Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I can see one thing missing from the list of attributes Grasshopper listed. Could he keep things ticking over?

I know you guys are joking, but Best was one of the first players I ever saw who through keeping the ball and drawing fouls allowed ManU to "keep ticking over". He'd often dribble down the flanks, be outnumbered, then dribble himself back into midfield and lay it off to a player in space. (A bit like Westwood but without the dribbling part)

• Like 1

Arsenal away October 1995, we lost 2-0. I was there with my dad sitting in the Arsenal section with a Villa scarf. I remember a steward advising us to hide the scarf and not to cheer too loud if Villa would score. I was a bit afraid of what would happen if Villa scored and embarrassingly a part of me was actually relieved that we didn't win :-) 

6 hours ago, blandy said:

There was a 5-1 against Arsenal midweek, Gary Shelton scored a hattrick. I think we beat Ipswich 3 or 4 nil. Got the programme somewhere, I'll dig it out and have a look later.

My first game was a year or two before, away at Swindon. Maybe it was a 1-1 or 0-0 or maybe we lost 1-0. Think we had a goal disallowed in the first half.

Without cheating my recollection is 5-2 against Ipswich with Andy Gray scoring a hat trick (possibly on debut ?) with one of the goals being when he charged down the keeper clearing it or robbed a defender dallying on the ball ?  Right in front of us on the right, lower side of the Holte End ?

Whichever (and of course I may have the wrong game altogether) it was it was electric, that goal ignited the crowd and its when we knew we had signed a terrific player.  Mind you ,that could all be rubbish !

Anyway, my first game was Blues V Swindon, aged 9 - I remember the program, Don Rodgers and walking away from the ground (70/71).  My Dad always said he took me there first to show me how crap they were !

Next season was my first, and I cant remember the first game, but I think it was Brighton.  The first game I have real memories of was the same season when we beat Bournemouth.  As most will know that features heavily on a Club DVD, and when I bought that it was amazing to find all the stuff I remembered was in it !  Never forget Vowdens goal, and I remember before the game there was an IRA bomb alert and  - being young - I was a bit scared, then some guy shouted "lets hope they've put it down Vowdens shorts !! " (he wasn't the most popular  - I later learnt because he had come from Blues).  Chuckle chuckle,-  then of course he scored.

But my overriding abiding memory from that first season, and my outstanding memory ever of the Villa, (I wonder how much of this is accurate ?  I know the score is)  was Brian Little coming on for debut and scoring in a rain soaked 5-1 romp against Torquay (to win the League if I recall correctly, with the Cup presented next week against Chesterfield ?).

He ran at them, late second half attacking the Witton, and did a back heel flick thing (became a trademark ) then slotted it in. 

Know what ?  I've just typed all that and suddenly realised, for the first time in 40 years or so, that it can't be true.  I must have gone a fair bit the season before coz we used to stand on the Witton - (  in the days when you could walk through the little gate and swap ends at half time) but were definitely Holte regulars by the time of Brighton.

Remember that goal (from Edu ?) when he bent it round the wall.  (Lame to fame - saw Pele play and also shook his hand outside the toilets at Highbury in 1981 !) Sorry, getting carried away in Sunday afternoon reminiscence.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's 1976/77 season. I think it's either 5-2 at home to Ipswich or 5-1 at home to Arsenal.

I was only 4/5 at the time and I remember it being an evening game and my grandad trying to leave before the end but something happening that meant we had to go back in and we'd missed two/three goals.

All of that may be incorrect (as I was so young). Any older bods who remembered the games and knew of any details would be fondly received.

The Arsenal game you mention (5-1) was Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.18.49 pm.png

and the Ipswich game that season, for which I kept the programme ended 2-2.

so your 5-2 game will be the one Terry mentioned, above

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Arsenal game you mention (5-1) was Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.18.49 pm.png

and the Ipswich game that season, for which I kept the programme ended 2-2.

so your 5-2 game will be the one Terry mentioned, above

Cheers for looking. :)

I don't think it would have been the 1979 game, though, as I probably wouldn't have had time to make it up there from school. Or does that one fit with scoring a couple of late goals?

If the day is right (i.e. Wednesday), then this one may fit:

Wednesday, 20. October 1976 Aston Villa 5 Arsenal 1

Blimey, Arsenal mustn't have liked coming to VP back in those days.

• Like 1

Bristol Rovers. Pretty sure it was boxing day and I can remember Andy Lochead jumping higher than I ever saw anyone jump in my life. The years a bit vague as well, but its got to be around 71 maybe. I did see the Santos/Pele game as well, but that was only a friendly.

20 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

My first Villa match was last Saturday.

I'll leave it at that, don't want to upset the locals ;)

The only thing that pisses me off about this guy is the BCFC in his screen name...spit...

• Like 1

No idea what my first game was as I'm too old...it would probably have been in the late 60's taken by my Dad. I seem to remember QPR at Villa Park with Terry Venables playing, and Torquay with Dick Edwards getting grief from the Holte (probably early 70's).

Saw Pele in '72, first time in the Trinity. was a regular on the Holte from 1976..until Skyscumsport and Lamebert finished me off.

Villa vs Man U sometime in the mid 70's. I would have been about 14 at the time. I did not tell my mother we were going as she would have stopped me. We got chased down a road near the ground by a bunch of Man U fans who wanted our scarfs. I can't remember the score.

Â