Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

All I seem to read about McCormack is him having personal issues - the way I see it is like this - the guy has flown to the other side of the world to play in a very uncompromising league - albeit of not great standard - he's probably getting lumps kicked out of him most games, so there must be some desire in him to play football if he is prepared to put up with a 6ft Aussie defender telling him he is going to get his legs smashed - would you not think ? I for one do not believe we are so good that we can ignore him and he could just prove to be the striker from the bench who could help haul us potentially over the line 

Judging by the video posted on the previous page, he doesn't even have to worry about defenders closing him down, let alone kicking lumps out of him. Is it really as tough as you're suggesting?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I bet he celebrated with a few Castlemaine XXXX's! 

Ahem, he's in Melbourne so it would have either been Victoria Bitter, Melbourne Bitter or Carlton Draught :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Judging by the video posted on the previous page, he doesn't even have to worry about defenders closing him down, let alone kicking lumps out of him. Is it really as tough as you're suggesting?

Well I think that most football followers agree that the lower you go down the footballing ladders - the more uncompromising the game becomes - as for the A - League as it stands right now in truth I don't watch it now but my own observations of Aussie football over a longer period leave me to think that athleticism and physicality are two important components of the game - when viewed from afar.

i haven't seen the video so I will bow to your knowledge on his latest goal - however you would assume that his confidence, fitness and desire must have all improved as a result of his spell down under? Could we not also benefit now as a result of this ?

45 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well I think that most football followers agree that the lower you go down the footballing ladders - the more uncompromising the game becomes - as for the A - League as it stands right now in truth I don't watch it now but my own observations of Aussie football over a longer period leave me to think that athleticism and physicality are two important components of the game - when viewed from afar.

i haven't seen the video so I will bow to your knowledge on his latest goal - however you would assume that his confidence, fitness and desire must have all improved as a result of his spell down under? Could we not also benefit now as a result of this ?

Maybe we could benefit, but I doubt we will. Once the trust is gone between manager and player, you don't get it back easily. 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just this week Friend at Boro rocketed one in from 25 yards after having an age to tee up his shot. Let us not pretend this league is much better.

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe we could benefit, but I doubt we will. Once the trust is gone between manager and player, you don't get it back easily. 

The way I counter this Hanoi is that Bruce has held out an olive branch to a striker who simply never scores and whose previous behaviour in our relegation season well shall we just agree left a lot to be desired in my humble opinion?  Surely Ross could be afforded similar maybe ?

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We don't need Ross McCormack.

This is probably true, but it would be interesting (theoretically) to see what would happen if he was working with Agnew and alongside Grealish etc.  But not sure I would risk the stability and apparent squad cohesion to give him another chance.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

The way I counter this Hanoi is that Bruce has held out an olive branch to a striker who simply never scores and whose previous behaviour in our relegation season well shall we just agree left a lot to be desired in my humble opinion?  Surely Ross could be afforded similar maybe ?

I've seen quotes like this before, we know Bruce did with Gabby because he actually took his chance, trained hard, got fit, put the effort in, even started the season with a goal (a miracle in itself) before getting injured repeatedly. Had he not gotten injured I'd imagine he'd have a fair few appearances and dare I say it a few goals to his name by now, because when Bruce challenged him to get fit, work hard and improve, he actually did. His inability to get a run in the team because of his constant little niggles are a result of his style of play and poor fitness prior to Bruce IMO

There's nothing to suggest that he didn't do the same with Ross, in fact from his point of view why wouldn't he? Challenge an underperforming player to work hard and earn their place back? Why wouldn't you do that? If he was willing to do it to a player even our owner wanted out of the club I simply cannot believe he was not willing to do the same for a striker that same owner had just spunked £12m on, so I'd assume the same olive branch was held out for Ross, who decided that he'd rather not put in any extra effort and go live it up in Australia on his massive salary for a while. 

Scoring a load of penalties in a division no better than in Scotland is probably not what we need to fire us to promotion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, weedman said:

I've seen quotes like this before, we know Bruce did with Gabby because he actually took his chance, trained hard, got fit, put the effort in, even started the season with a goal (a miracle in itself) before getting injured repeatedly. Had he not gotten injured I'd imagine he'd have a fair few appearances and dare I say it a few goals to his name by now, because when Bruce challenged him to get fit, work hard and improve, he actually did. His inability to get a run in the team because of his constant little niggles are a result of his style of play and poor fitness prior to Bruce IMO

There's nothing to suggest that he didn't do the same with Ross, in fact from his point of view why wouldn't he? Challenge an underperforming player to work hard and earn their place back? Why wouldn't you do that? If he was willing to do it to a player even our owner wanted out of the club I simply cannot believe he was not willing to do the same for a striker that same owner had just spunked £12m on, so I'd assume the same olive branch was held out for Ross, who decided that he'd rather not put in any extra effort and go live it up in Australia on his massive salary for a while. 

Scoring a load of penalties in a division no better than in Scotland is probably not what we need to fire us to promotion

Our differences in this matter I feel fundamentally lie in your view that Gabby would outscore McCormack if both given the same amount of game time ? Personally I do not think he would - but we are never going to know are we? I just think it's a shame that we have a proven goal scorer plying his trade in the A league -regardless of what happened in the past - could their differences not be settled now I would ask?

He's bad news, keep him away.

"lavisa Jokanovic had considered re-signing McCormack on loan, but his players didn't give him positive feedback.

The club sold McCormack to Villa for £12m in the summer and looked to be one of the favourites to sign him in the January window.

The paper writes: "McCormack was understood to be a disruptive influence last season, despite being the club’s – and possibly the division’s – best player."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-fulham-12499893

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

Our differences in this matter I feel fundamentally lie in your view that Gabby would outscore McCormack if both given the same amount of game time ? Personally I do not think he would - but we are never going to know are we? I just think it's a shame that we have a proven goal scorer plying his trade in the A league -regardless of what happened in the past - could their differences not be settled now I would ask?

I think he would, only going from what I've seen from both of them since the start of last season. Regardless of of their pasts, one is working hard, motivated and fit, the other is unmotivated, out of shape and unwilling to change that. 

If (and it's a big if) Ross came back, got himself fit and committed, and actually started giving 100% I believe Bruce would give him another chance and then he would comfortably outscore Gabby, unfortunately that Ross McCormack has never shown himself for us and I can't see it happening. 

I think they'll both be gone as soon as we can get rid of them and neither will amount to anything afterwards 

I think the perception that Bruce is just being stubborn and won't back down from some petty difference with mcCormack is very wide of the mark.

Like weedman says, I'm sure if Ross proved he was willing to get dedicated and get back to the right performance level he'd be given a chance. Why on Earth wouldn't he be?

I think the reality is he's a disruptive influence, he's not very good, his mentality is questionable and he's not willing to put it right.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â