Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

My worry with cutting Bruce loose is finding a manager who plays a certain style while handling the pressure. 

I always firmly believed a major problem with some of our previous managers was one of expectation. Villa still hold a certain status and expectation. One McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood and Garde struggled with. Other than a small stint at Spurs, all those managers arguably came from teams with lower expectation and status. 

I thought Bruce would be different. He's managed at all levels and while he will openly admit we are his biggest team, he should have enough experience in management to cope with pressure and expectation. 

Defensive tactics, style and 'losing sleep thinking about losing' show he isn't coping well at all with expectation. I honestly believe if he took our exact squad with him and went to manage someone like Brentford, he would be storming it. He's scared to lose. He's scared to mess up this big chance and whether he even realises it or not, it's impacting him. 

So the next guy needs a particular skill the others lacked. The ability to play good football, and not be scared of our name, badge or expectation. I don't know who that is, and it's not for this thread, but it's a big ask. 

Thankfully our need to part ways with Bruce (in my opinion) outweighs the possible risks and worries. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would do more than a piss in excitement if we got Rafa!.. as would the rest of us I think.

It's not like he is not gettable..

It's a question of will we pay 6m trigger and will he say yes?.

Granted he would want a promotion bonus too but if we spend nothing in January then we can afford this too.

I don't really think a manager like Rafa would want a lot of funds in Jan considering the squad he would already inherit.

I don't believe for one moment that Rafa could be enticed back into the Championship again. At this moment in time I do not believe Villa would want to spend the compensation fee to Newcastle and then the wages he would ask for plus the promotional bonus should it happen.

However this Villa squad imo is better than the one at Newcastle last season and again imo Rafa would gain automatic promotion with it but unfortunately I just don't see Rafa at Villa being a realistic option at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

I don't believe for one moment that Rafa could be enticed back into the Championship again. At this moment in time I do not believe Villa would want to spend the compensation fee to Newcastle and then the wages he would ask for plus the promotional bonus should it happen.

However this Villa squad imo is better than the one at Newcastle last season and again imo Rafa would gain automatic promotion with it but unfortunately I just don't see Rafa at Villa being a realistic option at the moment. 

Mate he mentions Rafa at every opportunity. lol. your post is falling on deaf ears/fingers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Pretty please.... ?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Clemence is just a yes man in my opinion. A decent bloke but I'm not sure that he has an individual input.

I think Calderwood is perhaps more culpable, in that he is ultra defensive in his outlook.

the seconds and thirds appear to not much help.

43 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

My worry with cutting Bruce loose is finding a manager who plays a certain style while handling the pressure. 

I always firmly believed a major problem with some of our previous managers was one of expectation. Villa still hold a certain status and expectation. One McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood and Garde struggled with. Other than a small stint at Spurs, all those managers arguably came from teams with lower expectation and status. 

I thought Bruce would be different. He's managed at all levels and while he will openly admit we are his biggest team, he should have enough experience in management to cope with pressure and expectation. 

Defensive tactics, style and 'losing sleep thinking about losing' show he isn't coping well at all with expectation. I honestly believe if he took our exact squad with him and went to manage someone like Brentford, he would be storming it. He's scared to lose. He's scared to mess up this big chance and whether he even realises it or not, it's impacting him. 

So the next guy needs a particular skill the others lacked. The ability to play good football, and not be scared of our name, badge or expectation. I don't know who that is, and it's not for this thread, but it's a big ask. 

Thankfully our need to part ways with Bruce (in my opinion) outweighs the possible risks and worries. 

good post.....i think you make some poignant points.

I think he is scared stiff of losing.

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate he mentions Rafa at every opportunity. lol. your post is falling on deaf ears/fingers.

Not surprised.... 7 clubs with over 50% win ratio takes some doing.

Newcastle got lucky

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Which is weird, because who is he trying to convince?

We all know Rafa would be an incredible appointment.

• Like 1

What irks me the most from his latest comments is that he honestly believes and openly states that apart from 45 minutes against Cardiff and the game against Brentford that we have been absolutely fine. He also thinks come the end of the season we'll be there, so in his mind he doesn't think we need to improve in any way other than results. So he's basically admitting this is how we are going to carry on playing.. That really pissed me off.

In 2017 he's played 29 games and got 34 points, but he wants to carry on the same way.. delusional  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

He's put out a balanced side with most of our best players. Stick with this and he'll probably get results and keep his job, it's not rocket science. 

Barnsley are absolute dogshit and are coming back into it after a fortuitous goal.

Â