Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

At the end of the day I have mentioned on here several times that I have deleted every Villa game I have recorded for the last couple of years without watching it back.

I will probably still delete this without re-watching. 

The scoreline makes it sound like a great victory but it really wasn't. 

I am delighted with the win but we rode our luck at times 

Essentially until we went 2 - 0 up we were really no better and often second best to a very poor Barnsley team and there were a number of times where the game actually could have turned the other way. 

We won well but the performance did nothing to convince me we are about to start challenging for promotion. 

0-3 away from home - come on. 

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

I see he made a comment about it not having been possible to play 2 up front before today.  Said something similar in the pre-match presser, about players not being available.

Is that true?

Could have played Hogan and Davies at any time!

It may have been said already but delighted as i am with a win, a win away, a win on Sky (!).... Barnsley weren't all that so I'm not getting too carried away. 

It's just this weird feeling of satisfaction after a villa game i haven't experienced in a while....

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

I see he made a comment about it not having been possible to play 2 up front before today.  Said something similar in the pre-match presser, about players not being available.

Is that true?

I can only assume he feels he can play 2 up front when one of them is Kodjia 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well no-one does - but it was away from home, on sky and it was a big win. It doesn't rub out the season so far, but another win next game and we are in contention oddly enough. seems unreal. 

We'd need to win the next 6 to get to 2 points a game and even then, the start has been so poor that we can't afford any major slip ups. But I do believe in momentum and of course every win builds on the last. The problem though is during his time here he's had good runs of results and poor runs of results, the only constant being the poor performances. The results are so random it's hard to know what's going to happen next. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I think you do. You either think he's good enough to get this team promoted or you don't. I don't. I'm not sure what the middle ground is given he's been in the job long enough now to form an opinion either way. 

Not necessarily, you can also think he has a squad which outweighs his abilty as a manager, and players such as Kodjia who will pick up undeserved 3 points etc.

It's the reason why certain managers still get sacked at the like of Barca and Real even when they win the league.

As i've said, we came down here pretty much as the Barca/Real of this division.

Doesn't mean you think he is good enough, but think he should be able to do that as bare minimum.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

0-3 away from home - come on. 

If you think we won in a super impressive way and Barnsley were never near turning it around good for you.

The performance did not convince me. 

A team looking for promotion should go to Barnsley and win easily. I can see them getting smashed by some teams this year. 

I was on the edge of my seat a number of times worried we were going to concede. 

I mean at one point they put one inexplicably wide, and then a couple of minutes later we tried to score an own goal and only a lucky ricochet stopped it.  I mentioned in the match thread that the Commentators said 3 times in about 5 minutes that Villa had got away with that. 

Cracks have been duly papered over but I am not convinced we have moved forwards as a team at all. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, macandally said:

In your opinion of course!

Some people are easier pleased but I saw nothing today to suggest we are good enough to get promoted.  We were ragged and disjointed and were fortunate with two punts over the top and two Barnsley mistakes.

Today we were lucky, the law of averages mean we won't have that for the next 40 games, at some point we have to actually play like a team.

I only watched from 50 minutes onwards, so I think I've missed the worst half (ironically when we scored more goals), but this post is misleading to me because I saw us completely control the game and I felt like there was always another gear to go and score if needed. The first half may have been completely different but perhaps that bit of luck in the first half allowed us to open up in the second? 

Like I said, I missed the first half but from catching up in here, it seems we were poor. 

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Like I said, I missed the first half but from catching up in here, it seems we were poor. 

The problem with "here" is that many people have already very vocally made their mind up so have to justify that to an extent.

It wasn't 1970 Brazil today but Villa were good value for it. 2 up at half time and many were still having a major dig but truth be known there was almost no threat on the Villa goal, zero shots on target.

A third goal at a good time and the game was pretty well under control.

The thing is, if a team was able to offer silky free flowing, free scoring well organised defensive displays they wouldn't be in the Championship in the first place. This is a Villa squad made up of Championship players.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

The problem with "here" is that many people have already very vocally made their mind up so have to justify that to an extent.

