Next Villa Manager

Richard

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can he be any worse than the previous 5 broken men that have managed us?

No, But that was a different setup for 4 of them, besides. I think we can get better than what has been suggested so far.

If a club like Newcastle can - who have won **** all in their history, then I am sure we can!

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Joe Cole was just one of the names used as example, He let a lot of people go too. The over all consensus is the Liverpool fans where happy to see the back of him (Woy).

true and they loved his replacement the Dogleash the racist sympathiser and signings he was over were even worse, tells you what you need to know about Liverpool fans ;)

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

true and they loved his replacement the Dogleash the racist sympathiser and signings he was over were even worse, tells you what you need to know about Liverpool fans ;)

I don't think they where any worse. He signed Suarez!  .. when sold it generated the club a nice 50m profit.

But Liverpool fans in general.. well enough said.

Either way, No to Woy, No to Bruce.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think they where any worse. He signed Suarez!  .. when sold it generated the club a nice 50m profit.

But Liverpool fans in general.. well enough said.

Either way, No to Woy, No to Bruce.

If Bruce is on a downward trajectory then Woy is in the basement.  That would be much worse than merely underwhelming.  That would be torch and pitchfork stuff.  Thankfully, I'd put your house (not my house ;)) on that one not happening.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Same here. He's got a pretty good record of doing exactly what we want the next manager to do. I don't understand the backlash, is it because he didn't have small heath and Hull playing like Barcelona?

a. he plays shit football and loses plot after a season or 2

b. he is awful in the transfer market when he is giving funds e.g. Huddleston, Hernandez, O'Shea, Heskey, Gronkjaer

c. he always signs his crap son

d. he treated Crystal Palace like a piece of shit

e. I never liked him as a player or a manager regardless of his previous clubs

f. his judgement of players isnt really that great.  he got rid of Andy Johnson the moment he went into Birmingham and preferred Horsfield

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But Liverpool fans in general.. well enough said..

for all Suarez greatness Carroll, Downing, Henderson, Adam, Sebastian Coates cost nearly 90 million :lol:

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep, I think, broadly speaking, there are 2 trains of thought regarding what Villa should do next.

Some, like yourself, have deemed promotion at the earliest opportunity to be the single most important thing, above all else, and with that in mind, Steve Bruce becomes the appealing choice because he has made a bit of a habit of going up.

Others think the club should be looking more long term and are willing to give it a season of re-grouping if it means getting the right man in now to build something for the future.

Both approaches have merit and I can see both sides of the discussion.  I'm not even fully sure which of those approaches I buy into most.  I buy into both to be honest.  I want my cake and I want to eat it too.  But if push came to shove, I think this club needs to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.  The new gulf in funding between the Premier League and the Championship means that every season a club spends away from the party is harming their long term outlook of ever truly being there - even if they go up after a few years away from the money.

What we do when we get there is another discussion.  Maybe Bruce would be short term.  Maybe we would dump him with a nice hefty payoff, but so what?  We'd be a Premier League club and if Tony is good to his word we'd be an ambitious Premier League club, and one not just capable of being top half, but one of the few clubs big enough to sustain it.

Exactly the financial implications of not getting promoted are frightening. Our sole focus should be getting up. 

At least we can agree that Steve Bruce is a football manager.

If you look at our recent appointments, there's an argument that they actually aren't.

Di Matteo merely oversaw an already-sailing Chelsea.  Black is ... Black.  Sherwood is not a manager.  He's more a Red Adair type.  Garde managed Lyon.  I could manage Lyon.  There's about two and a half teams in that league.

Now, yes OK, I may be slightly over-stating their collective incompetence to make a point, but still, the fact I can even make those arguments for what is a consecutive list of managers, makes you wonder how the hell we've been able to amass such a gaggle of gobshites in such a short space of time.  It's bloody fascinating actually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

At least we can agree that Steve Bruce is a football manager.

If you look at our recent appointments, there's an argument that they actually aren't.

Di Matteo merely oversaw an already-sailing Chelsea.  Black is ... Black.  Sherwood is not a manager.  He's more a Red Adair type.  Garde managed Lyon.  I could manage Lyon.  There's about two and a half teams in that league.

Now, yes OK, I may be slightly over-stating their collective incompetence to make a point, but still, the fact I can even make those arguments for what is a consecutive list of managers, makes you wonder how the hell we've been able to amass such a gaggle of gobshites in such a short space of time.  It's bloody fascinating actually.

I actually think this is a very good point.

Of our last few previous "managers" only Lambert was actually a manager. The others just found themselves in management by chance and opportunity.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

yet he never finished about 3rd ;)

40 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No, But that was a different setup for 4 of them, besides. I think we can get better than what has been suggested so far.

If a club like Newcastle can - who have won **** all in their history, then I am sure we can!

"Hi Jose, you don't seem to have submitted your CV, it must have got lost in the post. What, you didn't apply? Do you not realise that we won some trophies when you were a lad?"

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

A guy who in his own words 'doesnt really know much about tactics' says it all in my view. 

So what does he bring to the managerial role then?  Thats a genuine question by the way, motivation is all i can think of.

If motivation is all he brings and it works in getting us promoted, then great!  He has experience at the right end of the Championship (and success here, too) and the wrong end of the Premier League - exactly where we've been for the past 5 seasons and to date.

I understand the clamour for a more "exciting" manager, but he ticks a lot of boxes for where we are right now.

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think you have to have a lot of self belief and balls of steel to take this job.  It's career suicide for young upcoming managers 

I think the complete opposite.  Under Lerner yes i would agree, but you now have a team full of quality in the league they are in.  If you cant make them win then there is nothing up and coming about you as a manager.  Also what up and coming manager would not take the opportunity to manager someone the size of Villa. 

I can see your point though :), just i see it different