Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

7 hours ago, dn1982 said:

He'll get better as he gets fitter. Missing preseason does hamper players especially as we rushed him back. Let's hope he's saved up his best for next week. 

Meaning he will be able to not pass to an open team mate, even quicker.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

What Jokanovic said

“The second goal that they scored came from a long ball which they controlled and many, many players could have scored the goal. We didn’t finish our chances and score the goal.

“They’re a physical, strong team, they’re fast. We didn’t find the quality to have an answer for [Jonathan] Kodjia and all the long balls he controlled.

“He always pushed us and he was the winner in this kind of situation. This is another situation that we didn’t control well enough, but more important is that we weren’t clinical in either box.”

Excellent quote, thanks for that.

Sums up the identity of this team perfectly, whether people are happy about it or not. 

Leave him be and let him do what he does.  The stats from Bruces entire time here show that basically when he plays we probably Win and when he doesn't we probably don't.  Now under a different Manager with a different approach that might not be the case, we might develop a way of playing that doesn't need him to be as effective as he is now (or we might not of course) ........but Bruce isn't going anywhere and the way he plays I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to change anything about Kodja.  How on earth could you do that and guarantee he would be as effective - one bit might work better and all the rest work worse.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Excellent quote, thanks for that.

Sums up the identity of this team perfectly, whether people are happy about it or not. 

I actually disagree with him, that we are fast and physical.....not to " write home about" anyway.

I thought his 2 full backs showed us what fast is.

but, so what, we all have our opinions and he has his.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meaning he will be able to not pass to an open team mate, even quicker.

It's strange for a couple of games he passed the ball a bit noticeably Barnsley away when a shot was on he squared it and Elmo crossed for Davis to score then at home v Bolton he went greedy and back to his infuriating best. Is he getting fitter and thinks he can do it  all now? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I actually disagree with him, that we are fast and physical.....not to " write home about" anyway.

I thought his 2 full backs showed us what fast is.

but, so what, we all have our opinions and he has his.

Agree to an extent. For a large part of the season we lacked pace in the side. I think having Adomah, Kodjia and Onomah in the team gives us a threat on the counter. Obviously Elmo and Hutton are both pretty quick too. 

40 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Nearly scored a great goal but other than that was extremely poor, he is not doing enough right now, decision making is worse than ever, one hell of an infuriating player. 

Injury didn’t look good and could be out a while although I think we look better with Davis up front as he brings others into play more than kodjia 

Usual performance, some nice things, let down by some terrible decision making at times but nearly pulls a couple of goals out of the bag. 

Hope his injury isn't too bad, would put far too much pressure on Davis. 

Maybe worth a try on the left and stick with the 4-3-3 with Davis as the middle man. 

The usual I won't pass to my team mates performance.

he is never going to make it above championship level if he continues that. I certainly think hogan would do better in a premier league club who plays to his strengths 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The usual I won't pass to my team mates performance.

he is never going to make it above championship level if he continues that. I certainly think hogan would do better in a premier league club who plays to his strengths 

I want to see Davis and Hogan get a run together now.

• Like 1

No loss if he's out for a while, for every flash of brilliance there's 20 poor touches, lazy runs and lack of team play. I actually think he makes us worse. Davis won't score as many but the team as a whole will more than make up for it.

Blessing in disguise. Until he becomes a team player I'd leave him out.

At this stage he's causing more harm than good. His decision making breaks up our own play as he doesn't release the ball at the right time, and of late doesn't seem to be too bothered about occupying good goal scoring positions. It's not good enough. He still has an important role to play but his form is certainly worrying. 

Sorry but, I don't get this criticism of Kodjia. The guy is fantastic and works his socks off mostly ploughing a lone furrow up front and creating his own chances/goals. Today, he almost scored out of nothing and yet he gets criticised for his play?

We need to appreciate him more because he is the most skilful forward I've seen since Benteke and is borderline Dwight Yorke.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Looks like Bruce will be forced into that, so that’s good.

Yep unless he plays onomah in a 5 midfield which is exactly what I expect.

have to say kodjia has been really really poor since he came back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep unless he plays onomah in a 5 midfield which is exactly what I expect.

have to say kodjia has been really really poor since he came back.

I thought he was doing well, nearly scored today. But, I am not desperate over his injury, we've got good cover these days and we're no longer a one man team, I hope this is Hogan's chance as he needs one. As for Onomah, well he's undone all his previous good work, if there's an extra man in the middle I can see that being Jedi in the away games at least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

We'll be less dangerous if he's out. It's all fine to hope for Davis/Hogan combo, but we have no proof it'll work. I do have doubts though.

I think we look better balanced without him as although he has good skill he overdoes it too often and loses the ball - as for hogan he badly needs a goal or 2 or lift his confidence , although I like kodjia I think Davis and Hogan together could be a better scenarIo and it will be interesting to see 

Â