Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A good rule of thumb is to draw no conclusions from YouTube videos.

I'd agree with that  and it's the main reason I hadn't looked until now but curiosity got the better of me. I'm happy to go with Battara's recommendation.

16 minutes ago, limvillian said:

Just after watching his highlights from last season for the first time, while I noted he made some good saves the amount of times he parried the ball directly out in front of the goals or to an opposition player is worrying also seems to go for quiete a few saves with the wrong arm possibly for show. Hopefully Battara can sort these issues out.

I think Kalinics reel was similar.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Welcome lad. Its been a while since we have had a decent keeper, so if you prove to be one, you may go down in Villa folk law. 

After being stuck with two goalkeepers putting in performances not good enough for the league we are in, it's brave to go for a young goalkeeper not used to the league we are set to play in rather than a more experienced player.

Welcome and good luck.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

I know nothing of him but I'd be confident that RDM and almost certainly Battara know plenty about him.

We needed a new keeper as there is no way Guzan or Bunn could start next season. Guzan especially is a mistake away from having the crowd on his back and regardless of what you think of him ability wise that is not a cloud we need gong into a new season with hopefully a fresh positive attitude around the club.

Good luck to this lad. Hopefully he won't have too much to do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

After being stuck with two goal keepers putting in performances not good enough for the league we are in it's brave to go for a young goalkeeper no used to the league we are set to play in rather than a more experienced player.

Welcome and good luck.

I'd suggest it is a bit different/easier for goalkeepers to adapt to a new league compared to an outfield player as the role of a goalkeeper is a lot more limited than that of say a central midfielder.

For example, a midfielder who is used to the slower pace of the Spanish League will take longer to adapt to the fast pace of the Premier League (or Championship in our case) than a goalkeeper, who's job is less dependant on the style/pace of play.

• Like 1

They might go with Steer 1, Gollini 2 and Bunn 3 and then just bundle Guzan in to an old van, drive down the M6, open the back door and tell him he's 'free now'. 

I didn't see Steer much last season on loan, I take it he did OK? 

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

They might go with Steer 1, Gollini 2 and Bunn 3 and then just bundle Guzan in to an old van, drive down the M6, open the back door and tell him he's 'free now'. 

I didn't see Steer much last season on loan, I take it he did OK? 

jed's going to steer guzan out of Villa Park

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

I'd suggest it is a bit different/easier for goalkeepers to adapt to a new league compared to an outfield player as the role of a goalkeeper is a lot more limited than that of say a central midfielder.

For example, a midfielder who is used to the slower pace of the Spanish League will take longer to adapt to the fast pace of the Premier League (or Championship in our case) than a goalkeeper, who's job is less dependant on the style/pace of play.

In essence yeah, but in England you'll deal with more crosses/lumps into the box as well as "the big lad up front" that you dont get in most European leagues, so he'll have to adapt to that.

He'll also be dealing with less disciplined defenders here (insert your Lescott/Richards jokes as you wish) - Italian defenders are robotic in their approach to their positioning and general defending, and English teams just arent as tactically disciplined - so Gollini might take for granted in Serie A something like a defender being in the right place so he doesnt need to come out and yell at them or organise them before a set play, but in England some of the defensive play is awful at times

Welcome to the Villa Gollini! 

He's already better than Guzan purely for the fact that we'll give him a chance. He's young with potential to improve and will likely make mistakes along the way. But these mistakes won't stoke up the hatred that Guzan's mistakes would next season. 

With Battara on board I trust this signing. 

Â