Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Sorry but, I don't get this criticism of Kodjia. The guy is fantastic and works his socks off mostly ploughing a lone furrow up front and creating his own chances/goals. Today, he almost scored out of nothing and yet he gets criticised for his play?

We need to appreciate him more because he is the most skilful forward I've seen since Benteke and is borderline Dwight Yorke.

You are right, he's got a lot of skill and is a very, very capable player and one who has the ability to play in the Prem. 

That said, until he realises it's a team game and he'd actually be a better player if he passed and moved more, he will frustrate people. He holds on for too long, far too often and is almost belligerent in his refusal to pass. 

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

You are right, he's got a lot of skill and is a very, very capable player and one who has the ability to play in the Prem. 

That said, until he realises it's a team game and he'd actually be a better player if he passed and moved more, he will frustrate people. He holds on for too long, far too often and is almost belligerent in his refusal to pass. 

He did hold on to it more than he should but, so did Onomah. However, where Onomah looked impotent and should have been taken off, Kodjia ran his heart out and did try to create goalscoring opportunities.

25 minutes ago, villarocker said:

He did hold on to it more than he should but, so did Onomah. However, where Onomah looked impotent and should have been taken off, Kodjia ran his heart out and did try to create goalscoring opportunities.

Totally agree, Onomah should have been hooked after an hour at the absolute latest. 

My point about JK isn't specific to today, it's every time he plays. His inability to make good decisions on the ball is stopping him from becoming the player he could be. I don't mind strikers being selfish in/around the box, but 50 yards from goal? Nah mate, pass the fecking thing and move into space. 

• Like 3

He attempted 16 passes, same as Adomah and more than Snodgrass but I doubt we'd say those two were greedy and selfish today. 

I think he makes the wrong decision but I don't think he's as greedy and unaware as it's made out at times.

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

Looks like Bruce will be forced into that, so that’s good.

Ironically, he is usually forced into the line ups/subs which coincide with our best results.

NO Briney Ear I didn't say ALWAYS. - Preemptive response. lol 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villarocker said:

JK's influence is more than people think. Are people seriously doubting the fans t we'd have faced a relegation battle withouthis goals last season? 

No one is questioning that.

I never get how people jump from the obvious criticism straight to THAT.

You are bypassing the point, like our team bypasses midfield ffs.

We possibly could have scored more goals AND won more games, if at times he made the most blaringly obvious passes.

The fact that we would have been in a relegation battle without his goals also says alot more about the team/manager than his overall contribution IMO.

I've never seen ANYONE on here claim he is a shit player, they are just pointing out a MAJOR deficiency in his game which has cost and could cost us dear in future.

The Manager, and player himself have even acknowledged the deficiency.

• Like 2

I think his struggle in form is 1 part return from injury and 1 part being earmarked as a main goal threat now by other teams and marked accordingly.

Its the classic difficult second season where you find out how good a player really is, the jury is out at the minute and hes going to have to have a good 2nd half of the season to silence the doubters.

Edited by AVFCDAN

I think hes trying too hard.. trying to be the one man army he was last year.

JK.. chill man.... we have a team this year thats not dependent on you.. just do your job now. No need to carry us anymore. 

• Like 2

Still rate Jimmy but I’m pulling my hair out with him sometimes. The decision not to square it to Adomah the other week (you know the one) still makes me wince.

There’s a kid in my lad’s team who has exactly the same attribute. No lack of skill but rarely lays the ball off. The coaches are trying but it looks very difficult to train out, nature of the beast and all that. And that’s a young kid - can’t imagine the task in a practically fully developed player. 

Hoping to see a run of Davis and Hogan TBH, if only to get it out of my system and prove it does or doesn’t work.

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He attempted 16 passes, same as Adomah and more than Snodgrass but I doubt we'd say those two were greedy and selfish today. 

I think he makes the wrong decision but I don't think he's as greedy and unaware as it's made out at times.

I’m fairly sure most of those passes were backward down the line after he tried to hold the ball up and turn the defender but realised he couldn’t.

Great player, but first instinct is to do everything himself. 

• Like 1

When Kodjia plays we almost always have a chance of a goal. Davis is a good player to lead the line, rough up the defenders and bring others into play but, is he a real goal threat? Hogan might play off him as suggested but I am not so sure about that working or the real will of Bruce to play a 4-4-2 formation that would be needed to give that a chance of working. Even then, Hogan isn't one for creating something out of nothing, like Kodjia does.

I think that, if JK is out for 5 or 6 games, we will be wishing him back far quicker than some people realise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villarocker said:

When Kodjia plays we almost always have a chance of a goal. Davis is a good player to lead the line, rough up the defenders and bring others into play but, is he a real goal threat? Hogan might play off him as suggested but I am not so sure about that working or the real will of Bruce to play a 4-4-2 formation that would be needed to give that a chance of working. Even then, Hogan isn't one for creating something out of nothing, like Kodjia does.

I think that, if JK is out for 5 or 6 games, we will be wishing him back far quicker than some people realise.

I am a sucker for a player who is comfortable with the ball and short tempered when they are not......I see all his bits of drawbacks......but always glad when he is playing.

Not come back from injury very well Imo and hear we go again.....but one mans setback is another mans opportunity.

but yeah I like Kodj too, despite his frustrations.

Â