Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no interest in changing the manager in the hope that the change alone will get us what we want.

we need to be as sure as you can be we are getting a better manager, in terms of nous on the pitch.

we have changed players expecting things to get better and its questionable.

There must be some up and coming manager out there that is having tongues wagging and attracting attention as the next big thing.

we need to be much more adventurous in our approach....a bit more due diligence, perhaps.

Change yes, but not for the sake of it.

A sensible post and one I agree with. No good getting rid for the sake of just having anyone. 

1 hour ago, peterms said:

suggesting that people just didn't appreciate the situation.

The situation is quite simple, he's been given a fortune in championship terms to buy promotion and he's failed miserably at every level. The longer he's been here the worse it's become. Anything he said in that presser is just a sorry excuse. 

• Like 2

Today's a huge game for Bruce. He seems to think that we're improving and since our away form has been pretty bad, this is a good chance for him to show that he's right. On the other hand, it also could confirm what a lot of people are thinking and that we aren't making any progress under him, which could mean the end of him. 

Basically, winning or losing would show us something - a draw doesn't really do any good for anyone. 

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We aren't improving, he is kidding himself.

Not just a villa point but It irks me alot when managers say things like this, with zero evidence to support it, and then journalists don't call them out on it. They just sit there and listen to the lies because they are petrified of losing access to players/press conferences/interviews. 

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

we need to be as sure as you can be we are getting a better manager, in terms of nous on the pitch.

I agree entirely. We haven't had that for years, from managers or players. I think a clued up manager lets that filter down. We never seem to be quick witted or manage to out think the opposition. 

Do you remember when we scored that goal from a quickly taken throw in, facilitated by Steve Sidwell, who was warming up at the time, giving the ball quickly to the throw taker? I don't even remember who scored, could have been Milner, but I do remember the quick thinking by Sidwell and the fact that the others were on the ball too and reacted quickly enough to create the goal. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Today's a huge game for Bruce. He seems to think that we're improving and since our away form has been pretty bad, this is a good chance for him to show that he's right. On the other hand, it also could confirm what a lot of people are thinking and that we aren't making any progress under him, which could mean the end of him. 

Basically, winning or losing would show us something - a draw doesn't really do any good for anyone. 

I think it's win or bust now - draws won't cut it anymore in this position. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree entirely. We haven't had that for years, from managers or players. I think a clued up manager lets that filter down. We never seem to be quick witted or manage to out think the opposition. 

Do you remember when we scored that goal from a quickly taken throw in, facilitated by Steve Sidwell, who was warming up at the time, giving the ball quickly to the throw taker? I don't even remember who scored, could have been Milner, but I do remember the quick thinking by Sidwell and the fact that the others were on the ball too and reacted quickly enough to create the goal. 

It was Milner (although I'm not sure how that's relevant, but it's a nice memory :) )

I think we have to get a bit of balance here for the sake of our own credibility of argument.

"we are improving" can be a bit subjective and depends who is saying it and what expectation is attached.

• personally, i see stuff on the pitch that has been there for seasons and its annoying....but on paper the players are arguably better.
  • We was leaking goals for fun early last season and now we are not.
  • Sam Johnstone is a much improved goal keeper than what he was when he come.
  • we are more resilient and likely to secure a clean sheet.
  • we was appraised by the pundits inc betting as second favourites for promotion, that never happened ladt season.
  • Jonathan Kodjia scores more goals with us than previous clubs.

What i think we are saying is the improvement is far too modest under the circumstances.....and things that need improving are still awaiting rectification.

We have had a bad start and that has dampened any notion of progress, double our points and it would be a reasonable shout.

progress depends a lot on what aspect of the club we are looking at when making our claim.....There are many many factors.

I am all for having a moan and crikey, we are qualified to do it, but lets not bash ourselves to bits in the process.....there are small pockets of progress and bloody great big ones that are not progress.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think it's win or bust now - draws won't cut it anymore in this position. 

With our targets for this season.....a draw is like a loss.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have to get a bit of balance here for the sake of our own credibility of argument.

"we are improving" can be a bit subjective and depends who is saying it and what expectation is attached.

• personally, i see stuff on the pitch that has been there for seasons and its annoying....but on paper the players are arguably better.
  • we was appraised by the pundits inc betting as second favourites for promotion, that never happened ladt season.

What i think we are saying is the improvement is far too modest under the circumstances.....and things that need improving are still awaiting rectification.

We have had a bad start and that has dampened any notion of progress, double our points and it would be a reasonable shout.

progress depends a lot on what aspect of the club we are looking at when making our claim.....There are many many factors.

I am all for having a moan and crikey, we are qualified to do it, but lets not bash ourselves to bits in the process.....there are small pockets of progress and bloody great big ones that are not progress.

It's a results business - one win in 7 or 2 in 12 with this squad is a disgraceful total - Bruce has to be judged on results . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to say.  That list of improvements is incredibly depressing.  Pathetic product from those in charge.  

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

It's a results business - one win in 7 or 2 in 12 with this squad is a disgraceful total - Bruce has to be judged on results . 

I have to agree.

but the point was about him claiming progress.

you are right, its overall the only thing that matters, but there are sub divisions where some progress could be claimed.

we have to be clear, in our criticism otherwise it just ends up ****manager and that just gets peoples backs up and invites counter criticism.

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I have to say.  That list of improvements is incredibly depressing.  Pathetic product from those in charge.  

I was merely trying to illustrate the accuracy of claim.

He can claim some improvement.....but in the quest for the holy grail, promotion, so far.....NO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to agree.

but the point was about him claiming progress.

you are right, its overall the only thing that matters, but there are sub divisions where some progress could be claimed.

we have to be clear, in our criticism otherwise it just ends up ****manager and that just gets peoples backs up and invites counter criticism.

This is true but considering the tools at his disposal any progress claimed is very minimal at best .  We were both in the give him time camp in the summer but I think even mrs Bruce would struggle for positives now ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We was leaking goals for fun early last season and now we are not

Please, for the nine hundred and ninety fifth time we were not I repeat NOT leaking any more goals under RDM than Bruce. The stats are virtually identical if you care to look them up. And anyway if you play a style that's so mind blowingly negative then the defence should improve, which it hasn't!  Bloody hell the number of times I've repeated this it will probably go on my gravestone!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Please, for the nine hundred and ninety fifth time we were not I repeat NOT leaking any more goals under RDM than Bruce. The stats are virtually identical if you care to look them up. And anyway if you play a style that's so mind blowingly negative then the defence should improve, which it hasn't!  Bloody hell the number of times I've repeated this it will probably go on my gravestone!

I agree results are similar to last season under RDM , however the football is considerably worse in my opinion .

• Like 2

Â