Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Very odd decision by the FA, but hey we have him back for a couple of games.

I don't think the ref in the game was biased, it just shows how poor the standard of officials is in this league. Fulham and Reading beforehand were two of the worst I have ever seen.

28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Very odd decision by the FA, but hey we have him back for a couple of games.

I don't think the ref in the game was biased, it just shows how poor the standard of officials is in this league. Fulham and Reading beforehand were two of the worst I have ever seen.

He was very biased. Johanson elbowed a villa player and didn't even get a booking. I felt the ref was pathetic 

15 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

No I obviously don't think the football was better in the 60s and agree dangerous play and deliberate acts likely to seriously hurt an opponent should have no place in any era. However Kodjia's was a foolish, heat of the moment act of petulant retaliation. He shouldn't have done it but to compare it to the type of violent acts you've listed is somewhat unfair on the lad. A mistake made, not the type of thing that needs stamping out. My reference to the modern game was directed more at Fredericks over reaction and running up to the linesman to try, successfully, to get him sent off. That's not an element of modern football that I like. 

Ah ok so my apologies, I had thought that you were making reference to the softness of modern football and that overly aggresive tackles etc. are ok, but I completely understand the comments about Fredericks reaction. That is also something which I would like to see eradicated from the game.

15 hours ago, bobzy said:

I actually disagree with this, by the way.  There's absolutely clearly a difference between "violent conduct" and "petulance".  Kodjia's 'kick' is clearly in the latter category, the Mings/Ibrahimovic incidents in the former.

It's the same way that I hate it when players get sent off for giving cheeky little taps on an opponent's face.  They're being provoked and give a little reaction - absolutely not violent.

However, deliberately hacking down a player from behind as they run clear to the defence is a deliberate foul which only ever receives a yellow card.  Much, much more dangerous than Kodjia's kick and little slaps etc

With regards to the comparison to the violent conduct, the point that I was trying to make was, it is more a case of if the game is to cut out any type of behaviour (violence or petulance) then there needs to be a deterent there in order to prevent incidents like this happening.

FWIW I would also like to see people get a red card for confronting officials in a manner similar to the way Fredericks did. I'm beginning to sound a bit authoritarian now so I'll stop.:D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He was very biased. Johanson elbowed a villa player and didn't even get a booking. I felt the ref was pathetic 

Doesn't mean he was biased, just that he was absolutely shit. 

The standard of refereeing in this league is woefully bad, the worst I've seen, must be even worse at League 1/2 level as well. Refs at this level don't seem to have the ability to 'spot' things as well as in the premier league nor have the required cognition to apply the laws properly at speed. This isn't to say that the Premier League refs are 'good', because they aren't, but you clearly see why they are at the 'top' level because compared to their Championship counterparts they are of Collina standard. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, blandy said:

The FA has fudged it basically. As people have said if Kodjia deserved a red, the Fulham player deserved one more so. But as the ref says he "saw" * the incident then they can't give him a retrospective red. (*did he heck see it)

Kodjia's offence wasn't actually (IMO) a red card offence, but I can see the 4th official might think he kicked the Fulham player.

So the FA have thought "actually it's unjust to give him a 3 game ban and the Fulham guy nothing, but we don't want to hang the ref out to dry, so we'll fudge it"

The rules have changed recently whereby even if the ref has seen an incident, it is now within the power of the governing body to go back and look at it again.  They'll only do that if they deem the original to have been badly misjudged (or only half seen), which this one was not.  But it's not technically true to say they can no longer go back on something.

glad he'll be back for our last two games. instrumental player for us this season and a complete beast. I really hope that he manages to bang in 20+ goals by the final whistle of the year.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

The rules have changed recently whereby even if the ref has seen an incident, it is now within the power of the governing body to go back and look at it again.  They'll only do that if they deem the original to have been badly misjudged (or only half seen), which this one was not.  But it's not technically true to say they can no longer go back on something.

Is this still the case for those yellow card incidents that should have been red?  Always hated that they couldn't review those.

Yes glad he has got the chance to get to 20 goals. For us it doesn't matter as the season has gone. Yes we want to beat Blues but at the end of the day we are going to be a championship side no matter what next season so all I care about is Kodjia getting his 20 goals.

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this still the case for those yellow card incidents that should have been red?  Always hated that they couldn't review those.

Yes because they could be incidents the ref thought he saw, but in reality didn't see it properly. And if it's a dangerous incident they want to be able to go back to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Gabby on bench not starting. Adds nothing really

Do you mean Gabby adds nothing to the team for a Blues derby? If you are saying that then I would be surprised. The Brum derby is the one game I would put Gabby in no questions asked. 

On 21/04/2017 at 23:25, GingerCollins29 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid q...but Scott Brown got sent off, banned for 3 games. Celtic lodge an appeal, and therefore he is allowed to play against rangers whilst waiting for his appeal. 

Could we have not done this with kodija?

I believe that was due to the timing of that match over the easter break. The league informed all clubs that appeals wouldn't be heard before the next match. As a result, Celtic appealed knowing they'd lose, but would allow him to face Rangers.

• Like 1

Â