Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I can't understand questioning the manager at the moment.

He's made mistakes and can obviously be criticised for them, but talking about binning him or questioning the choice is stupid. He's using a half baked squad that started badly, and in coming in but results to make us in the conversation to be promoted.

It'll take more than the current problems to say he needs to go. Playing Gabby isn't a hanging offence.

I get that we in midfield a poor bunch to choose from but what system are we playing because I am not seeing a pattern or system if any kind.

SGT god bless him would have looked at what he had and worked out how to get the best out of his match winners. It appears Brucie's plan is to hit it long to Gabby and hope for set pieces.

• Like 1

With the new manager effect waning what's revealed is a very basic tactical approach and a lack of ideas. He needs to be backed to the hilt this window but if we don't finish in the play offs he should be sacked. 

I'm increasingly concerned by his decisions TBH, Bacuna on the left is a ridiculous idea and proved to be just that today.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I think it's bonkers to change the Manager ( just as I did when we did it last time) but I think it's fair to want the Manager to change.

I've said and thought for several weeks he is too cautious.

Our defensive record is good under him, but the balance isn't right. We sit deep, we seem to have abandoned the pressing that we started to do quite well with him, we rarely have two, let alone four or five, players in the box, ( except when chasing, and even then rarely), and our creative players are restricted.

IMO a more aggressive, attacking, approach is sorely needed_ yes it will come with risks but apart from anything else we have nothing to lose this season !

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

With the new manager effect waning what's revealed is a very basic tactical approach and a lack of ideas. He needs to be backed to the hilt this window but if we don't finish in the play offs he should be sacked. 

Needs to be given at least 2 windows and a year to build his type of team - it won't be pretty to watch but may be effective given time .

although we have spent big I fear many of those we signed have come for the big wages rather than desire to play for villa 

I would without a doubt go with five at the back with the squad we have and play with wing back, Amavi and Bacuna each side. a 3-5-2 tactic would let us put more bodies into the positions where we are weakest, attackers and midfielders, it would let Amavi bomb forward and he would not be in the same pressure defensively, as one of the center backs would cover/support him. 4-4-2 is not working, 4-2-3-1 is not working. Try something else and most importantly, stop using Gabby, Hutton and co. 

• Like 4

No manager gets a year unless either results or performances are very good.

We were managing the former despite the lack of the latter.

If we get neither he won't, and shouldn't, get another year.

Fwiw I think he will fix both, but we've gone backwards the last month, no question.

Unless things absolutely nosedive Bruce should get until at least a few months into next season. We really can't keep changing managers.

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes, the last few years have been rotten.  We've gotten rid of the owner, the majority of the affected players and have had a whole heap of changes this season from top to bottom.  So, as I say, please explain why we're currently "rotten to the core"?  I don't get it.

Because a club in decline for as long as we were doesn't just recover instantly overnight. There's still an air of negativity around the place, understandably given what's gone on these last few years. Some of the players from last season are still around and that loser mentality will affect other players. I mean, look at how often we sign players who have proven themselves elsewhere only for them to do poorly here.

I'm not saying this is the only reason or even the biggest reason but it is a factor.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Unless things absolutely nosedive Bruce should get until at least a few months into next season. We really can't keep changing managers.

Because a club in decline for as long as we were doesn't just recover instantly overnight. There's still an air of negativity around the place, understandably given what's gone on these last few years. Some of the players from last season are still around and that loser mentality will affect other players. I mean, look at how often we sign players who have proven themselves elsewhere only for them to do poorly here.

I'm not saying this is the only reason or even the biggest reason but it is a factor.

I honestly couldn't disagree more.  I think the the air around the place is overwhelmingly positive - aside from the last few results.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I honestly couldn't disagree more.  I think the the air around the place is overwhelmingly positive - aside from the last few results.

It's more positive than it was but there are still issues. It's very difficult to stamp out weakness and a losing mentality from a team that for years has been so closely associated with those two things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Definitely. You get the odd person being negative, but Villa Park is generally positive and pro-Bruce. You're always going to get message boards with those who go against the grain, though.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's more positive than it was but there are still issues. It's very difficult to stamp out weakness and a losing mentality from a team that for years has been so closely associated with those two things.

Just a tad different from "rotten to the core", then?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Useless word removed. He got new manager bounce. He's no better than RDM and he brought Gabby back so for that he can **** off

I'm interested to know whether, one hour later, you stand by this post? 

What absolute dribble. 

• Like 3

Unless we dangerously flirt with relegation this season then sacking SB would be the most moronic thing this club could do. 

As long as we go up next season then SB has my backing. Yes it's not great at the mo but there are reasons for that. Until we have SB's side out there losing and playing badly there are no reasons to call for his head.

Fickle as **** fans sometimes. Utterly brain dead. 

Keep calm for now.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

My point is..... and has been for a few weeks (despite ridicule) is that while the players need improving they are NOT as bad as what we have just watched or what we watched v Norwich, Cardiff, Leeds etc. And despite ridicule again, results (a few weeks ago) really did mask performance. 

Dire.... and whilst the players are clearly not good enough to get promoted... I'm questioning (that's all) whether the manager is good enough.

I have to say, that is very much not the impression I get from reading your posts. 

You can't have it both ways. Either the manager has done well to get 25 points from 15 games with poor players, or the players are excellent and he's really underperforming. 

I was expecting him to be someone who took our limited squad (polite way of saying shit players) and got us organised and working hard with then some good additions in Jan to keep us going

sorry but we're not organised, we're back to not looking like we actually know how to football half the time, we have no shape of purpose, and we aren't working hard either, still plenty of bottling tackles and jogging round

it wasn't acceptable under Lambert, here we are 4 managers later and it's still happening

apart from getting a good partnership out of baker and Chester and stopping the last ten minute goals I honestly don't see what he's done

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Don't know if it's his fault or the boards but we knew January was a make or break month being still in touch for the play offs.

We needed to hit the ground running but instead are midfield is still shocking and the fact Gabby is now our main forward is criminal!! Did he think he could actually get Gabby playing? If so that's shocking I wasn't a Rudy fan but we should never of let him go leaving Gabby as our main attacking threat for such a crucial month.

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Even SGT started slowly... 3 wins from first 11 games and he had the benefit of a pre-season. He had to tinker with the team and bring his players in. 

Have faith in Bruce :)

How long has Lambert been at Wolves, they were more organised and wanted more

• Like 3

Â