Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Based on costing us 3 points in 3 games.

He might turn it around, I am just speculating that we might end up going in for some experience in goal in January if things continue as they are.

He hasn't cost us 3 points in 3 games.  There's an entire team there.

This thread is going to wind me up far too much - but I can't believe we're judging a keeper after 3 games. Mental.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This thread is going to wind me up far too much - but I can't believe we're judging a keeper after 3 games. Mental.

Maybe we should close the thread then if people are not allowed an opinion based on what they see. He's made 2 mistakes in 3 games conceding 2 goals. Goals which have cost us points. Hopefully he settles down and becomes a club legend, I hope so.

• Like 2

Defence should have cleared it and whilst not the greatest kick in the world, 9 times out of 10 that misses the player or it pings off elsewhere.

I'm certainly not going to judge Gollini solely for the mistake. It was a team mistake and a silly one. It's not going to happen every week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I will concede that point. But thats a mighty big if ?  -and at what point do you call it ?

Ive been watching villa for over 40 years - The only young keeper to consistently perform well I have seen is the one a million, Mark Bosnich.

You need an experienced guy between the sticks.

Whilst I loved Bosnich and think he was one of our best GK in my lifetime, a great shot and penalty stopper, and fairly good at claiming crosses so was a fan favourite, However Bosnich had his kicking flaws, and I do remember a number of dodgy kicks from him. One  in particular that sticks out in my mind is kicking it straight to Matt Le Tissier in the final minute of a midweek game for Le Tissier to score at VP. Every time to ball rolled back to Bosnich to kick it would skew off his foot with a massive hook or slice it was pretty embarrasing for a pro footballer to kick so badly. I think we have to cut Gollini a bit of slack for now, casting him from the team after 3 games will only destroy his confidence. I would hope the new GK coach will work through things with him, and he will come back stronger. If the trend continues though then we will need to look at things again.

Edited by NeilS

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not judging him. I'm asking the question, are you happy with him being our keeper for the next 43 games with Bunn as back up? 

• Like 2

Agree that placing blame is pointless.  Plenty for the coaches to work on.   From finishing at the other end, to the defenders, to the GK.  Lot's of things could have, and in fact should have been better.  Including by the way, well done to the forward closing the keeper on a clearance.  Somebody make our forwards watch this repeatedly.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Be interesting to know if Gollini called for it or Elphick called Gollini  - looking at his hand gestures it was the later and I would agree with you.

It doesn't matter. Elphick is experienced enough to know that at that stage of the game you just deal with it. It's no time to be looking to counter. 

The bobble killed the ball and Gollini ends up with egg on his face, again. But he should not be put in that position. Ever. 

It's a shame but shit happens. If we'd taken our chances in the first hour we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not judging him. I'm asking the question, are you happy with him being our keeper for the next 43 games with Bunn as back up?

Its too early to make that decision for sure, but it goes without saying that if he keep making these errors then he has to be dropped.

Hopefully its just an unfortunate couple of clangers close together that all keepers make from time to time.

Edited by Genie

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yep. 

I'd argue ayew's missed chances cost us more than Gollini. 

47 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Whilst I loved Bosnich and think he was one of our best GK in my lifetime, a great shot and penalty stopper, and fairly good at claiming crosses so was a fan favourite, However Bosnich had his kicking flaws, and I do remember a number of dodgy kicks from him. One  in particular that sticks out in my mind is kicking it straight to Matt Le Tissier in the final minute of a midweek game for Le Tissier to score at VP. Every time to ball rolled back to Bosnich to kick it would skew off his foot with a massive hook or slice it was pretty embarrasing for a pro footballer to kick so badly. I think we have to cut Gollini a bit of slack for now, casting him from the team after 3 games will only destroy his confidence. I would hope the new GK coach will work through things with him, and he will come back stronger. If the trend continues though then we will need to look at things again.

I agree with you- Bozzie is in my view our best ever goalkeeper, but yes his kicking was flawed

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. 

I'd argue ayew's missed chances cost us more than Gollini. 

Maybe - but this is the Gollini thread. All the forwards shoulder the blame for us not being 2 or 3 up at 45 mins. But Gollini's blunders are an issue. IT would be foolish to pretend otherwise. I don't think Tony will allow it to continue though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

So many things wrong with this statement.

Unbelievable.

Why ? apparently he went ballistic at the Luton match the other directors had to calm him down. If Gollini keeps making errors big Tony will act.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

I don't think the goal was his fault, and certainly not solely his fault. Made some saves to keep us in the game but an equalising goal was coming. We failed to win that match last night as we conceded midfield possession to them and lost control of the game and had zero options on the bench to change it.  If we had jedinak on the pitch then one point would have been three .

True this!

Gollini has made one error. And even then, that error led to a goal because of horrific bad luck.

He's 21. He's played THREE games. Apart from the error. he has looked fantastic.

If you think Tony is going to step in and get rid of a 21 year old keeper after a short period of time, then you're deluded.

• Like 3

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Gollini has made one error. And even then, that error led to a goal because of horrific bad luck.

He's 21. He's played THREE games. Apart from the error. he has looked fantastic.

If you think Tony is going to step in and get rid of a 21 year old keeper after a short period of time, then you're deluded.

Don't think he will get rid of him. He might bring another keeper in - or lean on RDM to play A.N. Other keeper.

I don't actually think he does look fantastic. He flapped at a few things v Rotherham.

He's probably as good as any 21 year old keeper, he's still learning, has time to improve. My point is a 21 year old rookie should be our first choice keeper. He's just not ready yet.

Â