Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

From the Xia thread........

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I don't know if there is a thread for 'your first Villa match' but it would be a good read. 

So if there's one already merge it mods :) but I couldn't find one

Mine was sometime in the 80's away at Maine Road. Villa won 2-2 ;)
Can't remember much else to be fair, not even the scorers now lol. I'm going to search the internet for answers!! I do remember being in awe at the sheer awesomeness of it all.

EDIT: I'm sure City had 2 goals disallowed that day aswell.

Edited by VILLAMARV
memories
  • Like 1

4 April 1987 at home to Manchester City.  0-0. No doubt a dire game but I didn't care and can remember bits like Paul Birch and Mark Walters just running at defenders.  I wanted to be them.  I loved it, was hooked and wanted more.   Dad got me my first scalf and a badge off those men with badge boards outside the ground.  

15th August 1998 Everton away. 0-0. 

John Collins missed a penalty - saved by Mark Bosnich. 

I remember watching all of the players getting off the coach heading into the Stadium. Bosnich and Gary Charles first off. Dwight Yorke last off and going to Manure.  

• Like 1

Against Spurs around 98, I think it was Dion Dublins debut, he scored a couple and we won :D 3-2 or 4-2. I sat lower trinity and Just remember feeling so small in this great big stadium full of noise.

• Like 1

Wasn't born in Birmingham, or England for that matter, so I am not a pureblood. However, Villa has been my only club for the past 20 or so years in which I have been loving football. My first Villa game at Villa Park is second on my bucket list, after marrying my girlfriend of seven years.

• Like 4

It was 29th March 1986 apparently :) Hodge and Stainrod were the scorers. I was in the City end as my Auntie gave up her ST for my Uncle to take me. Billy McNeil was their manager. Turner was still here. McNab and Wilson equalised at the end for them. Just I'm sure they had 2 goals disallowed. seems pre premier league stats are a bit hard to come by in a simple internet search. Anyone else in the 20,000 odd that day remember?

EDIT:

some stats place

3 goals in the 90th minute! Bet 9 year old me thought it was always like that lol.

Also, now I've sat and thought about it I have quite vivid memories of the supporters bar at Maine Road where my aunt and uncle met up at full time. I remember how they all said they liked the Villa, and Forest, mainly coz we'd won the European cup and weren't Utd or Liverpool :) Also there was genuine sympathy towards Gary Shaw being robbed of a great career.

Edited by VILLAMARV

1962 v Chelsea  we lost 6-2 then the FA cup Qtr final v Carlton I think and we won! Even though we lost I fell in Love with the villa its in my blood and I was chosen. In those  days we would go to villa at home then the baggies away but villa was and is always in my veins. 

Edited by nazvfc

27 minutes ago, NashVillan said:

James, go ahead and start following the Villa. You know you want to. Why else would you spend so much time here?:P

haha I'll certainly be keeping an eye on Villa now, mostly to see how Kodjia does, but also to see how close you get to catching us :P

• Like 3

Boxing day 1989. 

My next door neighbour knocked the door, he had tickets to take his 3 kids to the match, 1 was ill overnight so he asked My Mom if i wanted to go. 

We beat Man UTD  3-0. 

The strange thing is, my Dad was an Albion fan, but because we were quite poor he couldnt afford to go to games. If we were a bit better off my first game may very well have been at the Baggies. 

Â