Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

18 hours ago, Ooh-Ah said:

No one made me support Villa. My dad was a Leeds fan and all my friends supported United or Liverpool. Don't ask me why I didn't jump ship.

Same here  Ooh-Ah.My dad was Wolves during their glory years of the 50s but he never pressured me to go to the Wolves, he let me make my own mind up . I think he was secretly delighted his only child , a  daughter was into football .

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

I've just realised, I don't think I actually saw the goal we scored at my first Villa game. It was a penalty and everyone one was standing up and since I was only little I just had to go by the crowd reactions.

It was a Dublin header if you're correct it was the March 2002 Arsenal game.

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

more importantly , we should have a thread  titled

"At what Villa match did you first see Werewolf ? "

I miss the chants of " We've got a werewolf , We've got a werewolf , You don't , you don't "

Since you asked, I first saw him in the flesh at the 1995/96 encounter at home to Southampton (April 1996?) - waltzing along the Trinity Road. We won 3-0 that day if I recall correctly, and Dwight Yorke was wearing white boots. That was the time when any boots other than black really stood out.

20 hours ago, Villaninireland said:

11th October 1975 V Spurs. I nagged & nagged my dad to take me to the Villa & luckily he knew Dicky Dossett who played for us in the 50s. He used to get us tickets in the Trinity , top price of £5. Dad saidhe would take me to that as my first match as there wouldn't be many there , just the 40,000 dad .

I am trying to think back to that game. It must have been the first season back in div 1 as it was then. If memory serves me right Keith Leonard scored the winner on one leg. Last game he played for us, knee injury ended his career. Shame! Mind you ever cloud has a silver lining. I think we bought Andy Gray on the back of that. 

My first game was to Villa vs Newcastle, I was absolutely sure Gary Speed scored the only goal late on with a header but I can't find a game where that happened. So it must have been someone else. Around 1998-99 - they had a bald fullback who clattered someone early on and for the whole game the Villa fans started whistling / singing the Addams family theme tune (Fester Addams) as soon as the ball went anywhere near him. Was hilarious until we lost, then I probably cried.

I remember the chap who took me was a colleague of my mum, and I loved him so much for taking me to that game.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I am trying to think back to that game. It must have been the first season back in div 1 as it was then. If memory serves me right Keith Leonard scored the winner on one leg. Last game he played for us, knee injury ended his career. Shame! Mind you ever cloud has a silver lining. I think we bought Andy Gray on the back of that. 

Andy Gray played in this match & scored , home debut. What a £110,000 well spent that was.

2 minutes ago, Villaninireland said:

Andy Gray played in this match & scored , home debut. What a £110,000 well spent that was.

Andy first match was at VP we lost to Man Utd and he scored a diving header as we lost 2-1 I think, (I was there)

3 hours ago, Jimbop said:

My first game was to Villa vs Newcastle, I was absolutely sure Gary Speed scored the only goal late on with a header but I can't find a game where that happened. So it must have been someone else. Around 1998-99 - they had a bald fullback who clattered someone early on and for the whole game the Villa fans started whistling / singing the Addams family theme tune (Fester Addams) as soon as the ball went anywhere near him. Was hilarious until we lost, then I probably cried.

I remember the chap who took me was a colleague of my mum, and I loved him so much for taking me to that game.

Duncan Ferguson

11/10/1986 Aston Villa 3 -1 Southampton

We got relegated that season.  We had just moved to the area and tried games at Villa, Coventry, and Wolves and one other that escapes me to see who we were going to support (my Dad and I).  Looking back it was not really a fair contest.

• Like 1

December 12th 1959 - Cardiff came visiting ( and lost 2-0 - though they were promoted with us.)

The last season that Villa had 3 players who all reached 20 goals in the League, I'm sure

Dad took 10-yr-old me down the front of the old Witton End where I could peer through the old white railings at my soon to be heroes - and be slightly frightened each time the ball came my way. Pity he waited until that date - I missed the 11-1 against Charlton.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, FrenchVillaLova said:

At home against QPR in March 1996. Ended 4-2 with QPR scoring a weird own goal.

I remember that game, it was my second at Villa Park. Didn't Dwight Yorke score an overhead kick in front of the north stand? 

Â