PieFacE

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think they could afford him on or off the pitch. I could think of at least 6 high salary players he would immediately bin to the bomb squad including Xhaka, Aubameyang and Lacazette

Yeah, I'm not sure I believe the story to be honest. If they've been in touch with him, and got some sort of arrangement, then they should have sacked Arteta already, because they would have no faith in him.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You could say that about Steve Bruce too.

His 2 first 2 season was ok.

3rd season poor and had a period, and got rightfully sacked as a result. Such short termism though.

This is modern football for you. It's a result business.

Well this is the thing - Bruce said on the day he was appointed in an interview with BBC football focus, that he knew what would happen if he didn't get Villa up within those 2 years. He didn't get us up. He didn't meet the objectives set for those 2 years and he didn't show any sign of improvement (quite the opposite) in the third season.

So it's one thing to sack a manager after a longer period, where the objectives set have not been met, but another to sack one after 3 games of the season where significant players are missing due to exceptional circumstances (Covid, weird FIFA break etc). And this is the dilemma Arsenal and others have, where the club in question has been hampered by events.

Arteta will have been set aims for Arsenal, and he may not meet/have met them in the year or so he's been there and he may be on shakey ground, but the flip side is they finished last season on a really good run and this one have had the covid troubles, so it's not going to be easy for the board there to sack him so soon in this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well this is the thing - Bruce said on the day he was appointed in an interview with BBC football focus, that he knew what would happen if he didn't get Villa up within those 2 years. He didn't get us up. He didn't meet the objectives set for those 2 years and he didn't show any sign of improvement (quite the opposite) in the third season.

So it's one thing to sack a manager after a longer period, where the objectives set have not been met, but another to sack one after 3 games of the season where significant players are missing due to exceptional circumstances (Covid, weird FIFA break etc). And this is the dilemma Arsenal and others have, where the club in question has been hampered by events.

Arteta will have been set aims for Arsenal, and he may not meet/have met them in the year or so he's been there and he may be on shakey ground, but the flip side is they finished last season on a really good run and this one have had the covid troubles, so it's not going to be easy for the board there to sack him so soon in this season.

Being hit by Covid isn't exclusive to Arsenal and Aston Villa you just got to get on with it.

There's only so long you can keep banging on the not fully fit squad drum before fans will start demanding results.

It's why I mentioned Klopp earlier. Thought it was an exceptional achievement that he still managed to find a way to get results, and finishing 3rd. Only 5 points off 2nd with virtually all his senior Centre backs being out for most of the season.

This is what the greatest managers do. Despite difficult circumstances they keep finding solutions.

That young squad, building for the future non sense won't be valid for Arteta for much longer. He needs to find a way to get results now. Not in 3 years.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this a joke?

Sacking Bruce was the exact opposite of short termism

The profile of manager wasn't the point in case you missed it.

Managers can't rest on their laurels. You always have to perform according to the board's expectations or you're gone.

Even Ranieri got sacked and rightfully so imo despite winning the league the year before. Been tons of examples of that in recent years.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

The profile of manager wasn't the point in case you missed it.

Managers can't rest on their laurels. You always have to perform according to the board's expectations or you're gone.

Even Ranieri got sacked and rightfully so imo despite winning the league the year before. Been tons of examples of that in recent years.

I don't understand your point.

You said sacking Bruce was short termism. What do you mean by that?

Sacking a manager who MIGHT be able to get us up despite his obvious limitations and replacing him with an up and coming manager with a much higher ceiling but who might take longer to get us there (didn't turn out that way but still) is, like I said, the exact opposite of short termism.

It's focusing on the long term future of the club instead of looking for short term wins at the cost of our future, which is what bruce offered us

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't understand your point.

You said sacking Bruce was short termism. What do you mean by that?

Sacking a manager who MIGHT be able to get us up despite his obvious limitations and replacing him with an up and coming manager with a much higher ceiling but who might take longer to get us there (didn't turn out that way but still) is, like I said, the exact opposite of short termism.

It's focusing on the long term future of the club instead of looking for short term wins at the cost of our future, which is what bruce offered us

No. 

I was speaking on a general note. Sacking a manager once he has a bad period being seen as short termism. Pretty much what happened to Bruce tbf. 1 season stabilized us. 2nd season play off final. 3rd season had a poor couple of months, was sacked.

But that's just reality of modern football.

Owners want to see a clear progression and if the team is regressing, changing the manager often times is the easiest and quickest fix in the eyes of owners.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No. 

I was speaking on a general note. Sacking a manager once he has a bad period being seen as short termism. Pretty much what happened to Bruce tbf. 1 season stabilized us. 2nd season play off final. 3rd season had a poor couple of months, was sacked.

But that's just reality of modern football.

Owners want to see a clear progression and if the team is regressing, changing the manager often times is the easiest and quickest fix in the eyes of owners.

Ok I understand your point. But Bruce is an absolutely terrible example of your point. 

It's the complete opposite of what you're getting at.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Supposedly they've been in touch with Antonio Conte and he's waiting in the wings.

Problem i think they have is I'm not sure he'd want to touch that mess and oh boy is it a mess at the moment.

I think a downgrade of the type of usually manager or Coach they pull in will happen.

I feel that they would pull in big sam or Bruce if they were in so much trouble just to survive.

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Rumours going that Conte is set to replace Arteta 

I dont know, all I know is Arsenal mania is mad with fans comparing Arteta to Fergie 🤣

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Arsenal and Norway midfielder Martin Odegaard, 22, says the club's ambition is to win the Championship within the next two seasons. (Mirror).

😂

FTFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Arsenal and Norway midfielder Martin Odegaard, 22, says the club's ambition is to win the Champions League within the next two seasons. (Mirror).

😂

Well he's overrating his team just as bad as everyone has himself. I know he is still a young guy, but so far hasn't even come close to meeting the expectations  a ton of people had for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Well he's overrating his team just as bad as everyone has himself. I know he is still a young guy, but so far hasn't even come close to meeting the expectations  a ton of people had for him.

His underlying stats are very good though. I think he'll have a similar development to what Grealish did at about 24/25 where he'll increase end product and suddenly look a much better player. 

• Like 1

Â