Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

Incredibly, my first game was Villa vs Chelsea at Wembley in the semi final in 2010. Someone I knew dropped out due to work and I managed to get their ticket. First Villa game, first time at Wembley too, first time I've ever been to a match with my dad...

First game at VP was the Rapid Vienna game under the lights one Thursday night, again in 2010. The one that knocked us out, but still had a great night. Also missed the last train to Worcester so had to get the night bus, but as we looked young and scared, the driver let us travel for 50p. 

On 05/09/2016 at 16:51, Rodders said:

sat 19 october 1996 H v Leeds United won 2-0. Can't even remember the goals, although I believe Sasa Curcic got one. I remember him being involved as it can't have been too long since we bought him from Bolton so I was excited for that. In the Doug Ellis Stand, I mostly recall my dad sheepishy not saying anything as I misheard a chant and kept calling the referee a 'flanker'.

Remember this game quite well!! Remember Ian Taylor got in during the second half but his shot was saved, then Yorke hit one in from the right hand side of the penalty area and I think Super Tommy Johnson got the other.... I remember Curcic was immense in that game. Was the only game I got to that season!!

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

03/04 at home against Fulham (brother is a Fulham supporter). We won 3-0 with goals from Juan Pablo Angel and Darius Vassell.  One of them got two but I can't remember which.

28th Dec - Vassell got the brace

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

The thing I like about this thread, apart from the obviously cracking stories about peoples first games, is that you can kind of guess how old everyone is!!

Hrrmm quite! I should have stayed away from this thread  !

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

more importantly , we should have a thread  titled

"At what Villa match did you first see Werewolf ? "

I miss the chants of " We've got a werewolf , We've got a werewolf , You don't , you don't "

Anyone remember the seal from the front of the Holte. Used to clap like a seal and people started to take notice,  then there would be hundreds of people making noises like a seal until he obliged with his seal clap.  Just realised seal clap sounds like something of marine STD. 

On 05/09/2016 at 15:57, rodders0223 said:

Luton. We won 3-0. Dion got a brace. I doubt anybody remembers but me. £5-£10 concessions. Those were the days.

Here is a bit of Retro BBC for those of a certain generation. Those were also the days. Bring back 606.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2281381.stm

Ah,  those were the days when Frank Worthington sponsored the league cup! 

05/04/1980 Aston Villa 3-2 Nottingham Forest 

Took by my dad sat in the Upper Trinity as a 6 year old.  Had to look the score up as I remember very little other than people banging their wooden chairs! Think Forest played in Yellow!?  

As a nipper we won The League the following season then the European Cup. Thought that was the norm!!

Started going with my mates in the Lower Holte when we were in Div 2 in 87/88.  

That's when I really got into it and would wag school for midweek away games on occasions and we always lost! Did not care though as it was fun going to far flung places!

Excited about this season as it reminds me of my youth!  Bring back standing!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

December 12th 1959 - Cardiff came visiting ( and lost 2-0 - though they were promoted with us.)

The last season that Villa had 3 players who all reached 20 goals in the League, I'm sure

Dad took 10-yr-old me down the front of the old Witton End where I could peer through the old white railings at my soon to be heroes - and be slightly frightened each time the ball came my way. Pity he waited until that date - I missed the 11-1 against Charlton.

Was Gerry Hitchins playing that day?

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was a Dublin header if you're correct it was the March 2002 Arsenal game.

Indeed it was - just looked it up. We missed the penalty so that's where my confusion comes from. Still don't remember seeing the goal though - might have been from a corner perhaps so people were already standing up?

Edited by Mantis

My first game was epic:

Almost 24 years ago, Deano's home debut, the amazing team we had but the game will always be remembered for what is arguably the most famous missed open goal in English league football.  Step forwards Ronnie Rosenthal. 

• Like 2

In th old days on the Holte, i think there was only one kids turnstile ....in Witton lane.

I used to lose my dad quite regularly as he had to wait longer to get in....that used to really spook me. 

6 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

The thing I like about this thread, apart from the obviously cracking stories about peoples first games, is that you can kind of guess how old everyone is!!

I remember the floodlights being fitted......just joking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

My first game was epic:

Almost 24 years ago, Deano's home debut, the amazing team we had but the game will always be remembered for what is arguably the most famous missed open goal in English league football.  Step forwards Ronnie Rosenthal. 

I loved that kit. It's also one of the only times I ever got to laud it over all the glory hunting Liverpool supporters in school. And for us 70's kids they're EVERYWHERE!! This game is still talked about between me n my friends. They still hold a grudge against Souness for selling us Staunton, Houghton and Deano :)

On 06/09/2016 at 23:37, The_Rev said:

My first game was epic:

Looking back you can see clearly the writing was on the wall for Liverpool. . They had been so dominant for so long you just never expected to ever beat them.  Even worse than Man U have been for us in recent years. 

Then suddenly they have been without a title for a couple of years and are taking money from the likes of us for players of the quality of Staunton,  Houghton and Dean Saunders whilst they have Ronnie Rosenthal up front. And we are playing them off the park. 

The messed up the advent of the Premier League big time the polar opposite to Man U who got it so right. 

Edited by sidcow

Â