Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We need to be more like girls, valuing stability over the excitement of the new. At least that's how the wife justifies it. 

Hope she doesn’t look over your shoulder!

• Haha 1

Bruce makes his teams hard to beat.

Problem is his teams struggle to break teams down when they sit back. 

Next season everyone will be trying to beat us. His approach may be the best chance of staying up. 

Believe me it kills me to write this and it will be ugly as hell. But I think Bruce staying might not be the end of the world. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villarocker said:

But, during Ellis's regime, back in the days of Little and Gregory, Villa spent a lot of money on players and challenged towards the top of the league. We also won a couple of league cups and got to their first FA Cup final for 43 years.

Yes, there was lots of negativity and mistakes made during Ellis's last reign but the mistakes that have been made since he sold the club have threatened to see us get into serious financial trouble and have seen us relegated from the top flight. 

but we didn't spend lots of money.....we never have.

It was one of the bones of contention, we had with him... blimey the moss in the gutterings of the Holte pub was thicker than the turf on Villa Park.

We bought players, but they were of a type and they did us well......in hindsight, we did no better with Lerner and Xia's money.

Money is a funny thing in football my view.......you have to have forte knox like Man City/Chelsea or next to none i.e tight budget.......anything in between is the danger zone, very precarious.

I 100% believe, even with a depleted squad, bruce will keep us in the league next season. But it just isn't something that sits right with me. 2 seasons of failure, constant moaning in the press about how hard he has had it. And then his reward is to do the same job with no expectations and more ready made excuses. **** that. 

Lambert came close to making me take my first break from villa but it didn't happen. Bruce in charge next year may well force it through. Can't stand the idea of him staying on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we didn't spend lots of money.....we never have.

It was one of the bones of contention, we had with him... blimey the moss in the gutterings of the Holte pub was thicker than the turf on Villa Park.

We bought players, but they were of a type and they did us well......in hindsight, we did no better with Lerner and Xia's money.

Money is a funny thing in football my view.......you have to have forte knox like Man City/Chelsea or next to none i.e tight budget.......anything in between is the danger zone, very precarious.

I'd rather the money be spent on the pitch mate than on the local pubs. Sort the playing side out and then look at the surroundings. 

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He had slack cut for finishing 13 with what was still one of the best squads in the league even with it in apparent turmoil. 

If we had got promoted then Bruce would be being congratulated and rightly so. Some would have still wanted a change of manager but admitted he deserved a crack at the top flight. 

I get it’s fine margins but end of the day in my opinion he fell short by 9 whole points. Not by one goal.  Not good enough with what he had at his disposal. 

Tro I don’t see Bruce as the anti christ. I don’t care if he stays. I just totally understand people wanting him gone. I do not think he did enough to warrant such a defence of him! 

Equally, I don't think he is Pepe Guardiola either

but lets get some perspective here.

Jokanovic has just beaten us to the punch by the odd goal.....And I am reading on here that he is a tactical genius or words intimating.....our bloke is a tactical knobhead.....The odd goal over 49 games.

Look I have no problem with folk criticising Bruce.....but come on.....and you wonder why I defend him, with stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'd rather the money be spent on the pitch mate than on the local pubs. Sort the playing side out and then look at the surroundings. 

it was just and example of the decay that had surrounded us that is all.....it was a really motivating sight as you approached the ground...but hey ho.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I mean, we really need a bit of continuity this season while we transition from mega bucks spending to a club that's sustainable - can't see why we would change it up, he failed but literally in the least worst way possible coming 4th and the top 3 going up. 

I think that flatters him a bit. And believe me I see the good he has done too.

It's just that the way he was allowed to assemble his squad meant that we put the club in jeopardy.

Something any manager should be looking to minimise. Regardless of what the owner allows for.

Wolves finished I think 15th the season before and Cardiff were 12th from memory.

Fulham also managed to put together a team ultimately superior to ours without risking so much.

There's a saying in poker that goes, "I would rather lose with the right hand, than win with the wrong"

And it's said, because over time, the right hand is the profitable one.

I can guarantee you Cortese at Southampton would align himself with such a philosophy.

I'm glad we had a season that saw success return to this club and that we employed people with the talent and character to compete.

That said I don't believe Bruce gave much reason as to why he should be the man to lead our football, or why he should be backed again when the time is right.

Apart from Terry, a number of managers could have recruited as well as we did, I would think it possible, probable even, that others might've done better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Equally, I don't think he is Pepe Guardiola either

but lets get some perspective here.

