Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

Well, it wouldn't be a new manager thread without this guy holding this shirt.. 

header.jpg

Oooh! Cesare Prandelli and his shiny jackets would be fun.

Could we tempt him away from Valencia :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donniewyer said:

I've not seen or heard any report that Clarke has impressed.

It was in the papers a few days back. It said something like they are impressed with how Clarke has galvanised the squad and the players have responded well to him (which I questioned because a chunk of our players are away on internationals, and we have not played a match to see any difference in performance/result). I think (hope) they are keeping Clarke sweet to buy us some time in the managerial search.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It was in the papers a few days back. It said something like they are impressed with how Clarke has galvanised the squad and the players have responded well to him (which I questioned because a chunk of our players are away on internationals, and we have not played a match to see any difference in performance/result). I think (hope) they are keeping Clarke sweet to buy us some time in the managerial search.

I think he's on about Clarke's supposed interview today. 

• Like 1

Bruce said that he was hoping to hear something from us this week. The longer we wait to make a decision the more likely it is that someone like Derby or England for example will offer him an alternative. The sooner we make a decision the better because a new manager will already face a mountain to climb to save this season for us and that mountain will grow even higher if we drop more points before we make an appointment.   

Problem the Villa have is that if they approach a club for their manager they've got to really offer them the job there and then, cause otherwise it leaves that manager in a awkward position with that club especially if he kicked up fuss to speak to us. A bit like Lambert at Norwich. Say for example Villa may want to see if Dyche would have any interest in the job and if so what would he bring and is it what Villa need?, Villa maybe still want to weigh there options with Bruce. 

Edited by NuneatonVilla

I have a feeling they told every candidate one other person they've interviewed, just to see if they leak it to the press. (It's what I'd do) That's why Bruce and Clarke are all over the place but it's been quiet on anyone else. 

IF we appoint a manager other than Steve Bruce and it doesn't work out.....its going to be very embarrassing having a guy with 4 championship promotions and an England candidate on his Cv not to mention captain for one of the worlds top managers of the day.

I just hope we don't **** it up again.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

IF we appoint a manager other than Steve Bruce and it doesn't work out.....its going to be very embarrassing having a guy with 4 championship promotions and an England candidate on his Cv not to mention captain for one of the worlds top managers of the day.

I just hope we don't **** it up again.

So?

So was McLeish, so was Keane, so was Ince. Stuart Pearce was captain under Brian Clough, I wouldn't want him either. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, av1 said:

Some perspective manages might draw parallels with leeds.

The better managers will see this. 

The difference between us and dirty Leeds,  Forest,  Sheffield and the like is they went down and had no money. 

I believe Xia has the money. If we fail this year or next year we will go up eventually sooner rather than later assuming Xia doesn't move himself on. 

The parallels with those other clubs is unfounded. Added to which we ARE bigger than those clubs. Our corporate hospitality and fan base mean we will always have more money. 5000 to Preston away? 

Even with a 10 year stay or another relegation we would still be bigger than any other club around us. Eventually it would come good but I don't think Xia is a quitter anyway,  I am convinced he will back Bruce or the next man if necessary to get us where we need to be. 

• Like 2

Well, after those tweets from Pat Murphy, this is fascinating. I think it's Dyche.

A very long shot, but just noticed on Oddschecker (got to stop refreshing it every 5 mins for some kind of clue) that Louis Van Gaal has just entered the betting on Betfair at 7/2. Just the kind of name i think Dr Xia would love. Maybe he is a name under the radar?

With that and the Dr now following Phil Neville on Twitter, ok...........i'll get my coat :D

Edited by sidcowans21

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The difference between us and dirty Leeds,  Forest,  Sheffield and the like is they went down and had no money. 

I believe Xia has the money. If we fail this year or next year we will go up eventually sooner rather than later assuming Xia doesn't move himself on. 

The parallels with those other clubs is unfounded. Added to which we ARE bigger than those clubs. Our corporate hospitality and fan base mean we will always have more money. 5000 to Preston away? 

Even with a 10 year stay or another relegation we would still be bigger than any other club around us. Eventually it would come good but I don't think Xia is a quitter anyway,  I am convinced he will back Bruce or the next man if necessary to get us where we need to be. 

We aren't bigger than those clubs at all. We are just the last of those clubs to have been a Premiership club and so at the moment we still have a large fan base around us. If we were to finish in the bottom half of the Championship this season that will change as those teams have found out in past years.

We have a great history, but for the past 5 years we have been a shambles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcowans21 said:

Well, after those tweets from Pat Murphy, this is fascinating.

A very long shot, but just noticed on Oddschecker (got to stop refreshing it every 5 mins for some kind of clue) that Louis Van Gaal has just enetred the betting on Betfair at 7/2.

With that and the Dr now following Phil Neville on Twitter, ok...........i'll get my coat :D

As i said earlier there is def something to the Phil Neville thing, very much doubt Van Gaal. Hope not anyway

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We aren't bigger than those clubs at all. We are just the last of those clubs to have been a Premiership club and so at the moment we still have a large fan base around us. If we were to finish in the bottom half of the Championship this season that will change as those teams have found out in past years.

We have a great history, but for the past 5 years we have been a shambles. 

We are bigger too :P

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I love your sentiment but it's misguided. If we don't go up Xia won't keep ploughing money in as we will get hit with FFP. 5000 to Preston is brilliant but that novelty will soon wear off. Leeds had attendances that matched ours and used to take massive numbers away but not being up the top erodes it all. We have to get promoted before the parachute payments run out or we face a very stark reality. That's why we need a manager who can come in and get this bunch playing we can't afford to write off this season. 

• Like 1