Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I was just wondering.  How would I feel if the main reason my boss didn’t sack me was the expense of my severence pay?

i would absolutely be looking for work elsewhere.  If Bruce has been such a success here, why has no other club come in looking for steady hands?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave J said:

He failed twice in succession - played some total dross for long periods and when he got the chance to show the world what he could do - failed miserably - he has 4 promotions in 20 odd years of football management without ever setting the world alight - imo this is  average ?

at least 9 of them seasons were in the top flight so not like he was fighting for promotion every year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

I was just wondering.  How would I feel if the main reason my boss didn’t sack me was the expense of my severence pay?

i would absolutely be looking for work elsewhere.  If Bruce has been such a success here, why has no other club come in looking for steady hands?

because he is at one of the biggest clubs in England and on a big salary. Plus teams looking for firefighters usually go for unemplyed managers

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Similar reason we can't offload Lansbury according to reports. 40k/week? Who sanctioned that??? Can't put that on Tony. If it was Wyness I'm glad we're shot of him 

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

If Bruce has been such a success here, why has no other club come in looking for steady hands?

Bruce has never been at a bigger club and never will be. He wouldn't be interested in any other club that would realistically come in for him - he's only leaving Villa if he's sacked/pushed.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'd like to go on record, 

Regardless of my current opinion of Bruce or previous stances I may have taken. Despite how I am excited at the thought of a new manager and new direction.

I would like to make it loud and clear that I don't hate him, nor despise, nor think he is a useless manager. I want thank Steve for the extremely difficult job he did reasonably well.

Many positive factors come out from his management and I for one won't forget that if/when he leaves.

Is he my favourite manager, far from it.

But he does deserve some respect. For those that do feel very strongly about him in the negative, I would hope you could focus on the positive of a new manager.

I don't like the idea of us parting ways with him and this thread descending to Villa supporters teeing off at each other over who was right and wrong. Worse, I really don't want to see us sink the boot into Bruce.

Rant over....

Well said, he does deserve respect and thanks for his efforts, but he won't get it from some whose sense of injustice at not having their 'expectations' met is just too much to take. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

But he does deserve some respect. For those that do feel very strongly about him in the negative, I would hope you could focus on the positive of a new manager.

Well said. I fully respect fellow fans who do not like the way he sets up the team to play. Its a completely fair criticism and its fair to want him gone because of it. But its not fair to label him useless and so on. 

He didnt get us promoted but you know what? We played some pleasing stuff under Bruce and we won 47% of our games, when was the last time that happened? I am glad you asked, 1934. 

So yeah, if he goes I will be as excited to see what a new manager can bring as much as the next fan, but I wont be throwing a kick Bruce's was as I do. Hell I will even clap him if he rocks up to Villa park with another team, only if he loses mind :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, John said:

gave all he had to try to get us promoted and had nothing but good things to say about both our football club and us it's supporters.

Gave all he had???  - with what he had at his disposal!

We should have gained automatic promotion by a country mile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well said, he does deserve respect and thanks for his efforts, but he won't get it from some whose sense of injustice at not having their 'expectations' met is just too much to take. 

What a big load nonsense.

I will thank him for steering the ship around and stopping the rot but that's about all that stands out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

at least 9 of them seasons were in the top flight so not like he was fighting for promotion every year

Yes but in those 9 seasons he hardly pulled up any trees and do you not feel that 20 odd years in the English game is a long enough apprenticeship for someone to have landed one of the top jobs? 

For me it kind of shows that Bruce is generally seen as solid not spectacular - a Mr average in my opinion.

Well i'm just finishing my night shift, when I wake up around 4pm there should be some news (hopefully).

One way or the other we will know what the plan is.

Agree with Villan of Oz that whatever happens we should unite as fans and get behind Bruce or Henry, and all depends on the budget set for the season but with FFP hanging over our heads I dont think we'll be in a promotion mix this year no matter who the manager, so lets just get behind and support whoever it is.

Personally I want Henry as its an exciting new adventure

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I havent taken my time to look myself, but how many of those seasons did he get relegated or just survived relegation?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well i'm just finishing my night shift, when I wake up around 4pm there should be some news (hopefully).

One way or the other we will know what the plan is.

Agree with Villan of Oz that whatever happens we should unite as fans and get behind Bruce or Henry, and all depends on the budget set for the season but with FFP hanging over our heads I dont think we'll be in a promotion mix this year no matter who the manager, so lets just get behind and support whoever it is.

Personally I want Henry as its an exciting new adventure

I hope we do have news by 4pm today, especially with a game tonight. If there is no news and Bruce is in the dugout then I think it’s safe to assume he’s staying, and all this was all fart and no poo! 

I’m pretty sure that after being in football this long Steve Bruce has developed a pretty thick skin. I don’t recall many if any people giving him personal abuse, and criticism of his management is surely par for the course for a football manager. 

To have been in management this long and of course got promoted 4 times, lest we forget, he has obviously been a good manager. On the downside I believe he is overly cautious, certainly whilst managing us, and his style of management is becoming outdated to some extent. For these reasons only I don’t believe he can take us in the direction we’d like to go.

I think a lot of people who are wanting him to remain as our manager are thinking so because they believe the timing is wrong, or for fear of the unknown. Both valid points and as far as timing is concerned certainly not ideal. However I believe our new owners whilst having concerns will think that on balance the right thing is to make the change. It won’t be long before we all know. 

If he goes, or particularly if he stays, I wish him well. He comes across as a decent, likeable bloke, who you could sit down and have a pint with. There are always some strange people in the world, but I doubt many if any people on here personally dislike the fella. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What a big load nonsense.

I will thank him for steering the ship around and stopping the rot but that's about all that stands out.

Forget where you think he should have got us to (your expectations/my point), the things you do credit him for are almost certainly more significant than you realise.

We were very much on course to do what Sunderland just did.

That he not only avoided a second relegation, but also made us solid, reunited the squad, had us competing and yes, even gave us 'some' entertainment on the way to just missing out on promotion is a significant achievement whether you agree or not.

It clearly didn't meet your expectation, but it was a significant achievement.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Forget where you think he should have got us to (your expectations/my point), the things you do credit him for are almost certainly more significant than you realise.

We were very much on course to do what Sunderland just did.

That he not only avoided a second relegation, but also made us solid, reunited the squad, had us competing and yes, even gave us 'some' entertainment on the way to just missing out on promotion is a significant achievement whether you agree or not.

It clearly didn't meet your expectation, but it was a significant achievement.

It was a significant achievement alright to avoid relegation and miss out on promotion for all the wrong reasons.

Â