Jokanovic has just beaten us to the punch by the odd goal.....And I am reading on here that he is a tactical genius or words intimating.....our bloke is a tactical knobhead.....The odd goal over 49 games.

Look I have no problem with folk criticising Bruce.....but come on.....and you wonder why I defend him, with stuff like that.

You have defended him on nearly every bit of criticism thrown at him. He could have finished 13th again and i'm sure you would justify it some way. I just don't get what is so special about him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It's just that the way he was allowed to assemble his squad meant that we put the club in jeopardy.

Something any manager should be looking to minimise. Regardless of what the owner allows for.

Wolves finished I think 15th the season before and Cardiff were 12th from memory.

Fulham also managed to put together a team ultimately superior to ours without risking so much.

There's a saying in poker that goes, "I would rather lose with the right hand, than win with the wrong"

I can guarantee you Cortese at Southampton would align himself with such a philosophy.

I'm glad we had a season that saw success return to this club and that we employed people with the talent and character to compete.

That said I don't believe Bruce gave much reason as to why he should be the man to lead our football, or why he should be backed again when the time is right.

Apart from Terry, a number of managers could have recruited as well as we did, I would think it possible, probable even, that others might've done better.

Superb post. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You have defended him on nearly every bit of criticism thrown at him. He could have finished 13th again and i'm sure you would justify it some way. I just don't get what is so special about him. 

It isn't.....you just make out I think he is special.

Look I could write a rake of stuff on here why I think we failed....but it would be just my opinion.

For me I think he has made some fundamental mistakes( but he might not agree)....Ones for my sins, I think Neil Warnock has got right....but all managers make mistakes.....most of them that never got promoted have.

I do not think he is good at tactics anymore than I think he is clueless....I think that is a red herring.

I also think to cover a view by saying, but we had the best squad in the division.....a) is subjective and b) its the team that wins, the squad, just gives the team the opportunities. i.e we might have the better squad, I think Fulham have the better team.

We used 14 players in 80/81....who needs a squad, when you have a team that plays every week ( tongue in cheek of course, that will never be repeated)

My point really is of one of fine Margins and I am not prepared to character assassinate under such conditions.

We were very close to the darlings of the league....by the odd goal.....and yes the first half was a disappointment, but you would have to be very anti Villa, not to notice a battle in the second half, that quite so easily have gone our way.

What ever a fans opinion of Steve Bruce is, I am not going to change it.

I just want what everybody else wants, exciting  winning football....but if a new manager does come in and I think the criticism is unfair, I will reserve my right to defend him in the same way, that i have Steve Bruce, that doesn't mean I'm right any more than I am wrong, but means i have an opinion on it....no more, no less.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

we did 2016/17 and I did defend him then too.

That is not taking account of what type of criticism was/has been thrown.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get your love for Bruce. It’s become irrational! 

In a thread in which poster after poster are almost exploding with rage at the suggestion that Bruce might stay, that is quite funny.

Just now, briny_ear said:

In a thread in which poster after poster are almost exploding with rage at the suggestion that Bruce might stay, that is quite funny.

It seems i might have a difference of opinion with some on here....it seems, not to be the case with the mass fan base.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

That's all very fair. I'm pretty simple, I sense that there is massive risk to Villa at the moment, and I just want the club to stay in contention, that is all it is. I have a sense that what we need is boringness, extreme boringness. And that glory will come. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Annoyed at the idea of a man who failed keeping his job with lower expectations because of his failure seems rational to me. The defence of his failure, while the club you support suffers, makes no sense to me. 

Could never understand when lambert and lerner had the same. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Annoyed at the idea of a man who failed keeping his job with lower expectations because of his failure seems rational to me. The defence of his failure, while the club you support suffers, makes no sense to me. 

Could never understand when lambert and lerner had the same. 

Well TBF you've not failed to explode with rage at any single atom of Villa season 17/18. 

35 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

from what I gather, Bruce greatly reduced the wage bill from the previous year, so that would have been one of those jobs well done.

as for putting the club in jeopardy......I seem to remember the episode at Leeds where most folk blamed Peter Risdale for allowing it to happen....citing O'Leary as just another football manager wanting the best players.

Interesting how blame can be apportioned differently at different clubs in some fans eyes.

I think Steve Bruce bought some decent players.....I think he missed a trick, but thats is easy for me to say in hindsight.

Â