It wasn't 1970 Brazil today but Villa were good value for it. 2 up at half time and many were still having a major dig but truth be known there was almost no threat on the Villa goal, zero shots on target.

A third goal at a good time and the game was pretty well under control.

The thing is, if a team was able to offer silky free flowing, free scoring well organised defensive displays they wouldn't be in the Championship in the first place. This is a Villa squad made up of Championship players.

Yes and I've just seen the Barnsley manager say the same thing. A comfortable 3-0 away victory on the sky cameras. I'm a happy happy tonight.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

His post match comments were stupid. He should have just said I'm delighted with the win and fir the fans who haven't had much to shout about recently and my message is stick with me and team and I'm confident I will deliver promotion

He has a long history of not taking criticism and blaming everyone and everything.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/members/t_bone.23883/

I don't like the tone of his comments before / after the game, that attitude's doing him no favours.  From a football point of view, today was good and he couldn't have done much more.  It (rightly) won't be enough to convince some people, but it was never going to be.

I'm nowhere near convinced we will go up after today, and I certainly need to see more to consider this any kind of turning point.  I also still think we are capable of going on a winning run...but also capable of going on a dire run.  I expect us to do both if Bruce remains in charge.  We will undoubtedly get some good results, I just don't (yet) see anything to suggest we have the plan and thinking to deliver a season's worth of success.

Still, a good win is a good win, so let's enjoy it!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you think we won in a super impressive way and Barnsley were never near turning it around good for you.

The performance did not convince me. 

A team looking for promotion should go to Barnsley and win easily. I can see them getting smashed by some teams this year. 

I was on the edge of my seat a number of times worried we were going to concede. 

I mean at one point they put one inexplicably wide, and then a couple of minutes later we tried to score an own goal and only a lucky ricochet stopped it.  I mentioned in the match thread that the Commentators said 3 times in about 5 minutes that Villa had got away with that. 

Cracks have been duly papered over but I am not convinced we have moved forwards as a team at all. 

Do some research and look at Barnsleys home results last season. The 3 promoted teams beat them but none of them by 3 goals. They didn't even have a shot on target first half and we were 2 up by the end of that. 

The way we played that game was exactly how Newcastle got through last season. We absolutely shut that game down. 

Teams like us that have been through some awful years don't play like Brazil every week. 

I have to say 5 unbeaten in the league. 0 goals conceded in the last 3 and a noticeable improvement in effort and application especially against Boro where we were unlucky. 

1 minute ago, dappadan said:

Do some research and look at Barnsleys home results last season. The 3 promoted teams beat them but none of them by 3 goals. They didn't even have a shot on target first half and we were 2 up by the end of that. 

The way we played that game was exactly how Newcastle got through last season. We absolutely shut that game down. 

Teams like us that have been through some awful years don't play like Brazil every week. 

I have to say 5 unbeaten in the league. 0 goals conceded in the last 3 and a noticeable improvement in effort and application especially against Boro where we were unlucky. 

Sorry mate, we don't even play like Brazil u14s every week, but apparently that's me backing up my vociferous comments!

Good players, poor team, terrible manager.

i have already pledged money to VT if we go up and I do not doubt it will stay in my pocket unfortunately.

1 minute ago, macandally said:

Sorry mate, we don't even play like Brazil u14s every week, but apparently that's me backing up my vociferous comments!

Good players, poor team, terrible manager.

i have already pledged money to VT if we go up and I do not doubt it will stay in my pocket unfortunately.

Everyone has their own different views that are generally based on expectations. My experience watching Villa is generally based on hope rather than expectation after the last few years. 

I guess I just like to see the positive in things rather than the negative. 

I thought I saw players today that were developing partnerships with each other and growing in confidence. 

I saw Hourihane all over the pitch today just as he was on Tuesday. Whelan did his job effectively. Davis and Kodjia looked like a promising partnership despite being first game. Terry and Chester again another partnership building. JOHNSTONE has looked more and more solid as the games tick by. A right back who can cross the ball!! That is a novelty! 

• Like 3

Â