Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

When you look at the players he has to work with, how many are really good enough to consistently perform at a promotion winning level?

I can think of Baker, Chester and Kodjia. 

This squad is still too full of players not up to the task. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

@TRO

I think we're beyond the "patience" point.

We need to act

We have 16 days to sell/loan out/payoff the shit and to buy/loan replacements so that we Cleanse the club (better players prefered - but anyone - we really are that far gone)

You cant plug holes in a titanic once its hit the Iceberg

You need a new ship

I agree GH and despite what I say i think we need to get Lansbury and Hourihane over the line

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When you look at the players he has to work with, how many are really good enough to consistently perform at a promotion winning level?

Looking at Bruce yesterday towards the end of the game and afterwards he knows what a gigantism task he has ahead of him to get the Villa back where they belong. It's going to take time and probably more time than even Bruce realised.

Its therefore up to the fans to give him that time and it may mean at least one more season in the Championship before we see a squad and team good enough not only to get promoted but to be able to stay in the Premiership.

Bruce isn't stupid and in fact he has been very honest in his interviews about recent performances which haven't been acceptable to him nor the fans. Throughout his career he has been a winner and knows what it takes to get out of this league so don't turn against him before he has a chance to get his own players in and let's all have the patience to let him get on with it.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

them and another 6, 8 or 12!

Just recovering from an arthoscopy yesterday......go on make my day:)

ps never seen the game or listened to it.....sounds like I was in the best place....hospital.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My shout too fwiw.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just recovering from an arthoscopy yesterday......go on make my day:)

ps never seen the game or listened to it.....sounds like I was in the best place....hospital.

The squad needs an Arthroscopy

36 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Doug would never have gotten his 'Deadly' moniker if he was still in football today because he'd just be getting through managers at a pretty normal rate. 

Seeing as it came from his angling hobby I don't think that's true.

19 minutes ago, striker said:

Looking at Bruce yesterday towards the end of the game and afterwards he knows what a gigantism task he has ahead of him to get the Villa back where they belong. It's going to take time and probably more time than even Bruce realised.

Its therefore up to the fans to give him that time and it may mean at least one more season in the Championship before we see a squad and team good enough not only to get promoted but to be able to stay in the Premiership.

Bruce isn't stupid and in fact he has been very honest in his interviews about recent performances which haven't been acceptable to him nor the fans. Throughout his career he has been a winner and knows what it takes to get out of this league so don't turn against him before he has a chance to get his own players in and let's all have the patience to let him get on with it.

very good post.

I know a manager is expected to protect his players but in view of the amount of false dawns we fans have had to endure.....He needs to find a way of getting to us the size of all this rescue job.

He needs to find away of getting himself this time he badly needs.

Edited by TRO

Baring 3/4 players there is no ounce of consistency in any of these players individual games.

How on earth can any manager organise that.....you just don't know what you are going to get from one game to the next.

• Like 1

I'm happy Bruce is as likely as anyone to sort us out.

But equally I don't see how he is helping players be consistent by still not having a settled method of playing, not a settled side....by choice, largely,

Players need to know who will be where without thinking, that's harder when personnel and systems change so regularly.

Yes I see sense in changing players who underperform on the one hand, but there is an argument for , by now, knowing your best 11/13 and sticking with them. Then as Manager get the best out of them - those things are surely a managers job.

And, IMO, whatever the system is, it needs to be more positive than we currently are( especially away from home) and play on the front foot more rather than just when chasing.

I accept his view has been to tighten us up and that this would risk some of that.

IMO all this is within the managers control.

Struggling to think of a decent performance since he came in. To begin with he was grinding out results which was a welcome relief, now it feels like physics is catching up with us. We know this squad is capable of playing well as they did on occasions for RDM. It's clear we've get tons of issues but I have a growing concern for Bruce. He's made us much more solid which is great but as ever it's all in the balance and we are still miles away 

The only thing Bruce has really done wrong IMO is picking Gabby these last few games - it's just not going to work and he really needs to see that.

The new manager effect is now over but he still hasn't really been able to put his mark on the team with his own players yet. We need to see what this window brings before we can really judge him.

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

Some people want him gone or are least very close to it and that's who my post was aimed at.

I for one think it's not even a thought at this point, I do reserve the right to question what I see on the pitch, be that players performances or lack of cohesion, system or formation which gets anywhere near the best out of our squad. If Bruce needs 2 or 3 players then we will see how the changes our style of play an ability to win matches.

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I for one think it's not even a thought at this point, I do reserve the right to question what I see on the pitch, be that players performances or lack of cohesion, system or formation which gets anywhere near the best out of our squad. If Bruce needs 2 or 3 players then we will see how the changes our style of play an ability to win matches.

I never once said or implied that you didn't. My post wasn't aimed at you.

Edited by Mantis

Â