aren't that good anymore.

I think I can safely speak for every single person on this forum, not on of us think we can turn up to a game as Aston Villa and assume we've won.

That's complete bollocks. 

Edited by Don_Simon

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

He needs a window or 2 to sort the squad out. We have been shit for years and I doubt any manager could get much out of the current bunch. I certainly won't be blaming Bruce just yet as the players need your shoulder more than their fair share of the responsibility. Sacking Bruce would be unbelievably stupid.

7 players that weren't here last season played today. I just don't think its down to having bad players. We cant just swap and change players when ever things go wrong, that's one of the reasons why we are where we are..Zero continuity.

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I think I can safely speak for every single person on this forum, not on of us think we can turn up to a game as Aston Villa and assume we've won.

That's complete bollocks. 

So people on this forum weren't tearing their hair out cos we didn't steam roll Burton Albion?

....right. 

I think we were 11 points off the playoffs when he came. We're now 10. Which is pretty disappointing. 

Whatever impact he had initially has well and truly worn off. 

There's many things that aren't his fault, it's not his fault he has to play Alan Hutton. It's no his fault that he's been left seriously short on strikers for a month, it's not his fault that baker is made from glass and it's not his fault he was left with some of the worst midfield options in the league. 

There's some worrying questions and signs for the future under Bruce but this really is a shit squad that's been built for him. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

7 players that weren't here last season played today. I just don't think its down to having bad players. We cant just swap and change players when ever things go wrong, that's one of the reasons why we are where we are..Zero continuity.

Yes but the man who signed them is also no longer here. The manager needs to bring his own players in, then he can be fairly judged. We all know that the midfield is the weakest part of the team. By the sounds of it Bruce is looking at 2 CM's to fix this. Our last 3 managers have contributed to this terrible squad and Bruce has the track record to sort out this mess. I can't think of a better manager in our current state.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we were 11 points off the playoffs when he came. We're now 10. Which is pretty disappointing. 

Whatever impact he had initially has well and truly worn off. 

There's many things that aren't his fault, it's not his fault he has to play Alan Hutton. It's no his fault that he's been left seriously short on strikers for a month, it's not his fault that baker is made from glass and it's not his fault he was left with some of the worst midfield options in the league. 

There's some worrying questions and signs for the future under Bruce but this really is a shit squad that's been built for him. 

Whilst all this is true. A 4-4-2 with Jedinak in the middle really was a shocking tactical cock up. I called it a disaster before kick off. I also called it that we would draw a blank. An experienced manager such as Bruce should not be making a mistake that glaring. I really have to question his thinking on that one.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You stand by calling him a word removed for losing a football match. 

What class. 

No. For playing Gabby again who's **** shit

It's not like I woke up today and thought Gabby is a shit word removed. I'm sure if you were to peruse years of posting you'd find that I'm consistent on this

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

And get who?

name someone realistic who has a move impressive cv at this level than bruce

to say this job is too big fir him is quite embarrassing 

Exactly, to change manager now would really prove how much of a laughing stock this club has really become.

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Yes but the man who signed them is also no longer here. The manager needs to bring his own players in, then he can be fairly judged. We all know that the midfield is the weakest part of the team. By the sounds of it Bruce is looking at 2 CM's to fix this. Our last 3 managers have contributed to this terrible squad and Bruce has the track record to sort out this mess. I can't think of a better manager in our current state.

Yes ok he deserves that but its just a never ending circle.

Club rotten to the core? Let's weed out the problems then.

Off the top of my head

Martin O'Neill overspending on dross like Habib Beye, Curtis Davies, Richard Dunne, James Collins and giving them big contracts and then buying Heskey instead of a better striker thus failing to get top 6 was the problem. MON gone.

John Robertson with his antiquated training methods of no structured sessions etc was the problem. Gone

Houllier buying loads of foreigners who didn't understand the English game, coupled with MON's wasted buys were the problem. Houllier gone.

McLeish's drab defensive football was the problem. McLeish gone.

Culverhouse and Karsa bullying players was the problem. Gone.

Keane bullying players was the problem. Gone.

Poor players still hanging around. In the bomb squad.

Lambert was the problem. Lambert gone. 

Sherwood was the problem. Sherwood gone.

Remi Garde fancy foreign manager was the problem. Gone.

The owner not spending enough was the problem. Owner replaced

The playing staff, coaches, goalkeeper coaches, fitness trainers, owner, manager, board, literally everyone associated with the club has been rooted out and replaced apart from a couple of players.

