Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The only thing that pisses me off about this guy is the BCFC in his screen name...spit...

Birmingham were formed before Bristol City, but we did have the initials BCFC first :)

• Like 2

Bolton at home October 2003. I had just moved to Birmingham (and to the UK) and was open-minded who to start supporting. I had planned to go to both villa park and st andrews and see which felt right. But the minute I stepped into Villa Park I was sold and knew this will be my club. The stadium, atmosphere, everything felt right. Game itself wasn't great. Villa had a poor start that season and this game wasn't any different. 1-1 draw and Angel missed a late penalty. Didn't stop me coming back week after week, and I still try come over once or twice a season even though I haven't lived in the country since 2009.

• Like 4

Not 100% sure as I watched it on T.V... but I know we beat Liverpool so my research tells me it was 28 Feb 98. Stan Collymore brace. John Gregory was manager. My grandpa hated Liverpool (I don't know why) so when Villa won, I just went they're my team. Soon after signed Dion Dublin and I fell in love with Villa (and Dion)..... still not sure whether I love Dion more for all his goals or that headbutt on Savage :D

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Ugo debut I think?

I think that was a 2-3 home defeat in 1992? Big Ron purchased Ugo

The 3-3 was GT, the year we were going for the title. May have been Cascarino's first goal? 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Tickles me when Bestie said " If I had of been born ugly.....I would have been better than Pele"

.....He used to frequent the "Elbow Room" as testimony....to the lack of ugliness, I mean.

I used to pop in there now and then as well. Thanks TRO I now know why I was also not better than Pele (I had always wondered)! :D

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Birmingham were formed before Bristol City, but we did have the initials BCFC first :)

Yep, formed as Small Heath Alliance before breaking a pact between the clubs not to take the name of the city. Not that it has done them much good. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yep, formed as Small Heath Alliance before breaking a pact between the clubs not to take the name of the city. Not that it has done them much good. 

we got them back though when we took their manager ;):puke:

• Like 1

Not exactly sure which game, but it would have been the 96/97 season as a 7/8 year old. 

I fell in love with Villa during the 96 Coca-Cola Cup final, and never looked back. My dad wasn't much of a football man, and followed WBA, but having to take me up the Villa he soon forgot that. My grandad from mums side is a big Villa fan and tells great stories of years gone by, and I go to most matches with him now.

We've won buggar all apart from the Peace Cup and Inter-Toto in my time supporting Villa. Hope they can change that with the league this season. 

5 hours ago, AValon said:

Bristol Rovers. Pretty sure it was boxing day and I can remember Andy Lochead jumping higher than I ever saw anyone jump in my life. The years a bit vague as well, but its got to be around 71 maybe. I did see the Santos/Pele game as well, but that was only a friendly.

Possibly 9/1/71 when we won 2-1 at Villa Park with goals from Rioch and an own goal or 9/4/72 when we won by the same score with Andy getting both. The Santos game was a friendly but it is a game that all of us that were lucky enough to have been there will always remember.    

• Like 4

earliest game i remember was villa and manu in the league cup final win. watched it with my brother at home, he is a man u fan.i was 7.. my first time going to a game was april this year. 4-2 loss to southampton. there was goals anyway. originally planned to go to the liverpool game in february. 8-0!! lucky i didnt

After following the club for 17 years I finally made it over last year to see them live a few times. First game I attended was home to Swansea sitting in the lower Holte. Will never forget Ayew stooping to head in at the back post right in front of me. Went down hill from there.

Will also never forget doing the Villa Park tour the next day after Sherwood had just been sacked. FWIW the tour guide said when DOL had been sacked he didn't even come collect his car, he just left it in the VP car park.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Ugo debut I think?

Not sure on that to be honest, although incidentally I did soon after have him as the first lettered name on a shirt, I was wearing an England top at the time (despite being Welsh, it was my English fathers doing!) and my mum only had enough on her for one number and three letters so I had 5 and ugo :)

I remember my first game, and it was a cracker. A midweek game under the floodlights (was blown away emerging into the upper holte and seeing the whole place lit up, before that I was never really fussed about football! Think I was 13 years old at the time!), a home game against Leicester City, memorable for Villa being 4-1 up with about 12 minutes to go, super Tommy Johnson missed an open goal from 2 yards out, then they hit back and scored 3 goals in quick succesion. 4-4 being the final score. From then on, I was hooked!

4 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I remember my first game, and it was a cracker. A midweek game under the floodlights (was blown away emerging into the upper holte and seeing the whole place lit up, before that I was never really fussed about football! Think I was 13 years old at the time!), a home game against Leicester City, memorable for Villa being 4-1 up with about 12 minutes to go, super Tommy Johnson missed an open goal from 2 yards out, then they hit back and scored 3 goals in quick succesion. 4-4 being the final score. From then on, I was hooked!

I remember that one well, I'm pretty sure they scored first too?

1979 vs Ipswich Town ended 1-1.  Still picture the goal in my head.  Struck from outside the box.

I was in the North Stand and was taken to the game by my Dad's cousin as my Dad had passed away a couple of years earlier.

On 9/3/2016 at 20:03, knoppy1987 said:

15th August 1998 Everton away. 0-0. 

John Collins missed a penalty - saved by Mark Bosnich. 

I remember watching all of the players getting off the coach heading into the Stadium. Bosnich and Gary Charles first off. Dwight Yorke last off and going to Manure.  

I was at that one! 

I worked with an Everton fan who suggested we go for the first day of the new season.

We drove to Watford and got the train. 

Went to HMV and Burger King. 

Am I right in saying we had just sold Yorke and were short of forwards so we played Scimeca up front?   I didn't realise we would get Dion Dublin soon and the season would take off! 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Â