Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

I'm not really comparing them to Bosnich, just saying we havent had even a vaguely competent goalkeeper since Bossie.

Carson that season was the worst season I have ever seen from any goalkeeper. I get angry thinking about it. And of course MON being the stubborn idiot he was wouldnt drop him.

Schmechel was excellent for the first half of the season and then became useless for the second half. Had some absolute howlers. It was bizarre. Guzan was superb for that one season like 3 seasons ago then went the way of Schmeichel.

As I said thought, for 17 years, our goalkeepers have cost us a tonne of points and in some circumstance, a few trophies.

As a slight aside, whats the most weve ever paid for keeper ? - it could be Gollini at £4m - perhaps thats also an issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

That was not a Gollini mistake, it was an Elphick mistake.  He easily had possession of that ball and control of that situation if he had wanted.  But instead he stood back and allowed the keeper to be in a comparitively dangerous situation.  If Elphick had taken ownership he had a simple out-ball to Cissokho.

Yes shit happens and Gollini ended up being very unlucky, but this was not on him and he should never have been asked to clear that ball.  Because even though 9 times out of 10 you get away with it, if you avoid the situation in the first place then you don't run the risk of playing with the odds.

Keeper error primarily, but also there's an element of Elphick not realising the extent of the danger and intervening. It's the keeper because he'd come charging out to get to the ball, so taking charge of the situation, and then he welted it against the forward. Yes it was a bit of a fluke in that it bounced in, and maybe Elphick should have ignored his charging keeper and the risk of a collision and tried to deal. New players take time to get the understanding with each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not if he grows in confidence every game, going on to have a fantastic season and becoming a hot young property. We've always got Bunn who is fine for this level.

I will concede that point. But thats a mighty big if ?  -and at what point do you call it ?

Ive been watching villa for over 40 years - The only young keeper to consistently perform well I have seen is the one a million, Mark Bosnich.

You need an experienced guy between the sticks.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Keeper error primarily, but also there's an element of Elphick not realising the extent of the danger and intervening. It's the keeper because he'd come charging out to get to the ball, so taking charge of the situation, and then he welted it against the forward. Yes it was a bit of a fluke in that it bounced in, and maybe Elphick should have ignored his charging keeper and the risk of a collision and tried to deal. New players take time to get the understanding with each other.

Yes my point is that completely regardless of what Gollini wanted to do, it was Elphick who should have realised and taken control.  One simple pass to Cissokho puts that danger to bed.  He actually had to pull out of having possession of the ball.  Very frustrating, especially for someone who's been around the block and is the captain.

But yes it'll come together and these are the lessons they'll learn.  As usual though, it seems the mistakes we make get punished severely.

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm not really comparing them to Bosnich, just saying we havent had even a vaguely competent goalkeeper since Bossie.

Carson that season was the worst season I have ever seen from any goalkeeper. I get angry thinking about it. And of course MON being the stubborn idiot he was wouldnt drop him.

Schmechel was excellent for the first half of the season and then became useless for the second half. Had some absolute howlers. It was bizarre. Guzan was superb for that one season like 3 seasons ago then went the way of Schmeichel.

As I said thought, for 17 years, our goalkeepers have cost us a tonne of points and in some circumstance, a few trophies.

Brad Friedel was more than vaguely competent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I will concede that point. But thats a mighty big if ?  -and at what point do you call it ?

Ive been watching villa for over 40 years - The only young keeper to consistently perform well I have seen is the one a million, Mark Bosnich.

You need an experienced guy between the sticks.

He seems a confident lad and it's not like the errors he's making are down to worrying about something, they've both been total flukes. I'm sure Gollini will be thinking "The only player to beat me so far is myself". He's just been unlucky really.

I think it's exciting to have a young keeper with seemingly lots of potential. I'd rather we gave him game time tbh and let him improve.

Both of these kicks could have easily not have ended up as goals conceded and no-one would be discussing this. It's not as if either of them were absolute howlers.

I think what we've decided is that assigning blame to Elphick, Gollini or lady luck isn't going to get us anywhere. There are loads of 'ifs' and 'buts' but at the end of the day, it's a new team, we've played well aside from this incident and we will, based on current form, only get better.

I like this team and I like where we're going.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I think what we've decided is that assigning blame to Elphick, Gollini or lady luck isn't going to get us anywhere.

Agreed. Getting on Gollini's back after THREE games won't help him or the team. Calling for a new keeper and for him to be dropped is just about the worst thing to do right now.

• Like 2

It was an embarrassing goal. He clearly took charge of the situation and then **** it up, the vast majority of the blame is on him, he really should have cleared his lines. 

As pointed out, despite his two errors he has looked good, and young keepers are invariably going to be error prone, but he really does need to sharpen up on his kicking, because he has cost us 4 points with it thus far. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

It was an embarrassing goal. He clearly took charge of the situation and then **** it up, the vast majority of the blame is on him, he really should have cleared his lines. 

I get what your saying but I do think this is super harsh. 99 times out of 100 that ball either misses Hefele (sp?) or bounces off him and goes some other than the goal 20 yards behind Gollini.

RDM called it a goalkeeping error which is how I see it.

He had time to put that kick anywhere, rather than row z he opted for down the pitch in the direction of the forward. I'm sure he won't do it again. I have a nasty feeling we'll be keeper shopping again in January...

It was a defensive mistake with the onus being on the keeper as he was the one who kicked the ball against the man. The defender and the keeper got a bit too close. If Gollini stayed deeper the defender passes the ball back and it's cleared easily. It was a break down in communication compounded by the fact the ball held up a bit therefore giving little space for the clearance. We are a new team and these things will happen. The more the defence plays together the better they'll get. I'd rather the mistakes happened now than in the run in when it'd be be a lot more painful. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

He had time to put that kick anywhere, rather than row z he opted for down the pitch in the direction of the forward. I'm sure he won't do it again. I have a nasty feeling we'll be keeper shopping again in January...

Based on what? 2 kicks in 3 games? Did you bother watching the rest of his performances? 

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

He's young and keeper mistakes always highlighted as they cause goals and often loss of points. Fat to early to write him off.

however mistakes involving Gollini have cost us 3 points in our first 3 games. He's in the deep end and if he can learn quickly from the errors then we will have a good keeper as his shot stopping is very good. 

If he doesn't learn and can't cope with physicality on crosses and speed of closing down and decision making involved then we will need a replacement as Bunn isn't good enough either. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember De Gea's first season at Man Utd? I seem to recall him having a bit of a shocker. Gollini is clearly a talent and has made some good saves. The good thing for me is he has got the easy stuff wrong so far, so it is totally fixable. It comes with experience. Imagine what a great keeper he could be for us in the next few years. I also think he is still adequate at this level right now and will learn from his mistakes. If we get a more experienced keeper they won't have as much room for improvement and for them to sign for Villa would mean that they are most likely not a top keeper - perhaps more solid now but long term it would be a waste. 

Let's stick by Gollini. If young players can be a success here we'll be able to tap into the best young talents going forward. If they flop and don't play after a few errors, young players will think twice about coming to AVFC. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Based on what? 2 kicks in 3 games?

Based on costing us 3 points in 3 games.

He might turn it around, I am just speculating that we might end up going in for some experience in goal in January if things continue as they are.

Â