Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If motivation is all he brings and it works in getting us promoted, then great!  He has experience at the right end of the Championship (and success here, too) and the wrong end of the Premier League - exactly where we've been for the past 5 seasons and to date.

I understand the clamour for a more "exciting" manager, but he ticks a lot of boxes for where we are right now.

Dont get me wrong, I can see why you would appoint Bruce, but its a short term solution and wont get us to champions league in 5 years.  If we do appoint him, its a means to an end, nothing else.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

a. he plays shit football and loses plot after a season or 2

b. he is awful in the transfer market when he is giving funds e.g. Huddleston, Hernandez, O'Shea, Heskey, Gronkjaer

c. he always signs his crap son

d. he treated Crystal Palace like a piece of shit

e. I never liked him as a player or a manager regardless of his previous clubs

f. his judgement of players isnt really that great.  he got rid of Andy Johnson the moment he went into Birmingham and preferred Horsfield

a.  If shit football gets us promoted, then...

b.  The transfer window is closed.

c.  See above.

d.  A personal grudge from 15 years ago?  Fair enough!

e.  See above, but extend.

f.  The moment he went to Birmingham, he took them from Championship mid-table to the Premier League straight away, signed Dugarry (my Bluenose mates think he's still their best ever signing) and finished above Villa.  Really, terrible judgement ;)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

So its... "Big Fat Bruce's Claret Blue Army" :D

So that he doesn't think we have been insulting him all these years, I think it is only fair that we sing "Potato head's claret and blue army" so to not define the use of "potato head" as being a term of insult against him ;)

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"Hi Jose, you don't seem to have submitted your CV, it must have got lost in the post. What, you didn't apply? Do you not realise that we won some trophies when you were a lad?"

Well that wouldn't be Newcastle you are referring to then!  ;)

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Dont get me wrong, I can see why you would appoint Bruce, but its a short term solution and wont get us to champions league in 5 years.  If we do appoint him, its a means to an end, nothing else.

Oh, I agree.  But then... which manager are we hiring right now who gets us to the Champions League in 5 years?!  I would suggest the following:

Nobody.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

c.  See above.

f.  The moment he went to Birmingham, he took them from mid-table to the Premier League straight away, signed Dugarry (my Bluenose mates think he's still their best ever signing) and finished above Villa.  Really, terrible judgement ;)

why would I have a personal grudge about a club I dont support, its a dick move just like MON with Villa and Pulis with Palace.

you do know he probably wont sign unless Xia gives him money to spend in January or he would be a shit chairman

as for Dugarry he is a World Cup winner and played for Milan, Barcelona and Marseille. hardly plucked from obscurity ;)

Just now, bobzy said:

Oh, I agree.  But then... which manager are we hiring right now who gets us to the Champions League in 5 years?!  I would suggest the following:

Nobody.

Wagner, i still hold out that glimmer of hope that the chairman was putting pressure on him and he hasn't ruled himself out.  I agree it would probably take next season to get us promoted.  Yes Bruce style will have more of an immediate impact. 

Just now, Zatman said:

why would I have a personal grudge about a club I dont support, its a dick move just like MON with Villa and Pulis with Palace.

you do know he probably wont sign unless Xia gives him money to spend in January or he would be a shit chairman

as for Dugarry he is a World Cup winner and played for Milan, Barcelona and Marseille. hardly plucked from obscurity ;)

Personal grudge... as in, against Steve Bruce.  Nothing to do with Crystal Palace or Q.P.R. or any other team he left to move somewhere else.  There's plenty of "dick" managerial moves - they happen.  Same with players.  Welcome to football.

No idea about the second part - I mean, how can you possibly know that?

Nice shift of goalposts at the end though.  His "judgement of players isn't really that great" but, when he manages to attract and fit in a quality player, it doesn't count because he hasn't been "plucked from obscurity"?  **** lol :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nice shift of goalposts at the end though.  His "judgement of players isn't really that great" but, when he manages to attract and fit in a quality player, it doesn't count because he hasn't been "plucked from obscurity"?  **** lol :rolleyes:

and for every Dugarry or Forssell their is more of Heskey, Gronkjaer, Huddlestone, Abel Hernandez, Pandiani, John O'Shea, Wes Brown types

welcome back Gabby

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

c.  See above.

f.  The moment he went to Birmingham, he took them from Championship mid-table to the Premier League straight away, signed Dugarry (my Bluenose mates think he's still their best ever signing) and finished above Villa.  Really, terrible judgement ;)

B any of those players you mentioned would walk into this side at the level they were when he bought them! 

If he's that bad at signing players he must be a brilliant manager to achieve the results he does!!! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nobody.

18 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Wagner, i still hold out that glimmer of hope that the chairman was putting pressure on him and he hasn't ruled himself out.  I agree it would probably take next season to get us promoted.  Yes Bruce style will have more of an immediate impact.

I know football is a short term business but this has even shocked me. How many games in total has he had as a manager again.....?

This time last year Shef Wed had 5 pts more than what we have now and went on a run to finish 6th. We can still aim for the playoffs.  Bruce's team were one of the top scorers last year with a solid defence. Winning football isn't boring. We are building a back room team to sort out the scouting system and have a better recruitment policy. It won't just be on Bruce. He's not my 1st choice but he's probably the best and by that I mean most experienced and the best record we can get i our position.