International Football General Chat

villa4europe

4 hours ago, AJ said:

At least we still have Souttar, who always seems to tear Villa a new one whenever we play Stoke.

Souttar from corners and free kicks against small opposition is definitely a handy weapon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spoony said:

Talking about having the World Cup every two years. Where does the greed end...it’s easily the worst it’s ever been 

I haven't been following this latest "genius" idea (from Wenger this time) bar the headline....what happens to the euros and other local tournaments then? Do they just get scrapped or does that mean there's an international tournament every single summer?

Honestly would finish watching international football if it ever happened like that, tournaments already been messed about as it is with more teams allowed to qualify.

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I haven't been following this latest "genius" idea (from Wenger this time) bar the headline....what happens to the euros and other local tournaments then? Do they just get scrapped or does that mean there's an international tournament every single summer?

Honestly would finish watching international football if it ever happened like that, tournaments already been messed about as it is with more teams allowed to qualify.

I’d rather scrap all the pre qualifying and have everyone enter. Ruins every start to a season atleast, September and October internationals are ridiculous.

How they can even try to spin word cup every 2 years as good for football with a straight face I’ll never know.

9 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’d rather scrap all the pre qualifying and have everyone enter. Ruins every start to a season atleast, September and October internationals are ridiculous.

How they can even try to spin word cup every 2 years as good for football with a straight face I’ll never know.

Not a great idea, watching Ireland struggling to break down Montserrat at home would be too much

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not a great idea, watching Ireland struggling to break down Montserrat at home would be too much

Try Gibraltar. On current evidence I’m sure you could field a team of Father Ted, Ronan Keating and the founding members of the Dubliners and still have a chance. 

Edit: They’ve just scored. Haha. Fair enough, you may have to strengthen with Shane McGowan and Glen Whelan, then. 

Edited by El Zen

It’s funny when your team is up 4-1 and the prevailing impression is «f*** me, they couldn’t hit the proverbial with a banjo!»

Edited by El Zen

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Why is there another International break October already? 

What a joke and waste of time. 

You are aware there is a global pandemic? 

Tournaments like the Euros rearranged pushing out World Cup Qualifiers that need to be played.  Same with the Copa America.

On 07/09/2021 at 00:42, Hornso said:

Things have definitely fallen Australia's way early with Japan's surprise opening defeat. I don't have a lot of faith in this squad so I could easily see a side like Vietnam pushing us, especially if we go in with a half-arsed attitude plus one of our best attacking players in Boyle has been ruled out with a hamstring injury.

Thanks Australia......not.🙄

We needed him for the derby on Sunday ☹️

• Sad 1

Do away with qualifiers. 

128 teams. Straight knockout. 

Draw within region until the final 32. 

Only 6 games until the final. 

Smaller countries will have the chance of a big tie, therefore make money. 

Club season can be shortened with less qualifiers giving players more rest. 

29 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Do away with qualifiers. 

128 teams. Straight knockout. 

Draw within region until the final 32. 

Only 6 games until the final. 

Smaller countries will have the chance of a big tie, therefore make money. 

Club season can be shortened with less qualifiers giving players more rest.

There are more than 200 countries though?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

There are more than 200 countries though?

Unite some together like Trinidad and Tobago. North and South Korea, do we really need 2 Koreas or the 2 Irelands combine. Hell as both are shit maybe India and Pakistan can play as one 

FIFA for the Nobel Peace Prize

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why does common sense go out the window when it comes to football?

No fan wants the World Cup every two years, it will diminish the allure of it for starters.

International teams will constantly either be playing in or qualifying for it, we have this ‘push’ from the powers that be to want to reduce the numbers in the top club leagues because they play too many games so how on earth does this fit in? What happens to the euros, the nations league and all the other regional competitions?

Just feels like another hair brained idea dreamt up by people out of touch with the modern game and focused more on the YouTube generation.

Let’s hope someone puts a stop to it before it’s too late.

• Like 3

IMHO, its all to do with MONEY.I mean remember when the Champions league was the European cup and the only teams to qualify were the champions of a country.It wont be too long before the bottom 3 teams get relegated and the rest qualify for europe.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why does common sense go out the window when it comes to football?

Money and Greed puts paid to common sense, especially when FIFA are involved.

It just feels like everyone who comes into a position of power within fifa feels a need to make a change so that they can say they left some form of legacy. Football doesn’t need changing, at least not in terms of the competition structures. Focus on improving officiating, on cutting out diving and play acting, looking at ways to make the existing competitions more competitive for all of the participants (ie salary caps, restrictions on ownership etc). 

These are the important things to sort out in the game, Wenger can piss off.

Â