Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

76-77 second leg v Royal Antwerp. I think we were 4-1 down from first leg and drew 1-1 at VP again if memory serves right Ray Graydon scored our goal. Stood on the old Witton terrace with my brother and caught the bug- thankfully:-)

West Brom away (I went as a supposed 9 year old baggies fan lol), September 5th 1985 (my sisters birthday present). We won 3-0, Mark Walters, Tony Daley and an Allan Evans penalty sealed the deal. I'll always remember the fact that the attendance was awful for a derby but Villa filled the Smethwick end and I wished I was in there with them, Technically I became a bit of a glory hunter as well I suppose because West Brom were utter dog shit!!

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

Was that Neil Cox in there? Jeez. I'd forgotten about him.

I remember a few female supporters singing, when he was on the bench......"We want Cox, We want Cox"

2 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

West Brom away (I went as a supposed 9 year old baggies fan lol), September 5th 1985 (my sisters birthday present). We won 3-0, Mark Walters, Tony Daley and an Allan Evans penalty sealed the deal. I'll always remember the fact that the attendance was awful for a derby but Villa filled the Smethwick end and I wished I was in there with them, Technically I became a bit of a glory hunter as well I suppose because West Brom were utter dog shit!!

I loved that old smethwick end- always generated a great atmosphere- I'm pretty sure the first time I went around 77-78 we used to get the whole terrace and then as time passed we seemed to get fewer and fewer tickets and before you knew it- a big fence and Sandwell fans to our left ! Good times.

12 hours ago, tismyk said:

Marked Pele out of the game against Santos at Villa Park, didn`t give him a sniff.

Magic times.

I was there for the Santos game, couldnt believe it to get to see Pele live at Villa park.

I also remember beating ManU 2-1 at Villa park, It was a truely frightening experience to feel the whole stadiums reaction everytime Georgie Best got the ball. A reaction I've never witnessed since from the greats that I have seen (Pele Platini Zidane Ronaldo & Ronaldo - not forgetting of course our very own Gaby)

Best really was an unbelievable footballer, he tracked back, could tackle, he had the vision to see a pass forward, he could dribble, outfox players, excellerate passed players, he was strong on the ball, could ride tackles, would get kicked and pushed but still retained his balance and the ball, he was 2 footed, could shoot and cross a ball, and had heading ability. The complete player.

Best had all of this and it kind of makes me laugh when others such as Maradonna & Messi are rated as better players when they were not as complete as players as Georgie B was.

anyway a little OT but still the good old days are cherishable

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Best really was an unbelievable footballer, he tracked back, could tackle, he had the vision to see a pass forward, he could dribble, outfox players, excellerate passed players, he was strong on the ball, could ride tackles, would get kicked and pushed but still retained his balance and the ball, he was 2 footed, could shoot and cross a ball, and had heading ability. The complete player.

Yes yes yes,  but what did he actually bring to the game? Other than that obviously.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes yes yes,  but what did he actually bring to the game? Other than that obviously.  

Half a bottle of whiskey in his blood?

He transcended the game, he was the first Football superstar, Puskas & Di Stefano were legends of the game, a bit like Golf really, Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan were some of the original greats, but Seve transcended the game.

Edited by Grasshopper

25 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I can see one thing missing from the list of attributes Grasshopper listed. Could he keep things ticking over?

Tis true,  I can barely breathe when Westwood gets the ball in anticipation if witnessing another world class tick over. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

He transcended the game, he was the first Football superstar, Puskas & Di Stefano were legends of the game, a bit like Golf really, Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan were some of the original greats, but Seve transcended the game.

Sorry,  perhaps I should have put a smiley after my post?  Was aiming for what have the Roman's ever done for us type of gag. 

31 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Magic times.

I was there for the Santos game, couldnt believe it to get to see Pele live at Villa park.

I also remember beating ManU 2-1 at Villa park, It was a truely frightening experience to feel the whole stadiums reaction everytime Georgie Best got the ball. A reaction I've never witnessed since from the greats that I have seen (Pele Platini Zidane Ronaldo & Ronaldo - not forgetting of course our very own Gaby)

Best had all of this and it kind of makes me laugh when others such as Maradonna & Messi are rated as better players when they were not as complete as players as Georgie B was.

anyway a little OT but still the good old days are cherishable

Tickles me when Bestie said " If I had of been born ugly.....I would have been better than Pele"

.....He used to frequent the "Elbow Room" as testimony....to the lack of ugliness, I mean.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â