Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He looked terrible in that press conference.

He looked extremely nervous, especially at the start.  As it went on, he developed an air of world-weariness, and seemed to feel some of the questions were unreasonable, suggesting that people just didn't appreciate the situation.

"Mass hysteria" was mentioned at least four times, might have been five.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Er....yes he is. ....With this squad

 

Sorry mate, I disagree.

The next manager has to be better than what we have I accept!

But he is not the messiah he is deludedly talking himself up to be.

There is better out there. Fact.

Any other manager (even ones out our depth) would have this squad in the top 6 of this league with this squad so please don't kid yourself on this.

I don't want MO'N anywhere near here.. but he is one example who could get this team promoted in a flash.

If a certain manager can get a team promoted with mediocore crap then he will sure as hell will do it with this one too.

I do agree. Our next appointment has to be better than what we have and trust me. There is bettter out there Nigel my friend.

It's just wether the club can get "him".

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's result should make no difference to the decision to keep or dismiss him.  The board already have a big enough sample size, and surely as we can see he has no idea how to get us out of the situation, or utilise the 14 players that he has signed despite no backing due to FFP :rolleyes:.  

If i was a betting man then i'd suggest he's angling to be dismissed, like most modern managers.  Payoff over personal pride.

The mass hysteria comment is nonsense, we are fans of the club of the large majority sink money in to the club either through merchandise or attending games., we have a right to voice our opinion.  Ultimately its up to the Dr whether he makes that decision. i suspect that as people are still turning up regularly, they are not bothered about whether the football is dog shit. If attendances drop and/or the results continue to drive us further away from the promotion spots, then they'll have no choice but to dismiss. 

In my opinion that is too late and is a massive risk if we are close to the FFP limits.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, peterms said:

He looked extremely nervous, especially at the start.  As it went on, he developed an air of world-weariness, and seemed to feel some of the questions were unreasonable, suggesting that people just didn't appreciate the situation.

"Mass hysteria" was mentioned at least four times, might have been five.

To me his behavior underscores the notion that he is a small time manager. The fact of the matter is that we are still a 'big club' in many ways - we have a big stadium, impressive facilities, more resources than he ever would have had before, but also there's big expectation among the fans given our recent history as a long standing premier league club. We are not small time like Birmingham City and Hull. At those teams he simply would not have had anywhere near the expectation levels that he has to cope with at Aston Villa. For those teams, it certainly wasn't a case of promotion or die, which is the case here, for very understandable reasons, all he was expected to do at those two previous clubs was to mount a credible challenge. 

Bottom line is that he's not equipped to do this job, he cannot handle the stress and criticism that comes part and parcel of being at a club with very high expectations. This has filtered down to his safety first, totally unambitious approach to football matches. We frankly need someone made of stronger stuff.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry mate, I disagree.

The next manager has to be better than what we have I accept!

But he is not the messiah he is deludedly talking himself up to be.

There is better out their. Fact.

Any other manager (even ones out our depth) would have this squad in the top 6 of this league with this squad so please don't kid yourself on this.

I don't want MO'N anywhere near here.. but he is one example who could get this team promoted in a flash.

If a certain manager can get a team promoted with mediocore crap then he will sure as hell do it with the one too.

I do agree. Our next appointment has to be better than what we have and trust me. There is bettter out there Nigel my friend.

It's just wether the club can get "him".

We will use your example then, o neill....how come he didn't do well at Sunderland then if it's a guarantee he would be a success?

Its easy to say there are loads who could do a better job, and you would be right. However we have to choose one of these managers, then it's down to him alone. There is no such thing as a guarantee, only another gamble. 

Worse, this gamble will take time to show us. Time we don't have.

All I want is villa to win games, starting today if possible. I posted in the pre match thread I wouldn't care if it was a horse in charge of us as long as this happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even media pundits are starting to say that Villa have by far the best squad in the league, and yet we have a manager who is so afraid of losing that he wont set up his team to attack. We're going to struggle to finish mid table, and this squad is far too good for that.

One man is responsible for the failure of these players to reach anywhere near their full potential, and he has proved over a period of eleven months that he cannot and will not change his fearfully negative style of play in order to get the wins that we urgently need.

He's a relic of the era which believed in, "we don't need tactics, if you just put your boots on and battle then the fans will love you for it". You cannot play football like that now and expect to get positive results. That attitude attracts the description "dinosaur".

The definition of the word "dinosaur" when used as a metaphor in the Collin's concise English dictionary, is "a person or thing that is considered to be out of date". It's not abuse because it's accurately descriptive. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We will use your example then, o neill....how come he didn't do well at Sunderland then if it's a guarantee he would be a success?

Its easy to say there are loads who could do a better job, and you would be right. However we have to choose one of these managers, then it's down to him alone. There is no such thing as a guarantee, only another gamble. 

Worse, this gamble will take time to show us. Time we don't have.

All I want is villa to win games, starting today if possible. I posted in the pre match thread I wouldn't care if it was a horse in charge of us as long as this happens.

