International Football General Chat

villa4europe

These games happening as normal is ridiculous anyway, as are most these internationals. God forbid they lose some money by reorganising qualifying and banning friendlies to make the situation feasible and reasonable for players, clubs and fans.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They should probably have a kind of “customs” so they could check these things when people arrive in the country.

Exactly! What an absolute farce! But surely the Argentinian FA knew this quarantine rule, (which probably also applies to people entering Argentina from the UK). Maybe they should have checked more thoroughly whether the 4 UK based lads could be given exceptional exemption as international footballers.

So am I understanding this, the 4 players declared they hadn’t been in the UK in the last 14 days and are being nicked by the Brazilian police for it?

Obviously a lie they won’t have a leg to stand on. I wonder if the Argentinian FA will distance themselves from this or support them.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

So am I understanding this, the 4 players declared they hadn’t been in the UK in the last 14 days and are being nicked by the Brazilian police for it?

Obviously a lie they won’t have a leg to stand on. I wonder if the Argentinian FA will distance themselves from this or support them.

Worst case yep

Best case the argie FA have tried to get them in via an exemption like being a professional for an international body (but I'm guessing that's like the UN rather than a FA...) 

Either way this tonight is all for show, they would have known as soon as the squad was announced what was happening and just sat on it waiting for their big moment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Worst case yep

Best case the argie FA have tried to get them in via an exemption like being a professional for an international body (but I'm guessing that's like the UN rather than a FA...) 

Either way this tonight is all for show, they would have known as soon as the squad was announced what was happening and just sat on it waiting for their big moment 

If they were coming in under an exemption though you’d think they should still have ticked “yes” for being in the UK then the exemption kicks in.

Sounds like it could get messy. 

From the BBC

Brazil and Argentina's World Cup qualifier was suspended just minutes after kick off on Sunday after Brazilian health officials objected to the participation of three Argentine players they believe broke quarantine rules.

The visitors walked off the pitch at the Corinthians arena after the officials came out to stop the game. 

The dramatic intervention came hours after Brazil's health authorities had said four England-based players for Argentina had to quarantine.

Although it did not name the four, the players with English Premier League clubs are Emiliano Buendia and Emiliano Martinez of Aston Villa and Giovani lo Celso and Cristian Romero of Tottenham Hotspur.

Martinez, Lo Celso and Romero all started the game in Sao Paulo.

Around one hour after the game was suspended and while Brazilian players organised an impromptu training session on the pitch, South American football's governing body Conmebol said in a statement: "By decision of the match referee, the match organized by Fifa between Brazil and Argentina for the World Cup Qualifiers is suspended.

"The referee and the match commissioner will submit a report to the Fifa Disciplinary Committee, which will determine the steps to be followed. These procedures strictly adhere to current regulations."

Under Brazilian rules, visitors who have been in the UK in the 14 days before entering the country must quarantine for 14 days on arrival.

Brazil's health authority, Anvisa, said in a statement before the game: "Anvisa considers the situation a serious health risk and so has asked local health authorities to determine the immediate quarantine of the players, who are stopped from participating in any activity and should be prevented from remaining on Brazilian soil."

Brazil have done a number on them .but a good one. They kept it in their top pocketand pulled it out at the most opportune time . 

Villa Villa. Please never be so nieve ever again. We need an internationals supervisor who should deal with anything that way related. But maybe we do have one 

This is an interesting quote from the BBC story I quoted above :

Brazil's health authority, Anvisa, said in a statement before the game: "Anvisa considers the situation a serious health risk and so has asked local health authorities to determine the immediate quarantine of the players, who are stopped from participating in any activity and should be prevented from remaining on Brazilian soil."

They need to immediately quarantine and be prevented from remaining on Brazilian soil… 🤔 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

This is an interesting quote:

Brazil's health authority, Anvisa, said in a statement before the game: "Anvisa considers the situation a serious health risk and so has asked local health authorities to determine the immediate quarantine of the players, who are stopped from participating in any activity and should be prevented from remaining on Brazilian soil."

They need to immediately quarantine and be prevented from remaining on Brazilian soil… 🤔 

Maybe lost in translation. Either that or they can’t even issue a statement that makes sense.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is an interesting quote from the BBC story I quoted above :

my Brazilian friend told me the health authority dont respect Bolsanero who wanted the game to go ahead. So this might be an internal political issue too

Â