Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I was merely trying to illustrate the accuracy of claim.

He can claim some improvement.....but in the quest for the holy grail, promotion, so far.....NO

Oh, I know. I wasn't accusing you of anything.  I think it's a fair and accurate list of the improvements.   What's pathetic is that after 9 months, 2 windows, millions to spend, that's the list.  We (Xia) have every right to expect much, much more to show for it.  

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have no interest in changing the manager in the hope that the change alone will get us what we want.

we need to be as sure as you can be we are getting a better manager, in terms of nous on the pitch.

we have changed players expecting things to get better and its questionable.

There must be some up and coming manager out there that is having tongues wagging and attracting attention as the next big thing.

we need to be much more adventurous in our approach....a bit more due diligence, perhaps.

Change yes, but not for the sake of it.

Absolutely TRO.

I think a lot of the mixed emotions are being muddled with sacking for the sake of sacking Bruce just so it is not him in charge and pot luck our next plunge in the dark pays off.

If we cannot get an unproven up and comingster of a manager then atleast go for one proven that has a very good chance of getting us promotion to start with and the best out of these players.

For me available and one with a buy out clause says to me..

Allerdyce as a stop gap for promotion purposes.

Or Rafa Benithez who has been and done it and has a 6m buy out clause just waiting.

It would be interesting to see the shortlist of who we are now working on getting.

It does scare the **** out of me what will happen if we get this next one wrong.

• Like 1

I want a manager who takes a video of the match home with him and sits down with his coaches over copious coffee and a plate of sandwiches, to analyse our play for hours in his state of the art media room. I then want that manager and his coaches to go out on the training pitch and work damned hard on the things that we got wrong, and fine tune the things we got right.

I don't want a manager who goes home with a kebab and a few cans and decides after emptying the cans that we were unlucky, and we've just got to be patient and wait for it to click at some point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Please, for the nine hundred and ninety fifth time we were not I repeat NOT leaking any more goals under RDM than Bruce. The stats are virtually identical if you care to look them up. And anyway if you play a style that's so mind blowingly negative then the defence should improve, which it hasn't!  Bloody hell the number of times I've repeated this it will probably go on my gravestone!

Dave, perhaps i worded it wrong.....but we couldn't hold a lead.

we was conceding in the last 15 minutes of just about every game.

He came in and stopped that....it was welcome in anyones eyes.

just trying to give a bit of credit where i think it is due....if i don't i could and should be accused of being a one eyed intransigent critic.

just trying to be fair mate.

ps i agree how it was achieved was questionable.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I want a manager who takes a video of the match home with him and sits down with his coaches over copious coffee and a plate of sandwiches, to analyse our play for hours in his state of the art media room. I then want that manager and his coaches to go out on the training pitch and work damned hard on the things that we got wrong, and fine tune the things we got right.

I don't want a manager who goes home with a kebab and a few cans and decides after emptying the cans that we were unlucky, and we've just got to be patient and wait for it to click at some point.

You see this is where i have issue.

You could be right.....but you could be wrong too.....and he could be doing all those things you mention but its not working fir some reason....crikey, they have the training ground for it and from what i understand of Steve Round he is in to all that.

None of us can form a fair judgement on speculation.

The results yes they are fact.

19 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Oh, I know. I wasn't accusing you of anything.  I think it's a fair and accurate list of the improvements.   What's pathetic is that after 9 months, 2 windows, millions to spend, that's the list.  We (Xia) have every right to expect much, much more to show for it.  

Well its not exhaustive, just a quick tot up.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave, perhaps i worded it wrong.....but we couldn't hold a lead.

we was conceding in the last 15 minutes of just about every game.

He came in and stopped that....it was welcome in anyones eyes.

just trying to give a bit of credit where i think it is due....if i don't i could and should be accused of being a one eyed intransigent critic.

just trying to be fair mate.

I agree under RDM we did concede late on, which is always more galling and so stands out more, but Bruce hasn't improved the defence. You could even argue that the run of late goals would eventually turn and we may have had a better season under RDM. It's all just surmising of course and I'm not trying to make a defence for RDM as he strangely forgot to buy a midfield amongst other things  

Your sense of fairness and balance is commendable TRO, but the simple reality is, that as Aston Villa manager he is failing badly. 

P.S.  I don't think you could ever be labled a one eyed, intransigent critic. A one eyed, intransigent supporter perhaps at times...........:D

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You could be right.....but you could be wrong too.....and he could be doing all those things you mention but its not working fir some reason....crikey, they have the training ground for it and from what i understand of Steve Round he is in to all that.

If you're right TRO how come we play the same turgid football match after match after match? How come we're playing the same unchanged ultra defensive football when it clearly isn't working?

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'd be surprised if Round played a part in things like that - Bruce and his own staff will be responsible surely - I doubt Round has much input into the first  team affairs on a match basis . 

25 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The preseason went with Grealish's injury.

So did the transfer window, because he had no money to spend because of ffp

But FFP restriction has mainly come about from  too many miss firing signings from a collection of managers and committees

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

But FFP restriction has mainly come about to too many miss firing signings from a collection of managers and committees

With or without ffp Bruce has spent more money than most of the clubs in this division and cannot complain when you look at the quality of those players in the squad - I'd say most managers in this league would love to be in his situation .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I'd be surprised if Round played a part in things like that - Bruce and his own staff will be responsible surely - I doubt Round has much input into the first  team affairs on a match basis . 

I meant setting up the programmes, analysis a video IT

blimey some managers have admitted they can't operate a computer.

i was referring to the IT structure.

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

With or without ffp Bruce has spent more money than most of the clubs in this division and cannot complain when you look at the quality of those players in the squad - I'd say most managers in this league would love to be in his situation .

The only thing I would change in that is that is that "most managers in this league would love to have our roster and resources."  His "situation" is precarious because he is failing to get his roster and resources working in a way to produce results.

Edited by srsmithusa
clarity
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder what random choice selection we will be treated to today and what today's excuse will be to cover his ineptitude. 

Here today gone tomorrow hopefully. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he trolls us one last time.

That being said, I have a feeling Jedi and Kodjia might step up and save him.

11 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If you're right TRO how come we play the same turgid football match after match after match? How come we're playing the same unchanged ultra defensive football when it clearly isn't working?

I truthfully don't know....so I can't jump to conclusions

I too , can only speculate.

judging by the shenanigans of the middlesborough game where we went from 4-5-1 to a second half that was in stark contrast as 4-4-2

I would say the manager was the architect of all that.....imo should have done that AFTER the sending off.....but equally why would a team with promotion ambitions set up 4-5-1 at home.....sends out the wrong message.....middlesborough are not Chelsea or Man City.

I think he is puddled at the moment, don't know what to do for the best.

but thats me just speculating:)

ps not trying to deflect any responsibility here, but what help is Clemence in all this? Hardly a great sounding board for him.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I truthfully don't know....so I can't jump to conclusions

I too , can only speculate.

judging by the shenanigans of the middlesborough game where we went from 4-5-1 to a second half that was in stark contrast as 4-4-2

I would say the manager was the architect of all that.....imo should have done that AFTER the sending off.....but equally why would a team with promotion ambitions set up 4-5-1 at home.....sends out the wrong message.....middlesborough are not Chelsea or Man City.

I think he is puddled at the moment, don't know what to do for the best.

but thats me just speculating:)

ps not trying to deflect any responsibility here, but what help is Clemence in all this? Hardly a great sounding board for him.

Clemence is just a yes man in my opinion. A decent bloke but I'm not sure that he has an individual input.

I think Calderwood is perhaps more culpable, in that he is ultra defensive in his outlook.

Â