Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I love that he is greedy tbh. He's our difference maker. Without him we are nothing.

hmm, no. 

If he passed and kept it simple and then occasionally did the unexpected, he'd be a real asset, but because he tries to do too much every time he has the ball almost, he becomes easier to defend against. 

And in some cases, he doesn't pass, even though there is almost a certain goal to be scored if he did. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

hmm, no. 

If he passed and kept it simple and then occasionally did the unexpected, he'd be a real asset, but because he tries to do too much every time he has the ball almost, he becomes easier to defend against. 

And in some cases, he doesn't pass, even though there is almost a certain goal to be scored if he did. 

Of course he can improve and I get frustrated with him too but since he has been back we look a different team. He saved us from being relegated last year and he will be key if we can go up this year. Just look at the second goal without his great touch and technique the ball wouldn't been released for Whelan to pass to Onomah. He adds so much to our game. He can hold the ball up like Davis but he can occupy 2 or 3 players on the floor as well. We all know he is a greedy **** and he should pass more but people focus too much on the negatives. The guy is our best player by far.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We won without him on Saturday tbf, he did very little positive and was largely anonymous. 

He set up the goal mate.

Seriously, in the build up to that goal Johnstone cleared the ball aimlessly and Kodjia took down the ball calmly and laid it off to help set the attack up. Anyone else would be trying to head that on or not controlling it. Granted it's not a massive contribution but it was key. He has done that since he has been back. He was instrumental in both goals against Notts Forest and scored the winner against Bolton. He's only been back for a handful of games since a very serious injury. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

When Kodjia hasn't started this season Played 7, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 2,  Pts 7.  1 point per game

When Kodjia has started this season Played 6, Won 5, Drawn 0, Lost 1,  Pts 15.  2.5 points per game

Well that say's it all really. No case to answer. Next

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

When Kodjia hasn't started this season Played 7, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 2,  Pts 7.  1 point per game

When Kodjia has started this season Played 6, Won 5, Drawn 0, Lost 1,  Pts 15.  2.5 points per game

Man like BOF.

What Jokanovic said

“The second goal that they scored came from a long ball which they controlled and many, many players could have scored the goal. We didn’t finish our chances and score the goal.

“They’re a physical, strong team, they’re fast. We didn’t find the quality to have an answer for [Jonathan] Kodjia and all the long balls he controlled.

“He always pushed us and he was the winner in this kind of situation. This is another situation that we didn’t control well enough, but more important is that we weren’t clinical in either box.”

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

Wow. 

Stay fit, Kodj.

Was infuriating for the most part on Saturday, for me. The amount of times he passed up a simple layoff (twice to Snodgrass in good positions as well) for a dribble into a blind alley was a joke, and amateurish tbh. If it wasn't Blues up next I'd be dropping him for Davis to teach him a lesson. He is a match-winner however, and his pros normally far outweigh his cons, but Saturday he was a joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Of course he can improve and I get frustrated with him too but since he has been back we look a different team. He saved us from being relegated last year and he will be key if we can go up this year. Just look at the second goal without his great touch and technique the ball wouldn't been released for Whelan to pass to Onomah. He adds so much to our game. He can hold the ball up like Davis but he can occupy 2 or 3 players on the floor as well. We all know he is a greedy **** and he should pass more but people focus too much on the negatives. The guy is our best player by far.

I don't think he saved us from being relegated last year - but he's certainly a key player and probably our most important.

He does, however, need to pass the ball better on occasions.  He seemed to have gotten better at it generally but, against Fulham in the first half, he was incredibly frustrating.  The problem with it is that defenders know what to do as well so it kills our attack. Can't remember who was bombing down the right (Onomah?) but we broke at one point with Kodjia and <player down the right> was completely free in space.  Fulham had maybe 3 or 4 players back and they all went straight to Kodjia - they knew he wasn't passing, and he didn't.  Another bit of skill down the right sums Kodjia up, for me.  Did brilliantly to make the run and had Snodgrass perfectly positioned behind him to cross the ball.  Didn't pass, skipped past a defender brilliantly but chance got snuffed out.

He's a great talent and I love watching him overall but he needs to pass more.  I guess, on the plus side, if he passed more he'd be a better player and probably wouldn't be at Villa, so...

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think he saved us from being relegated last year - but he's certainly a key player and probably our most important.

He does, however, need to pass the ball better on occasions.  He seemed to have gotten better at it generally but, against Fulham in the first half, he was incredibly frustrating.  The problem with it is that defenders know what to do as well so it kills our attack. Can't remember who was bombing down the right (Onomah?) but we broke at one point with Kodjia and <player down the right> was completely free in space.  Fulham had maybe 3 or 4 players back and they all went straight to Kodjia - they knew he wasn't passing, and he didn't.  Another bit of skill down the right sums Kodjia up, for me.  Did brilliantly to make the run and had Snodgrass perfectly positioned behind him to cross the ball.  Didn't pass, skipped past a defender brilliantly but chance got snuffed out.

He's a great talent and I love watching him overall but he needs to pass more.  I guess, on the plus side, if he passed more he'd be a better player and probably wouldn't be at Villa, so...

That's probably the key point in all of this. The good thing for us is that is something that can be taught and picked up. 

Kodgia and Adomah are the only two players we have that have the skill and creativity to do anything exciting. 

Kodgia wasn't amazing on Saturday, but the difference in our attacking play since he came back has been stark. He is still by far our best player, and I am sure that we will see him get fitter and stronger and score more goals, but strikers are greedy, and I hope he stays that way. Assists and opening up play for others just aren't in every strikers game.

According to Transfermarkt.com Harry Kane has one assist in 9 Premier League Games (794 mins), Jonathon Kodgia has 2 assists in 7 Championship Games (453 mins)

Kodgia might not be at Kane's level, but he is just as important for us 

• Like 1

Â