O'Neill going to Sunderland was him on the rebound after he realised he **** up walking out on the Villa!

It was always going to be sour grapes etc with how he left on both sides, but without going into that too much it's a horses for courses scenario.

I agree it is easy to say there are better managers because there are mate. Surely you realise how much football has now evolved. It's like saying Terry would never sign for us!  - How many of us seen that one coming in May?  None of us.

I agree every manager is a gamble..

So on that basis if you're going to gamble make sure it is on something you have gave it your best shot at doing and make the appointment the right one at all costs.

My terms of a gamble would be Rafa Where his CV says it all.

Or Gamble on someone like De Boer?

This is why I have been saying for a month or more it has to be someone like Rafa Benithez, or of similar Calibre.

If we go for another Remi Garde style esq then we may as well have just went to the bookies and pissed it on a 100/1 in the 2.30 at Fukupsville downs.

I feel you mate where your at..

We're all getting **** off with things etc. But trust me, we will get better than Bruce.

I just get a feeling it that Tony is going to Nail this next one and get it bang on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

O'Neill going to Sunderland was him on the rebound after he realised he **** up walking out on the Villa!

It was always going to be sour grapes etc with how he left on both sides, but without going into that too much it's a horses for courses scenario.

I agree it is easy to say there are better managers because there are mate. Surely you realise how much football has now evolved. It's like saying Terry would never sign for us!  - How many of us seen that one coming in May?  None of us.

I agree every manager is a gamble..

So on that basis if you're going to gamble make sure it is on something you have gave it your best shot at doing and make the appointment the right one at all costs.

My terms of a gamble would be Rafa Where his CV says it all.

Or Gamble on someone like De Boer?

This is why I have been saying for a month or more it has to be someone like Rafa Benithez, or of similar Calibre.

If we go for another Remi Garde style esq then we may as well have just went to the bookies and pissed it on a 100/1 in the 2.30 at Fukupsville downs.

I feel you mate where your at..

We're all getting **** off with things etc. But trust me, we will get better than Bruce.

I just get a feeling it that Tony is going to Nail this next one and get it bang on!

If you offered me Rafa I'd do a little wee in excitement.......unfortunately his calibre won't be who we get!

We have been here countless times before,. We all know how this hunt ends!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He looked terrible in that press conference. The pressure is clearly getting to him. Also looks likes someone who drinks quite a significant amount of booze regularly.

Yeah, I thought that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Steve Bruce to me tries to look calm in front of the camera, but in truth is swamped in anxiety away from it....He does look like he has turned to the booze for comfort.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really, really want us to win tonight.

Obviously for the 3 points, but also to see the epic smug Bruce post game interview where he tells everyone how wrong they've been and how his fantastic work behind the scenes is finally coming to fruition .

 

 

Then i want him to get the sack on Sunday. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
37 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Even media pundits are starting to say that Villa have by far the best squad in the league, and yet we have a manager who is so afraid of losing that he wont set up his team to attack. We're going to struggle to finish mid table, and this squad is far too good for that.

One man is responsible for the failure of these players to reach anywhere near their full potential, and he has proved over a period of eleven months that he cannot and will not change his fearfully negative style of play in order to get the wins that we urgently need.

He's a relic of the era which believed in, "we don't need tactics, if you just put your boots on and battle then the fans will love you for it". You cannot play football like that now and expect to get positive results. That attitude attracts the description "dinosaur".

The definition of the word "dinosaur" when used as a metaphor in the Collin's concise English dictionary, is "a person or thing that is considered to be out of date". It's not abuse because it's accurately descriptive. 

I'm unsure that is the problem, being out of date.

when he first came, there was a need to shut up shop.....that need has not got the same significance now.

we have changed umpteen players, but still adopt the cautious approach, inhibiting the attack.

Its more you do with a fear of losing, than being out of date.

He needs to be more intrepid in his approach.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce to me tries to look calm in front of the camera, but in truth is swamped in anxiety away from it....He does look like he has turned to the booze for comfort.

Haven't we all!!

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sne said:

I really, really want us to win tonight.

Obviously for the 3 points, but also to see the epic smug Bruce post game interview where he tells everyone how wrong they've been and how his fantastic work behind the scenes is finally coming to fruition .

 

 

Then i want him to get the sack on Sunday. 

Here here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If you offered me Rafa I'd do a little wee in excitement.......unfortunately his calibre won't be who we get!

We have been here countless times before,. We all know how this hunt ends!

I would do more than a piss in excitement if we got Rafa!.. as would the rest of us I think.

It's not like he is not gettable..

It's a question of will we pay 6m trigger and will he say yes?.

Granted he would want a promotion bonus too but if we spend nothing in January then we can afford this too.

I don't really think a manager like Rafa would want a lot of funds in Jan considering the squad he would already inherit.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • blandy locked this topic
  • blandy unlocked this topic
  • blandy locked and unlocked this topic
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â