Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

This is an excellent result, beforehand I couldn't envisage any circumstances in which we'd come away with three points, my expectations were so low.  Makes me wonder why Adomah hasn't had much of a sniff, he actually provided end product last season.  Kodjia is just so important for the overall mood of the team, let's hope he plays every game and gets sharper and sharper.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Good result but I won't be anointing Bruce as the saviour anytime soon. Still has long way to go to convince me he can take us where we should be. 

Nobody is asking you to. 

You don't have to be 'Bruce in' or 'Bruce out' you know.

• Like 1

No real complaints tonight. I don't think we played that well first half, particularly when we went a goal up. We sat back and hoofed too much.

Second half we improved though and probably should have had 4 or 5.

Barnsley never looked threatening apart from one chance in the second half.

These are the away games we should be winning without much of an issue, so today is just an example of what we should be doing most times we travel. It needs to become the norm if we've any chance of going up.

• Like 2

It's a good result, I'm happy. 2nd half performance was much better. 

I was pleased after Norwich though and look how we done after that. This will give Bruce even more time so we absolutely MUST get a few wins on the trot now. 

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Good result but I won't be anointing Bruce as the saviour anytime soon. Still has long way to go to convince me he can take us where we should be. 

Exactly I think this squad could have had 7 other good results this season if they had a better manager. I think it's catch 22 that we're good enough to win the odd game and keep him employed even though it's painfully obvious he holds us back.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

He's "shut a few people up today", apparently. What a clearing in the woods.

It'll take more than one flukey win before you can start criticising the fans.

He did with the Norwich win then, oh... and that is right, ultra defensive in the next game which he changed after 30 seconds. 

• Like 1

Excellent result, but i'm not seeing this great performance other seem to be. I thought we looked really disjointed going forwards a lot of the time, and our passing and movement in the final 3rd remains atrocious generally. 

Seems strange given we scored 3, but we were basically gifted the first 2 by some awful defending/keeping, and then Davies had a free header 8 yards out for the 3rd. You could have driven a bus between the gaps in Barnsleys backline at times, and you can see why they have only won 3 and lost 10 in their last 20. 

At least we were generally solid at the back, although their sub missed a free header 6 yards out and should have scored when through on goal later on, so we weren't without a few very worrying moments.

I just can't shake the feeling that a performance like week in and week out isn't going to cut it if we want to get promoted. We probably won't have an easier game all season, play like that against the likes of Leeds and Wolves and it will be a risky strategy. Maybe i'm just so conditioned by the shit served up by most of Bruce's time here that i can't see positives anymore!

Bruce needs to build on the result, and use the confidence gained to work on consistently dominating performances. We have Forest and Bolton at home and Burton away in our next 3, we should be looking to go out and smash all of them.

• Like 3

Three more wins in this month will put us on 19 points after 11 games. Not quite the two points per game average but, for me, close enough to be content going into October.

The same was said after the Norwich result, good but the win will mean less if we don't move on from here with further positive results.

• Like 3

Inbeaten in 5, 2 big wins in there too. Feels like (very) gradually moving in the right direction. It'll be difficult for him to change the opinions of certain areas of the fan base but I'm sure he doesn't care.

Well chuffed.

Â