Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

14 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Maybe Gollini and Elphick got confused as to who was who. We as fans get them mixed up as they do look a like, why can't they? ;)

Seriously though, it is an error no doubt but he will learn. He has got a definite talent, looks an excellent shot stopper. My only real concern is that he has a tendency to punch rather than catch which I think keeps the pressure up. That's something that can be worked on though. Have no issue with him being no 1 and given he has the no 1 shirt; I imagine RDM expects him to be first choice. 

Agree about the forwards. Thought Gestede and Mccormack were pretty infective last night.  Gollini error should have been a footnote - but an error none the less.

We should have been more than 1-0 up against Huddersfield so for me, the players in the final third are just as much to blame for the dropping of two points as Gollini is.

He made a couple of good saves last night, I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the keeper situation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

You said we have had nothing but bad luck for a long time. I was just pointing out we had a little luck when they hit the post.

Putting a 21 year old rookie as first choice isn't bad luck, Its poor decision making from RDM. 

There was a fella at some club who made his debut at 19 and became the first choice.  The Team Real Madrid, the player Iker Casillas Fernández

We have no-one better at the club.  It is one mistake he made plenty of saves before that.  What should have happened is we should have scored more when on top so that one mistake didn't cost us points

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Doesn't matter what intended to do.

He is only 21 and might be a good keeper in time.  

But for the here and now he isn't ready. Its massive ask for a 21 year old to come in from a foreign country to come in and be first choice keeper right from the off. 

In your view he isn't ready.

In the view of our manager and keeping coach he is and I suspect they have watched him more than twice.

We shall have to wait and see but personally I think it's premature to be making such judgements.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

By the end of this season we'll look back and be glad we have him.

On a somewhat related note, I do sometimes wonder if us Villa fans got the team we deserved in the last few years.

I beg to differ. 

I don't blame Gollini, he's just a young bloke who took an extremely brave decision to come and join us. I blame RDM he has assembled an experienced spine of team - then plonked a rookie in perhaps the most important position of all.

He may or may not come good in time. But we need a top notch, in form no mistakes keeper...like now.....We can't throw a season or two while Gollini gets up to speed.

Sky had " Keeper Howler"  as their headline

tbh to me it just looked like those fluke strokes of luck that just never seem to happen to us

He's cost us 3 points so far ( 1 v Sheff and 2 yesterday) ..he's still 85666 lost points  behind Brad so I'm not worried at the moment about him

We need a 30 year old experienced GK as cover.  Gollini has played well so far apart from the 2 errors - that has essentially cost us 3 points over the two games.  Cant afford for his form/Morale to drop and have Bunn to pick-up the pieces.

• Like 1

I've just seen the match highlights for the first time.

I'm sorry but that's not a mistake! if that a mistake then so is Jordan Ayews blocked shot on the line yet I don't see anyone going on about that.

Some of the things I've been reading I was expecting some kind of calamitous error. 

• Like 3

I think 21 is too young for any keeper to be first choice week in week out.  Even De Gea was churning out a load of howlers in his first season at United.

I do generally think Gollini looks the part though.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think 21 is too young for any keeper to be first choice week in week out.  Even De Gea was churning out a load of howlers in his first season at United.

I do generally think Gollini looks the part though.

Yep thats my point.

its one hell of gamble given whats at stake this season. 

Our goalkeepers since Bosnich have been a disgrace tbh, we have a worse record with them than any other club. James, Schmeichel, Enkleman, Sorensen, Carson, Guzan (towards the end).

All error prone clowns who cost us stacks of points. Even Friedel was mostly shite. Villa fans always seem to look back on him with misty eyes, probably because of the trash before him but he was slow as hell, couldnt save anything that wasnt 2 feet with side of him and parried every shot he ever faced.

A complete car crash of a position for us.

Â