Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It's going to take time and maybe that time includes a few seasons in this league. No quick fix for the mess we got ourselves  into. Bruce knows how much work there is to do and he knows how shit we are.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

It is depressing. Despite a very good run of results, we have rarely looked convincing this season. It is too early to hang Bruce out to dry but he hasn't managed to make this team click and we are now no further forward. Hopefully we will sign a couple of players this month but imho we are destined to spend at least one more season in this league as I cannot see us getting in to the play offs now. 

Next season the euphoria of Xia taking over will have faded, he may not be prepared to keep investing and the real danger is that we will implode again. 

When will this nightmare end?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's going to take time and maybe that time includes a few seasons in this league. No quick fix for the mess we got ourselves  into. Bruce knows how much work there is to do and he knows how shit we are.

I agree but it doesn't necessarily mean that Bruce knows how to fix things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

What is our style of play, our plan a and plan b

when there is a bunch of players that are so imbalanced and whose form is so fickle.....a bunch where the manager struggles to rely on the majority to do the basics.....and subsequently can't trust them.

Is it any wonder that it is difficult to identify a plan.

......what is the relevance of a sales plan if your salesmen can't sell.

We are so fundamentally flawed.....we need to start again.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

when there is a bunch of players that are so imbalanced and whose form is so fickle.....a bunch where the manager struggles to rely on the majority to do the basics.....and subsequently can't trust them.

Is it any wonder that it is difficult to identify a plan.

......what is the relevance of a sales plan if your salesmen can't sell.

We are so fundamentally flawed.....we need to start again.

This could be a description of the Villa team for the last 6 years.

• Like 1

I like the honesty that Bruce dishes out after games. He tells it how it is and see what we see. He's even had a go about McCormack not taking that chance and mentioned the fact that the defending down our left side wasn't good enough for the Wolves goal. I like that. 

What I don't like is the fact he says that we don't have it in us to chase a game and that we are not creative enough in the final third etc but, he's not looking at surgery in the transfer window as we've gone down that route before and it hasn't worked. He said we will go with what we've got and he'll try to improve them. For me, that's a task too far and if he goes ahead with that plan he might well find himself replaced in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I agree but it doesn't necessarily mean that Bruce knows how to fix things.

True. Maybe he hasn't got it in him to sort this black hole which is Aston villa. The possibility of us being in this division for a few years is pretty high imo. That alone is worrying but if that's what it takes. 

• Like 1

Just listened to, and read, Bruce's comments after the game. Once again brutally honest and said it as most of us saw it.

He knows what is wrong but whether he is capable of putting it right is down to how much you rate him I guess. I personally think he is but only time will tell. He certainly needs to make 4 or 5 signings and that may well take more than this window.

There is a lot wrong with this squad and Guardiola with Mourinho and Conte as assistants would struggle to get much more out of it. The make up of the squad isn't Bruce's fault though and he needs time and backing to right the years of wrong.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

This could be a description of the Villa team for the last 6 years.

That's precisely what I am saying mike....but SB isn't Mary Poppins.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I'm really frustrated with Bruce over Agbonlahor. But I still think he is the right man for the job.

Too many fires to stamp out.....in such circumstances you are bound to get the odd burn whilst you're trying to stamp them out.

The football has been fairly poor under Bruce but the results so far have been largely decent. The squad is all over the place and he inherited 3 months into a botched season, so I think he needs some time to sort this mess out. If we are still 13th this time next year then I expect a lot of people will be running out of patience though.

31 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

It is depressing. Despite a very good run of results, we have rarely looked convincing this season. It is too early to hang Bruce out to dry but he hasn't managed to make this team click and we are now no further forward. Hopefully we will sign a couple of players this month but imho we are destined to spend at least one more season in this league as I cannot see us getting in to the play offs now. 

Next season the euphoria of Xia taking over will have faded, he may not be prepared to keep investing and the real danger is that we will implode again. 

When will this nightmare end?

Hopefully not, but maybe like when Vic Crowe took over and we had to breed our own....He did'nt last but he left RS & TB  a legacy of very decent kids to build on to create momentum that in turn allowed us to attract players.....it was and still is like a snowball down a mountain.

We have too many for too long just come for the money, with no soul.

we are seeing it with Payet now......first sign of adversity, they drop you like a stone.

I see our fix.....sticking with the manager and a very slow build.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

That's precisely what I am saying mike....but SB isn't Mary Poppins.

He also needs a lot more than a spoonful of sugar. Frankly I am sick of our club, irrespective of the manager or owner, being unable to gain traction.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have to say, that is very much not the impression I get from reading your posts. 

You can't have it both ways. Either the manager has done well to get 25 points from 15 games with poor players, or the players are excellent and he's really underperforming. 

So I cant have it that both the manager and players are underperforming at the same time.......... ok.

43 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Absolutely not, I am.pointing our that as if this point he puts 11 men on the pitch and not a team. Do you disagree

No. Why would I? Although I do think he's hamstrung a little bit right now what with AFCON and not being able to get many players in yet.

Â