Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I keep seeing this, but there is no reason to think he will suddenly change his whole mindset, and use the youngsters, which he has not done at any time during his tenure, even when the team was crying out for fresh blood.

He won't have any choice, we need to shift at least 15 players this summer - sounds a lot but it's standard in the championship.

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I keep seeing this, but there is no reason to think he will suddenly change his whole mindset, and use the youngsters, which he has not done at any time during his tenure, even when the team was crying out for fresh blood.

Not sure Jack Grealish will agree with you.

2 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

In reality we can probably no longer match Steve Bruce's ambitions , i think he will walk.

This post caught my eye.

His ambitions now will be to join the manager's `go to ' rota with Pulis etc. Best he will ever be able to do now.

Biggest job he ever had, Matty, he said so himself, and he failed miserably.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That was a no-brainer, Tro, and one swallow does not make a summer.

I think Jack’s developing maturity and with it improved performances are to do with a) the fact he’s actually older and most of us catch on eventually to the realities of life and b) I believe John Terry had a very positive effect. Sort of a big brother figure. 

That doesn’t ignore Steve Bruce I’m sure he has a maturing influence on him too and definitely believed in him. But as far as player development is concerned his career isn’t littered with success on that front. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

This post caught my eye.

His ambitions now will be to join the manager's `go to ' rota with Pulis etc. Best he will ever be able to do now.

Biggest job he ever had, Matty, he said so himself, and he failed miserably.

Failed miserably lol

Failing miserably would have been getting relegated 1st season like what we was heading for when he came in but he turned it around. Then you could say failing miserably would have been mid table finish with no push for play offs. We got to a play off final and lost by 1 goal, that's it. 

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm so happy the financial situation got "sorted", as we can now look forward to another 1800+ pages of mind numbing debate about Bruce... 

In the Bruce thread? Madness.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week.  I suspect Bruce will leave on mutual agreement.  I think that would be best for him and for us. 

If he stays it won't be the end of the club.  We're too big for any manager to destroy our existence.  But he's not the right man for a long-term, grass roots, build up.  He'll keep us stable at a level a few places below where we were this year.  But it will just be delaying the complete rebuild we need.  I don't dislike the man.  I just think he's stuck in an out-of-phase footballing mindset and I want something better than that for our club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

It will be interesting to see what happens next week.  I suspect Bruce will leave on mutual agreement.  I think that would be best for him and for us. 

Not sure he's going anywhere!

Steve Bruce is confident he can guide Aston Villa back to the Premier League - despite the club's perilous financial position.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11397525/steve-bruce-determined-to-send-aston-villa-back-to-premier-league

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Failed miserably lol

Failing miserably would have been getting relegated 1st season like what we was heading for when he came in but he turned it around. Then you could say failing miserably would have been mid table finish with no push for play offs. We got to a play off final and lost by 1 goal, that's it. 

The promotion expert, given time for 2 shots at promotion, 3 windows, a squad most CH clubs could only dream of?

Nah, I will stick with failed miserably. 

• Like 1

Out of interest does anyone know where we'd have finished if taking into account matches played after Steve Agnew joined?  I may be wrong but I thought that our season turned around roughly when he came.  I'm just about in favour or remaining with the status quo but just wanted to double check that.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Out of interest does anyone know where we'd have finished if taking into account matches played after Steve Agnew joined?  I may be wrong but I thought that our season turned around roughly when he came.  I'm just about in favour or remaining with the status quo but just wanted to double check that.

May have been a factor but I think it’ more to do with jack returning around the same time.  It’s such a shame we didn’t have him all season. 

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The promotion expert, given time for 2 shots at promotion, 3 windows, a squad most CH clubs could only dream of?

Nah, I will stick with failed miserably. 

The promotion expert - I doubt he calls himself this but his record speaks for itself, you can argue it all you want but it's a fact that until this season (Warnock) he had achieved the most promotions from this division of any Manager, fact.

Failed miserably - no, just no. By yours and others standards he may have failed, but miserably? Get a grip man.

• Like 1

Â