So unless the problem is either the presence of Gabby or Hutton, I don't believe the club is 'rotten to the core' as that would imply there's something that's been wrong all this time that we can rip out and replace. There isn't. It's not that simple. The other side of the coin to all of the above is that all the players who were since branded 'shit' were at one point respected players, who then went on to be good again afterwards. MON is now the NI manager, Houllier ex-Liverpool, Marseille, very successful and experienced manager, James Collins still a decent player in the premier league, Curtis Davies still decent, Lambert beating us with Wolves.

Personally, I think there's an element of traffic line jumping, where you see traffic moving faster in another lane so move over only to see your original lane start moving. So you move back but the other lane moves again. It's the result of not being consistent with your approach and ending up always picking the wrong thing because you keep changing.

So no matter what, we need to stick with Bruce for at least this season and probably next. And we need some consistency in players too. We need stability. These players have all been proven other places before. We now have a good owner, a good manager, we've bought some good players, we need to buy a few more good players, then we need to settle for a bit.

So just for once, the best thing to do now is nothing. Not react and try to change something that isn't actually wrong but just needs time. We've been overreacting for 10 years and it's got us here. Let's just trundle on for a bit and get some stability.

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 4

I never seen Steve Bruce as a messiah.....but a good honest manager.

one type, I think we need.

a man with similar values to Graham Taylor.

I am not going to lay blame, its too many contributors......but this business of buying and more importantly playing for long periods players that are not up to it, has cost us dearly.

SB has now got the dilemma that He brings a player in from the squad and solves one problem and creates another such is the imbalance of this sorry outfit....you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear......I have watched week in week out, month in month out, year in year out.....flaws in the squad that have just, been allowed to fester and be ignored.

There is a fundamental problem with us, we all know certain things like midfield and let's be fair, you cannot simply keep entering games and sweep that major problem under the carpet....however at present it has and is manifesting issues in other departments, to point the whole team is being effected.

we will not get well keep changing managers.....He has to hang around until he fixes it....He can do it and he must be allowed the time to do it.

I would rather he take time and get the right characters in, rather than panic buy and buy just who is available in the first window.

as much as we need to buy there is a desperate need to breed too.

we used to be doubtful as a first team and formidable in the academy, we seem to be not even that anymore.

i do not really know what our problem really is.....keep blaming managers seems too easy to me.

Its an enigma.;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Villa fans have got a bit of a reputation these days for being impatient and quick to judge managers and going by this thread that's absolutely deserved. There are definitely things Bruce hasn't done as well as I'd like but the talk of getting rid if just madness on multiple levels.

What is our style of play, our plan a and plan b

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Club rotten to the core? Let's weed out the problems then.

Off the top of my head

Martin O'Neill overspending on dross like Habib Beye, Curtis Davies, Richard Dunne, James Collins and giving them big contracts and then buying Heskey instead of a better striker thus failing to get top 6 was the problem. MON gone.

John Robertson with his antiquated training methods of no structured sessions etc was the problem. Gone

Houllier buying loads of foreigners who didn't understand the English game, coupled with MON's wasted buys were the problem. Houllier gone.

McLeish's drab defensive football was the problem. McLeish gone.

Culverhouse and Karsa bullying players was the problem. Gone.

Keane bullying players was the problem. Gone.

Poor players still hanging around. In the bomb squad.

Lambert was the problem. Lambert gone. 

Sherwood was the problem. Sherwood gone.

Remi Garde fancy foreign manager was the problem. Gone.

The owner not spending enough was the problem. Owner replaced

The playing staff, coaches, goalkeeper coaches, fitness trainers, owner, manager, board, literally everyone associated with the club has been rooted out and replaced apart from a couple of players.

So unless the problem is either the presence of Gabby or Hutton, I don't believe the club is 'rotten to the core' as that would imply there's something that's been wrong all this time that we can rip out and replace. There isn't. It's not that simple.

Personally, I think there's an element of traffic line jumping, where you see traffic moving faster in another lane so move over only to see your original lane start moving. So you move back but the other lane moves again. It's the result of not being consistent with your approach and ending up always picking the wrong thing because you keep changing.

So no matter what, we need to stick with Bruce for at least this season and probably next. And we need some consistency in players too. We need stability. These players have all been proven other places before. We now have a good owner, a good manager, we've bought some good players, we need to buy a few more good players, then we need to settle for a bit.

I think that penultimate paragraph has a lot of merit.....there is no galvanising....its just attempts a quick fixes.

I have difficulty blaming any individual it just been a catalogue of poor decisions over years.

Â