PieFacE

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It was their first game at home ever in the PL.

A little different. 

We were playing at a packed VP and I expected a better performance and result. 

But this thread is about arsenal not Dean Smith so let's not go way off topic here. 

Not off topic at all, you just seem to be giving Arteta a lot more benefit of the doubt than Smith who lost far more players but still got a better result than Arteta.  Not consistent!  If had been Smith with zero points, Same circumstances, same teams you’d be raising the roof for him to be sacked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not off topic at all, you just seem to be giving Arteta a lot more benefit of the doubt than Smith who lost far more players but still got a better result than Arteta.  Not consistent!  If had been Smith with zero points, Same circumstances, same teams you’d be raising the roof for him to be sacked.

Yes it is off topic. You are discussing me and Dean Smith. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yes it is off topic. You are discussing me and Dean Smith. 

No I’m discussing your differing assessment of Arteta to your usual standards.  

Just wondering why Arteta gets the benefit of the doubt over your usual view.  

Do you think he should get the benefit of the doubt because he’s a good coach or some other factor?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

yeah but Smith spent 300 million blah blah and Arteta is a budget manager you know. Its not easy spending the most money in Europe

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah but Smith spent 300 million blah blah and Arteta is a budget manager you know. Its not easy spending the most money in Europe

His 150m spend is shocking, the lack of value or real quality for that expense is incredible.

7E181433-4216-40E3-B6A4-37AAB4AADED3.jpeg
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arsenal/transfers/verein/11

Edited by nick76

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

His 150m spend is shocking, the lack of value or real quality for that expense is incredible.

7E181433-4216-40E3-B6A4-37AAB4AADED3.jpeg

Lol, how can you say that? Do you have Crystal Ball? All these players are under 24. We will only find out their real value in few years.

We spent £150m two years ago and only after 12 months some of these players staeted to deliver value. Some are yet to deliver it.

9 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Lol, how can you say that? Do you have Crystal Ball? All these players are under 24. We will only find out their real value in few years.

We spent £150m two years ago and only after 12 months some of these players staeted to deliver value. Some are yet to deliver it.

Easy, I don’t think it’s value for money! Maybe I’ll be proved wrong but if I compare those to Bailey, Ings and Buendia for 90-95m, i think at this point we look like we have the better deal by some distance.  

Hard to currently say White and Ramsdale for 78m will ever be value for money especially when we got Martinez and Mings in recent years for half that value. 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Because it's Arsenal, not Villa!  Let's all laugh at how shambolic they are right now!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Do you think he should get the benefit of the doubt because he’s a good coach or some other factor?

I'm not giving him a free pass. 

But Chelsea and Man City are games I expected them to lose.  Brentford one was a poor one I will agree. 

They have Norwich and Burnley next which should be 6 points for them. If they don't Arteta would be in big, big trouble. 

I’m just going to wait and see how the season plays out before I start writing Arsenal off. They weren’t great last season but still finished above us, even though we beat them twice. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll thoroughly enjoy the disaster unfold on Amazon Prime, should the season really go tits up. I just think it’s too soon to judge yet. 

I don't automatically think White is a bad signing. Seems overpriced now but if they get 8-10 years out of him, then its not too bad. 

People thought we massively overpaid for Mings a couple of years back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I don't automatically think White is a bad signing. Seems overpriced now but if they get 8-10 years out of him, then its not too bad. 

I definitely dont think White is a bad signing, just think he's very overpriced even in todays market and I'm not convinced he's the type of defender Arsenal need but he's young and has some great attributes but I'm not convinced it is the right move for either party or at that value.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He's replaced Luiz 

Definitely a better footballer and even with the big jump in pay from Brighton he'll be on less per week than Luiz was 

I think he's OK, he's a CB for a mid table team that arsenal are, he's not a CB for what they used to be or want to be but surely they can't still believe that they're in that pack despite the ESL stuff, he's not the leading CB for a top 4 chasing team

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's replaced Luiz 

Definitely a better footballer and even with the big jump in pay from Brighton he'll be on less per week than Luiz was 

I think he's OK, he's a CB for a mid table team that arsenal are, he's not a CB for what they used to be or want to be but surely they can't still believe that they're in that pack despite the ESL stuff, he's not the leading CB for a top 4 chasing team

might be a better defender but I doubt he is a better footballer. Luiz passing was underrated

Arsenal's issue is that they never buy the player(s) that they need. They'll spend good money, decent wages, and the player will often have a degree of potential...but will just be the  wrong purchase.

Take a look at the defence and goalkeeper. In no way would White, Ramsdale, and the Japenese right back rectify their problems and make them less frail defensively. 

There seems to be no diagnosis of the mentality of a player, the fit for the team, or their adaptability to succeed in England...they just seem to consider the footballing skill and not much else.

It's why I've been so impressed with our structured business in the transfer market since NSWE came in. It's so joined up and thorough that it's hard to argue against any signing we've made recently.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

When you start buying footballers based on the fact they are young you're done as a football club.

Aren't Villa doing that to some extent?     It's a good strategy as long as you supplement with experience as well.

On 03/09/2021 at 18:36, nick76 said:

So true that nick...

On 03/09/2021 at 18:47, nick76 said:

Again I'd have to agree here..

Â