Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

1975 Chester City away, League Cup Semi Final 2-2.  Chester had already beaten Leeds (champions of England) and Newcastle on their way to the meeting with Villa.  Ok I was 6 and lived in Chester but will remember i think Ray Graydon running behind the goal after scoring, the first time that Chester had conceded more than one at home that season.  41 years ago, sheesh kebab. We have done a lot since then.

• Like 1

Mine was in the early 80's, when we beat Watford at Villa Park. I think the score was 3 or 4 nil to Villa. I think it was 1982/3 and remember Tony Morley charging down the wing and the roar of the crowd. I was instantly hooked.

It must have been after the European Cup win, but before the team were disbanded as I remember Rimmer in goal, Mortimer, Cowans, Bremner in midfield and Shaw and Withe upfront. Maybe not all in that game, but during my first few games that season.

August 1985, sometime around my 8th birthday, held the mighty Liverpool (they did used to be good) to a 2-2 draw think Rush missed a penalty too, and may have been Tony Daleys debut, or if not he was 17 and very much an exciting prospect, I just remember never seeing anyone run so fast! 

My first game was Swindon Town at Villa Park, 1994. I was 13 at the time and had never been to a football match. I remember being hugely impressed by the stature of the stadium. I sat in the old Trinity, not far from the players tunnel. We won 5-0 with Deano getting a hat-trick. This experience turned me from being a casual supporter to an obsessed fan. 

Sadly though, I didn't get to go again until March 1996. I probably remember more about that game. 4-2 against QPR. I managed to go a lot more regularly during and after 1996, growing up and getting a job made it easier. 

It's 1976/77 season. I think it's either 5-2 at home to Ipswich or 5-1 at home to Arsenal.

I was only 4/5 at the time and I remember it being an evening game and my grandad trying to leave before the end but something happening that meant we had to go back in and we'd missed two/three goals.

All of that may be incorrect (as I was so young). Any older bods who remembered the games and knew of any details would be fondly received.

My first game.. I remember it being before the semi with Tranmere Rovers, I was 6 and Dean Saunders was my hero. My dad and older brother propping me up on the claret railings in the holte, i can still picture it now, I had never been amongst a crowd of that many people before and the smell of ciggerettes wafting across me. Obviously Swindon were terrible all season, but I didn't know that as a 6yr old, and seeing my heroes trounce another team 5-0 was magical. to top it off deano got a hat-trick.. and so the obsession began. I also remember a german lad by the name of Stefan beinlich coming on as a substitute. I can also say 'I was there when froggy scored!' p.s, the white shorts and socks was a bit of class! loved that kit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

My first game.. I remember it being before the semi with Tranmere Rovers, I was 6 and Dean Saunders was my hero. My dad and older brother propping me up on the claret railings in the holte, i can still picture it now, I had never been amongst a crowd of that many people before and the smell of ciggerettes wafting across me. Obviously Swindon were terrible all season, but I didn't know that as a 6yr old, and seeing my heroes trounce another team 5-0 was magical. to top it off deano got a hat-trick.. and so the obsession began. I also remember a german lad by the name of Stefan beinlich coming on as a substitute. I can also say 'I was there when froggy scored!' p.s, the white shorts and socks was a bit of class! loved that kit.

Snap

• Like 1

I remember going during the 86/87 relegation season, but my mind is sketchy on which team we played in my first game. I was only interested in the claret and blue shirts at the time. I've got a feeling we played Norwich, and I think we got beat. The first match I recall properly was the following season, in Division 2 against Man City. We drew 1-1, and I'm about 80% sure Kevin Gage scored our goal. 

Edited by dAVe80

24 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

Was that Neil Cox in there? Jeez. I'd forgotten about him.

it wasn't my first game, but the first i can remember

League game.... v Lincoln city and Nigel Sims broke his collar bone during the game and played on.....i think the score was 1-1....... 1st march 1960

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's 1976/77 season. I think it's either 5-2 at home to Ipswich or 5-1 at home to Arsenal.

I was only 4/5 at the time and I remember it being an evening game and my grandad trying to leave before the end but something happening that meant we had to go back in and we'd missed two/three goals.

All of that may be incorrect (as I was so young). Any older bods who remembered the games and knew of any details would be fondly received.

There was a 5-1 against Arsenal midweek, Gary Shelton scored a hattrick. I think we beat Ipswich 3 or 4 nil. Got the programme somewhere, I'll dig it out and have a look later.

My first game was a year or two before, away at Swindon. Maybe it was a 1-1 or 0-0 or maybe we lost 1-0. Think we had a goal disallowed in the first half.

• Like 1

Â