Your First Villa Match

VILLAMARV

On 03/09/2016 at 22:29, Sid4ever said:

1975 Chester City away, League Cup Semi Final 2-2.  Chester had already beaten Leeds (champions of England) and Newcastle on their way to the meeting with Villa.  Ok I was 6 and lived in Chester but will remember i think Ray Graydon running behind the goal after scoring, the first time that Chester had conceded more than one at home that season.  41 years ago, sheesh kebab. We have done a lot since then.

I was so annoyed i couldn't make it to the ground that night. It was snowing if i remember correctly. 

Sometime in 1989 against Millwall and Alan Mcinally  bagged a hat trick. 

I was hooked. Spent most of the game sitting on random people's shoulders to watch the game as they could see my dad was struggling after 20 minutes. 

Still have the program for the game in a frame! 

Great thread!

Mine is a bit of a strange one. When we bought Savo Milsosevic in the summer of '95 we agreed to play his old club (Partizan Belgrade I believe) in a friendly at VP as part of the deal. 

I remember it was a couple of weeks before the infamous 3-1 victory against Manchester United, which is remembered for Alan Hansens "you won't win nothing with kids" quote. 

Anyway, we won 3-0 if I remember correctly. My dad was really excited because a bunch of new players were on show (Southgate, Draper, Alan Wright, Milosevic etc). 

I'm pretty sure Milosevic scored. After that game I got a shirt with his name on the back and he was my hero. To this day I'm still unsure why he got such a bad rap from the press and villa fans. His scoring record wasn't all that bad and he complimented Yorke well. Not to mention the screamer in the cup final. 

It was a great day, especially because we won. I hope one day if I have a son he can be introduced to Villa with a win, because I think that played a big part in my obsession going forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam100 said:

I was at that one! 

I worked with an Everton fan who suggested we go for the first day of the new season.

We drove to Watford and got the train. 

Went to HMV and Burger King. 

Am I right in saying we had just sold Yorke and were short of forwards so we played Scimeca up front?   I didn't realise we would get Dion Dublin soon and the season would take off! 

Cheers. 

http://toffeeweb.com/season/98-99/reports/aston-villa_h.htm

This may help you re-live the occasion. Dwight Yorke actually played. Gone in the week after. I was devastated as I idolised Dwight Yorke as a kid and after McGrath left, my main two reasons for supporting Villa initially (not from Brum and have no links to Villa really), had gone. However, I had taken to Ehiogu, Barry and always liked Mark Bosnich (one of my first shirts was a Bosnich 13 Falling Shards Asics kit). Chewed a hole in the sleeve.  Still going strong today in a drawer somewhere. 

I remember sitting with the Everton fans in the nose bleed seats (top balcony). You would have went to the big HMV in Liverpool City Centre (Church Street) then I would say and the Burger King either near the McDonalds (Lord Street) or by Bold Street (both are still there but the HMV is now in Liverpool One). 

That's the one RJW !

I suppose Villa Times is a pretty obvious one I should have thought of but I didn't.

Only had to see that copy to feel it was Saturday morning (although I think it came out in the week ?) and it was time to finish reading Spiderman and get ready to get the Number 11 !

Have googled Villa Times can't see anything yet but there is an article mentioning it on the Official site which I had missed.  Cheers RJW - if you ever go up in the loft I'd love a copy or sight of one for old times sake..

11th October 1975 V Spurs. I nagged & nagged my dad to take me to the Villa & luckily he knew Dicky Dossett who played for us in the 50s. He used to get us tickets in the Trinity , top price of £5. Dad saidhe would take me to that as my first match as there wouldn't be many there , just the 40,000 dad .

• Like 1

1986... 30 years ago this very season, My old man took me to Villa Park for the first time. We beat Southampton 3-1 Alan Evans and a brace from Paul Elliott. It's the season we got relegated along with Man City and the current Champions Leicester (How times change) My old man's a Wolves fan so thinking of returning the favour when we play them next month to mark 30 years in the making :D 

Thanks Pops. 

Edited by Kingman

Blackburn at home in 1997. I was ten. It was a night game and we were in the Lower Holte. Lost 4-0. Sutton got a hat-trick.

Second game was in Stamford Bridge the following year. League Cup. I went with my uncle who was a Chelsea fan. Sat in the Shed End. Lost 4-1. Vialli got a hat-trick and John Terry made his debut.

No one made me support Villa. My dad was a Leeds fan and all my friends supported United or Liverpool. Don't ask me why I didn't jump ship.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I dont remember much of it, but it was 86/87 at home against Norwich and we lost 4-1.

That might be the one I was trying thinking of! Like yourself, my memory is hazy, but I remember us getting beat and I'm pretty sure the opposition must have been Norwich, because yellow shirts ring a bell.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

That might be the one I was trying thinking of! Like yourself, my memory is hazy, but I remember us getting beat and I'm pretty sure the opposition must have been Norwich, because yellow shirts ring a bell.

Yeah I was only a kid at the time and I had the score of 3-0 in my head, so I decided to look it up before posting!

• Like 1

Luton. We won 3-0. Dion got a brace. I doubt anybody remembers but me. £5-£10 concessions. Those were the days.

Aston Villa 3-0 Luton
_38237506_worthington_300_29.gif

Dion Dublin scored twice as Aston Villa cruised past Luton Town and into the third round of the Worthington Cup.

Villa boss Graham Taylor played his strongest team and his side dominated proceedings from start to finish.

Luton, who battled hard throughout, had the first half-chance of the game when Chris Coyne went close with a low drive following a corner from Peter Holmes.

But Villa were soon in the ascendancy and just about their first worthwhile attack produced the opening goal after nine minutes from Ulises de la Cruz.

Jlloyd Samuel crossed from the left flank and Gareth Barry turned the ball into the path of de la Cruz, who made no mistake from close range.

Villa doubled their lead after 25 minutes through Dublin, who was again preferred to Peter Crouch and Marcus Allback as Darius Vassell's strike partner.

Dublin connected with a Lee Hendrie free kick and headed home from six yards out.

Luton's hopes of staging a second half revival were effectively killed off within three minutes of the restart through a fine second goal from Dublin.

Luton substitute Ian Hillier cleared the ball out of the danger area but it quickly came back to Dublin, who controlled on his chest before sending a low volley past the despairing dive of Carl Emberson.

Dublin was causing all sorts of problems and he thought he had completed his hat-trick after 57 minutes when he scored from close range after a Hendrie shot had been parried by Emberson into his path.

But his celebrations in front of the Holte End were cut short as he was adjudged to have been marginally offside.

Villa substitute Oyvind Leonhardsen then came close to registering his first goal for the club when his far post effort hit the post after he had got on the end of a de la Cruz cross.

Here is a bit of Retro BBC for those of a certain generation. Those were also the days. Bring back 606.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2281381.stm

Edited by rodders0223

Mine was 1st April 1989. I was 10 at the time.

Villa vs Luton. Finished 2-1

My dad (RIP) didn't like football and had to beg him from age of about 6 to go down :) finally took me down for first Villa game for this match vs Luton.

Late bloomer going to games but was hooked and then started going down with my schoolmates in the 90's.

Edited by Villan4Life

0-0 at home to West Ham, March 1997.

Should've took that as a sign of what was to come for next 19 years!

Can remember next to nothing of the game apart from it was a sunny day, it didn't even make the end of season DVD highlights but apprently Frank Lampard broke his leg in that game?

Â