Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Di Matteo merely oversaw an already-sailing Chelsea.  Black is ... Black.  Sherwood is not a manager.  He's more a Red Adair type.  Garde managed Lyon.  I could manage Lyon.  There's about two and a half teams in that league.

I bet you'd still finish 5th :P 

• Like 1

Bruce on a 2 year deal, wth a break clause for both parties in the summer. 

Give him a specific mandate - year one get us promoted, year two - keep us up. 

Shake hands, thanks very much and then get the much fabled 'legacy' guy in who is going to make us play like the Brummie Barca. 

Right here, right now, he's the best short term bet aside from Allardyce IMO.

and as for 'boring', well if he adds a 5th promotion to his CV, it will be the most exciting season we've had in half a decade or more - even if we win 1-0 every week. Winning is exciting. 

• Like 4

Just now, wazzap24 said:

Shake hands, thanks very much and then get the much fabled 'legacy' guy in who is going to make us play like the Brummie Barca. 

and as for 'boring', well if he adds a 5th promotion to his CV, it will be the most exciting season we've had in half a decade or more - even if we win 1-0 every week. Winning is exciting. 

Also let him know if we get promoted it isnt his players that will be bought.  Be the footballing committee that he is part of.  Just incase he throws his toys out of the pram like he can do.  

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Also let him know if we get promoted it isnt his players that will be bought.  Be the footballing committee that he is part of.  Just incase he throws his toys out of the pram like he can do.  

in the scenario I laid out then yes, that would be sensible. If we appoint him on a long term deal, then the Doc will have to be fair and allow him to build his own team. 

If we appoint him on a short term basis with a specific remit, then I think it's fine to say he will have a relatively limited input into transfers. 

24 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

We should do a deal with Bruce where we should offer a two year contract, however if we're higher than 15th in the premier league by the time his contract expires there should be a clause which says he's entitled to a two year extension. Also if things don't work out it means we can get rid without having to pay a penny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

We should do a deal with Bruce where we should offer a two year contract, however if we're higher than 15th in the premier league by the time his contract expires there should be a clause which says he's entitled to a two year extension. Also if things don't work out it means we can get rid without having to pay a penny.

I don't know, I think I've had enough of clauses depending on this or that.  If he succeeds, keep him, if he fails, sack him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Not a bad shout. 

Personally, I think he could d a really good long term job, but accept that I'm probably in a minority there. 

A short term deal, or a longer one with caveats is fine with me. 

1 hour ago, Flynnchin84 said:

So i've been on and off this thread lately. Basically, is Bruce taking over until...

a- we get promoted and then we try find someone else

b- we don't get promoted and then sack him

or c - is he here for the long run?

Yep.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't know, I think I've had enough of clauses depending on this or that.  If he succeeds, keep him, if he fails, sack him.

In fairness, that's what a deal with clauses would entail. 

if he succeeds under the terms of his deal, he stays, if he doesn't, he goes. 

Better than a straight 3/4 year deal and we have to pay him up after 12 months? 

Although with us, we will need a clause for every 10 games or so! 

10 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Why? Why would you put yourself in that position? This is Steve Bruce we are talking about, no need to be giving out ridiculous deals. Give that fat head a rolling contract and tell him to take it or leave it,

• Like 2

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Why? Why would you put yourself in that position? This is Steve Bruce we are talking about, no need to be giving out ridiculous deals. Give that fat head a rolling contract and tell him to take it or leave it,

Well to tell the truth I'd sack him the day after he gets us promoted, get somebody in to take us to the next level in the premier league. I wouldn't trust Bruce in being the man to keep us in the premier league.

He'd keep us up (with decent backing), not sure if he could take us where the owner wants to go though, but equally he's never managed a club with that level of ambition and (hopefully) financial backing, so who knows?

A lot depends on how he sets us up. We might be a bit top heavy for his liking, so can see another defensive midfielder and a new RB coming in at least in Jan. Then I think we will bore our way towards mid table relying on the individual skill of players like Kodija and Adomah. We might, just might get play-offs, but if we go up playing in that style, I can see how it might be sensible to do the same thing again in year 1 of the prem for sake of stability.