Next Villa Manager

Richard

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Exactly. So I dont get the argument that by bringing him in we are settling for a short term fix.

But isn't it all about probabilities?

A guy who has got multiple teams promoted from the Championship, including a team last year, is surely more probable than a guy who has never done it? 

Obviously there's a lot of factors to think about, but it's not exactly rocket science to see why Bruce is a good candidate to some people. 

I apologise for the great offense and distress I have caused by making a small off-the-cuff joke about Ashley Westwood. It was wrong, ill-advised, and I will think long and hard about making any little jokes about Ashley Westwood in the future. To the mods, I apologise for derailing this thread and plead forgiveness.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lets see.

Unrelated threads that unfunny Westwood comment/over the top comment has been made in:

Sanchez
Jedinak
Where do you think we'll finish?
Ayew
Elphick

I get it okay. He's been shit this year and I get the dislike for him as a player, but please, it's so tedious to read when it's all over the place. 

This has nothing to do with even defending him as a player either, before the inevitable "lol ur just a fanboy". It's just boring at this point.

I like this one in the Adomah thread. The obsession is real :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I apologise for the great offense and distress I have caused by making a small off-the-cuff joke about Ashley Westwood. It was wrong, ill-advised, and I will think long and hard about making any little jokes about Ashley Westwood in the future. To the mods, I apologise for derailing this thread and plead forgiveness.

Something makes me think you aren't being sincere. You little scamp.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

At present Blues fans are feeling very smug....when we get the best manager they have had in 30 years.....Their comfort will be challenged.

As SHA have been crap throughout their whole existence and won nothing but a few league cups and that Mickey Mouse cup for third division teams, please forgive me for not getting too excited about the prospect of getting the best manager they have had in 30 years.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks Brucey to villa isn't a done deal. He hasn't even met the chairman yet ? - Lets forget XIA ignored other recommendations and went with RDM in the summer, and can be unpredictable...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Am I the only one who thinks Brucey to villa isn't a done deal. He hasn't even met the chairman yet ? - Lets forget XIA ignored other recommendations and went with RDM in the summer, and can be unpredictable...

I don't think he's a done deal either.  But as for Xia, remember that the RDM appointment was made before he hired Steve Round as Technical Director specifically for appointments like this one.  So while Xia as the owner will ultimately have the final say, he has since put someone in place to make these decisions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep, I think, broadly speaking, there are 2 trains of thought regarding what Villa should do next.

Some, like yourself, have deemed promotion at the earliest opportunity to be the single most important thing, above all else, and with that in mind, Steve Bruce becomes the appealing choice because he has made a bit of a habit of going up.

Others think the club should be looking more long term and are willing to give it a season of re-grouping if it means getting the right man in now to build something for the future.

Both approaches have merit and I can see both sides of the discussion.  I'm not even fully sure which of those approaches I buy into most.  I buy into both to be honest.  I want my cake and I want to eat it too.  But if push came to shove, I think this club needs to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.  The new gulf in funding between the Premier League and the Championship means that every season a club spends away from the party is harming their long term outlook of ever truly being there - even if they go up after a few years away from the money.

What we do when we get there is another discussion.  Maybe Bruce would be short term.  Maybe we would dump him with a nice hefty payoff, but so what?  We'd be a Premier League club and if Tony is good to his word we'd be an ambitious Premier League club, and one not just capable of being top half, but one of the few clubs big enough to sustain it.

Great post. Lifted my spirits a lot more.

• Like 1

I expect us to give Bruce a two year contract, with the expectation he gets us promotion this year. Then he has one more year to establish us in the premier league, before we reevaluate the situation.

If we don't gain promotion this year then we would do well to stick with him, depending on how close we came. We're already a quarter of a season behind at the moment so it would be pretty harsh to give him the boot should we narrowly miss out.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

At present Blues fans are feeling very smug....when we get the best manager they have had in 30 years.....Their comfort will be challenged.

We already had him, they had their 9th place finish and a trophy under McLeish. 

44 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Phil as assistant? I think I'd rather keep Clarke tbh.

I saw that yesterday and really think there is some substance behind that tweet.  Dr T only follows 49 people and was very strange if he starts randomly following him.  Id say you arent far off the mark.  Probably why Bruce hasnt been announced yet is they are getting the backroom staff sorted first.

14 hours ago, av1 said:

He brought the club he gets to choose who manages it, i don't see any problem with that. 

Of course he does. 

Let's hope he starts looking a bit more closely at their footballing credentials in future rather than their business management qualifications. And maybe listens to some advice from people with a bit more experience of appointing managers in English football. If you don't see any problem with him appointing another loser to manage the club, I have to respectfully part company with you.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2