Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

I'm sure he'll work on kicking and communication and will improve. Young lad, new country, new language, new team mates, new style of football. He'll get better  - hopefully as did the Man U keeper, wossisname, De Gea.

I've noticed he seems to not always gather the ball cleanly from shots and stuff. He seems to let it out of his grasp quite a few times. I dunno much about goalkeeping at all, but it looks like a technical flaw in his game, or maybe it's an anxiety thing just being a tad too tense.

• Like 1

On 16 August 2016 at 22:18, bobzy said:

Gollini must've yelled for it and, if it was in the box, Elphick would have done the right thing - the keeper can smother it there. 

30 yards out from goal, though? Just clear it defender. Or, if you're not going to, don't give the attacker free run to close the ball down. Block him off, take the foul. 

Absolutely spot on and the best description i have read.....particularly the second paragraph.

you simply cannot let balls loose like that.....Elphick and Chester to a lesser extent should have been mindful of the intentions of Hefele, by his body language....they assumed he had too much to do and left it to Gollini.....mistake.

Hefele chased a lost cause( supposedly) we have to too....our guys switched off too soon and exposed the keeper.

I actually agree with RDM's view......I think he will be a good keeper.....keep playing him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Last season we conceded 76 goals in 38 games, this season we've only conceded 2 in 3.  We've lost one game.  Something's improved somewhere.

To be fair, it's only 3 games in and the quality of the opposition has fallen.

At this point last season we'd beaten Bournemouth, lost 1-0 to Man United, and lost to Palace after a huge goalkeeping/defender mistake in the 90th minute. Similar enough start.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Last season we conceded 76 goals in 38 games, this season we've only conceded 2 in 3.  We've lost one game.  Something's improved somewhere.

Small sample size and the skill of the opposition's attackers?

But in all seriousness I like Gollini and think he will keep improving! Still my numero uno, and I think Chester/Elphick/Gollini trinitas will be more than adequate for most championship opposition

Edited by GENTLEMAN
Totally added some Latin
  • Like 2

To those that were at the game or managed to watch it..... What about that diving save when their player did the overhead kick :o

Last season, that would have been a goal. All day long.

I've seen enough in Gollini to be pretty confident that him, with Elphick and Chester in front of him, will be a fairly solid centre of defence.

He's young. I guess he'll make a few of these mistakes, which hopefully he will learn from.

• Like 3

I still don't actually think he made a mistake.

He's done what I've been begging a villa player to do for 25 years when the ball is around our box and that was to put his **** foot through it. The fact that the Huddersfield player never gave up and just so happened to jump into the flight of the ball meaning that it ricochet into the net from 30 yards is just unfortunate.

I honestly, and I say this with the greatest of respects, believe that anyone who thinks he made a massive mistake has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. 

• Like 3

I actually quite like him. I think other than those two poor kicks he has been decent, unfortunately the two errors are what people are remembering at the moment. In my opinion he looks solid and much better than what we have had for years, he is still young and looks like he could develop into a great player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

I actually quite like him. I think other than those two poor kicks he has been decent, unfortunately the two errors are what people are remembering at the moment. In my opinion he looks solid and much better than what we have had for years, he is still young and looks like he could develop into a great player. 

I have to disagree. His handling isn't clean, and positioning, especially for free kicks looks very suspect IMO

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

I have to disagree. His handling isn't clean, and positioning, especially for free kicks looks very suspect IMO

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Which handling in particular wasn't clean?

He claimed all high balls in the Wednesday game without dropping any, and punched well in the Derby game. Which incidents are you remembering?

I like him he has a presence about him he is young , good shot stopper yeah he punches the ball but Italian keepers always have always will unlike Guzan he can dive both sides. Early days but he CAN become a great goalkeeper 

59 minutes ago, hippo said:

hmm, I can't think of many he hasn't handled well tbh perhaps 1 or 2 but in 5 games that isn't too bad. 

Which free kicks are you referring to? the ones into the box or the ones they are shooting from? 

Tbf i've been used to watching Guzans positioning from free kicks for the past few seasons and I always hated where he would stand so perhaps I'm just thankful he doesn't do what he did :-). But I think generally he hasn't looked too bad from free kicks, the only ones that looked to beat him went wide so I can't grumble too much. 

35 minutes ago, mwj said:

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Which handling in particular wasn't clean?

He claimed all high balls in the Wednesday game without dropping any, and punched well in the Derby game. Which incidents are you remembering?

Well there was a routine take v Derby where he punched - another where he punched and was fortunate to be given a free kick.

I just don't feel he inspires much confidence and feel there is a 'Mare' waiting to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well there was a routine take v Derby where he punched - another where he punched and was fortunate to be given a free kick.

I just don't feel he inspires much confidence and feel there is a 'Mare' waiting to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

Lay off him, Mark, you'll get your chance in the cup.

Oh, wait...

Edited by fightoffyour

I just don't like how much he runs out of the box to kick the ball.. He has a lot to fix about his game, but I think that is the most important one. Let the defenders clear around the box Gollini, your realm is ideally within the 18-yard box and primarily within the 6-yard box.. If you find yourself several feet outside the 18-yard box chasing down a ball you way outside of your boundaries.

I understand that sometimes the ball finds itself in no-mans-land between the defender and the keeper. IF the keeper is closer and an attacking player is barreling down on the ball then run out, but Gollini has done this at least once per game so far this campaign and that is far too often. These no-mans-land moments are typically once a season things if that.. So I hope the goalkeeping coach is telling him to cool it on trying to be an outfield player every match. 

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I just don't like how much he runs out of the box to kick the ball.. He has a lot to fix about his game, but I think that is the most important one. Let the defenders clear around the box Gollini, your realm is ideally within the 18-yard box and primarily within the 6-yard box.. If you find yourself several feet outside the 18-yard box chasing down a ball you way outside of your boundaries.

I understand that sometimes the ball finds itself in no-mans-land between the defender and the keeper. IF the keeper is closer and an attacking player is barreling down on the ball then run out, but Gollini has done this at least once per game so far this campaign and that is far too often. These no-mans-land moments are typically once a season things if that.. So I hope the goalkeeping coach is telling him to cool it on trying to be an outfield player every match. 

I think he needs adjustment time. He's a young man in a new country, thrust into a role where there is close to zero margin for error. He may be a good keeper in time. But Im not convinced in at the deep end is the best approach here.

I noticed that in the Derby game, the exact same mistake that happened between Elphick and Gollini against Huddersfield could've happened twice.

On the first occasion, Elphick dealt with the ball, hooking it out of play.  On the second occasion, Gollini got the ball but put it out of play.  It was encouraging to see because; a] they're confident enough to keep doing what they've been told (supposedly) and b] they've learnt from that error and know not to take the same risk anymore.

Overall, Gollini impresses me.  He's a lot like De Gea was at Man Utd initially; comfortable stopping shots but looking to punch a bit too often.  He'll settle in and become a valuable player IMO.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â