International Football General Chat

villa4europe

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently the 4 players were told to isolate awaiting deportation but instead went to the stadium to play

We don't know whether the 4 players were told personally or if the authorities relayed it to the national team setup who duly ignored it. 

It's a shit show though whatever

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently the 4 players were told to isolate awaiting deportation but instead went to the stadium to play

they were supposed to stay at the hotel. When they got to the stadium Argentina locked the dressing room door so couldnt be interviewed. They were only short of dressing Emi up as a ballboy or national anthem singer

Is that Enrico Palazzo? – Major League A*Holes

• Like 1

I didn't manage to stay awake, but I have watched the highlights and seen the reaction. It didn't look like that bad of a performance, just that Canada defended deep and got very lucky with deflections etc, on another night they'd have conceded three or four own goals.

The crowd seemed to turn silent and then quite hostile after Canada scored, which seems from afar like it probably won't have helped.

Anyway, I'm hoping Canada qualify, so not sad here.

7 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Well that was an awful performance again, drew Canada 1-1. Sigh.

Have another bottle of Cuervo yet to open though so their is that.

2nd time in 5 months McKennie missed a game for breaking Covid protocols. Maybe best we didnt sign him, he seems like an idiot 

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What do you mean "if they win" FFS,if we cant beat Vietnam we shouldnt be playing soccer.

I really wanted to say "when", but I didn't want to get too cocky and jinx it.

We should win, but y'know, football.

• Like 1

About the two Emis, I imagine that AVFC must have sought assurances from the AFA that they'd be allowed to play by the Venezuelan and then Brazilian authorities provided they quarantined in the hotel the rest of the time (as an exception to the standard rule for the general public coming from the UK). Maybe the AFA said yes it's fine, we've checked. But maybe they hadn't checked properly. Just a theory.

Vietnam had some really good results in last qualifying round....two 0-0s with Thailand and also beat UAE 1-0 at home. Were also leading at half time away to Saudi Arabia before losing 3-1.

Of course Australia will probably win but think the Asian qualifiers are going to be really interesting with lack of home advantage for many. Last round you had Japan 0-1 Oman for example which was huge shock. South Korea only drew 0-0 at home to Iraq aswell.

Really hoping Syria can get some early wins as they really pushed Australia very hard in the play off last time and would've had a good chance of beating Honduras if they'd made it through so real improvement from some of the minnows in Asia in last decade.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Vietnam had some really good results in last qualifying round....two 0-0s with Thailand and also beat UAE 1-0 at home. Were also leading at half time away to Saudi Arabia before losing 3-1.

Of course Australia will probably win but think the Asian qualifiers are going to be really interesting with lack of home advantage for many. Last round you had Japan 0-1 Oman for example which was huge shock. South Korea only drew 0-0 at home to Iraq aswell.

Really hoping Syria can get some early wins as they really pushed Australia very hard in the play off last time and would've had a good chance of beating Honduras if they'd made it through so real improvement from some of the minnows in Asia in last decade.

Things have definitely fallen Australia's way early with Japan's surprise opening defeat. I don't have a lot of faith in this squad so I could easily see a side like Vietnam pushing us, especially if we go in with a half-arsed attitude plus one of our best attacking players in Boyle has been ruled out with a hamstring injury.

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

Things have definitely fallen Australia's way early with Japan's surprise opening defeat. I don't have a lot of faith in this squad so I could easily see a side like Vietnam pushing us, especially if we go in with a half-arsed attitude plus one of our best attacking players in Boyle has been ruled out with a hamstring injury.

At least we still have Souttar, who always seems to tear Villa a new one whenever we play Stoke.

Â