Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

25 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I don't expect players to play 100% perfect games, I expect them to make the right decision when it's clearly the right thing to do. 

Could you imagine if that happened in a play-off game and we ended up losing? "Eh it's ok cut him some slack." Bollocks.

Different time, different context. 

28 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I don't expect players to play 100% perfect games, I expect them to make the right decision when it's clearly the right thing to do. 

Could you imagine if that happened in a play-off game and we ended up losing? "Eh it's ok cut him some slack." Bollocks.

It wasn't a play off game, though was it? It was a game against Bolton, in which he scored the only goal and the winner.

27 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

It wasn't a play off game, though was it? It was a game against Bolton, in which he scored the only goal and the winner.

'I'm angry because in a hypothetical scenario it was a big problem' 

Gotta love it. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Gotta love it. 

It was a big problem in the context of the moment itself.  

Adding hypothetical situations isn't great for an argument, but I can see where he was coming from.  

He should absolutely have squared the ball, no ifs, buts or maybes. 

• Like 2

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Adding hypothetical situations isn't great for an argument, but I can see where he was coming from.  

The point is that it wasn't a big problem, as he scored literally by his own doing a minute later. No ifs, buts or maybes.

It's only a big problem if you apply it to a hypothetical situation int he future....but then again hypothetically he may just learn to square to his team-mate.

The point is, it is ridiculous to slate a good player, playing well, and won us the game.

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You have to look at the bigger picture though, an isolated incident doesn't really have context. 

Of course I agree that he should have squared it but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter and I'd be very surprised if that situation happened again given the flak he took for it. 

3 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

The point is that it wasn't a big problem, as he scored literally by his own doing a minute later. No ifs, buts or maybes.

It's only a big problem if you apply it to a hypothetical situation int he future....but then again hypothetically he may just learn to square to his team-mate.

The point is, it is ridiculous to slate a good player, playing well, and won us the game.

Y'see, using hindsight is just as useful as being hypothetical :) 

At the time, in real time, it was a huge mistake.  In hindsight, let's hope he squares it next time, like he should have at the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You should try your hand at writing an American coming of age movie with that writing! :lol: 

"no dude, YOU can be ANYTHING you want, it's written in the stars, bro"

"thanks Trey, you're my bro, bro"

"I got your back bro"

"thanks Trey, you got my back bro"

"that's what I just said bro"

"Bro, I know you'll always be there for me"

"That's so true bro" 

"Thanks bro, it means a lot bro"

"no problem bro"

"thanks bro"

"hey bro, fancy grabbing a starbucks?"

"sure bro"

*The sound of flip flops walking into the sunset* 

clearing in the woods :P

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Gotta love it. 

These posts are insinuating that this is a totally isolated event.

How many times has he done the exact same in the past?

Granted, he usually redeems himself, but he has also cost us, and other players also!

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Granted, he usually redeems himself, but he has also cost us, and other players also!

Equally, you could argue that you are isolating the mistakes without taking into fact his goal scoring record.

Top strikers are selfish, all of them..they need to be to have the instinct to shoot without thinking, which you have to do against high level keepers.

How many games has he won us by being "selfish" vs how many has lost us due to that reason? 

Edited by carewjust4u

It is definitely an issue.

...but then we are 1/5th the team we are with him out the side.

So you have to bite your tongue and take the bad with the good I suppose. It used to frustrate me greatly, especially when he routinely ignored RMC...but given how bad we have proven to be during his spell at the AFCON and during his rehabilitation, I am just pleased to have him back in the side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Spot on JV. No one would berate the guy for making a mistake, the issue is that he will not pass the ball. 

He really winds me up to fair. For all the positives its the basics that let him down. The inability to pass to a team mate and his total ignorance of the offside rule is the sort of stuff you see at under 12 level. 

I'm hoping someon like Terry kicks his arse behind the scenes, but last season no one had the bollocks to speak to him, and it shows. 

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

Equally, you could argue that you are isolating the mistakes without taking into fact his goal scoring record.

Top strikers are selfish, all of them..they need to be to have the instinct to shoot without thinking, which you have to do against high level keepers.

How many games has he won us by being "selfish" vs how many has lost us due to that reason? 

Top strikers maybe selfish, but not to the extent that they will simply not pass the ball, thats why Kodjia is playing in the championship at 27. He will never be a top striker. 

I understand the arguments and feelings of those who are critical and they are fair enough. (edit - except he isn’t lazy lol !)

But for me the guy can pretty much do what he likes.

With him we have a good record under Bruce. Without him we have an awful one.

With him we might get promoted, without him I doubt it.

And whilst improvements in his awareness might not affect his overall contribution I wouldn’t want to risk it.

Id leave well alone.

Edited by terrytini
See post

I wouldn't, I'd tell him that when an obvious square ball for a tap in is on, regardless of who it's against, what he's done, what he can do and can't do - just square the **** ball.

I'm finding it unbelievable that anyone is justifying it.  Has he done unpredictable things to score before? Yes, undoubtedly.

But he's got to square that ball 100% of the time. The shot wasn't on because the goalkeeper was out to him. If he was on his own, then fair enough, but as he had a simple lay off, he should have done it.

• Like 4

I think those sort of judgement errors are what makes Kodjia a great Championship player but not able to make the leap to PL. He has many good attributes but time and time again the makes poor decisions. 

He's not perfect, but I still love him, and in my opinion even with his flaws I'd rather have him in the side than against us. Best player last season, and I think he will be again once he gets in his stride.

9 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Sorry mate, you're right. We should lambaste players that don't play a 100% perfect games with 100% correct consistent decision making. Especially one's coming back from a horrendous injury, who's been playing very well and transformed the side, and wants to build some goal-scoring confidence.

Ridiculous.

What a coincidence!  Your last word is the same as my reaction to your post.  Making 100% correct decisions and not making 100% wrong, team-hindering, utterly selfish decisions are two very different standards

• Like 1

Â