Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I noticed that in the Derby game, the exact same mistake that happened between Elphick and Gollini against Huddersfield could've happened twice.

On the first occasion, Elphick dealt with the ball, hooking it out of play.  On the second occasion, Gollini got the ball but put it out of play.  It was encouraging to see because; a] they're confident enough to keep doing what they've been told (supposedly) and b] they've learnt from that error and know not to take the same risk anymore.

Overall, Gollini impresses me.  He's a lot like De Gea was at Man Utd initially; comfortable stopping shots but looking to punch a bit too often.  He'll settle in and become a valuable player IMO.

I noticed this too, I was thinking here we go again. But was quite happy that they'd learnt from previous mistakes. Something nobody did last year. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Well there was a routine take v Derby where he punched - another where he punched and was fortunate to be given a free kick.

I just don't feel he inspires much confidence and feel there is a 'Mare' waiting to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

He didn't concede. He cleared the box both times. Most keepers punch the ball these days. Last season at Leicester Guzan flapped at a ball they scored and came from 2 down and we never recovered. Gollini throws his body in regardless. The one where you say he was lucky to get a free kick even if he never he'd cleared the ball so it wasn't an issue. He's young and will only get better he has made 2 slight errors so far and got the maximum punishment which he hasn't repeated after. He's learning. I glad he's our no1

15 hours ago, hippo said:

Well there was a routine take v Derby where he punched - another where he punched and was fortunate to be given a free kick.

He punched the ball and the striker charged in and cleaned him out. It was a late challenge, in no way is that fortunate.

As for punching vs catching, it's mostly just a less of a risk. Claiming a ball is great for removing pressure, as you obviously have possession. But when you're surrounded by bodies, there's always the risk that you fall awkwardly or the ball bobbles in your hands due to contact and you can lose it. With punching, you aren't as likely to remove pressure because the ball will potential fall to an opposition player, but you're definitely reducing the risk.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â