Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

I don't think the goal was his fault, and certainly not solely his fault. Made some saves to keep us in the game but an equalising goal was coming. We failed to win that match last night as we conceded midfield possession to them and lost control of the game and had zero options on the bench to change it.  If we had jedinak on the pitch then one point would have been three .

• Like 1

He should have sent the kick wide not straight, that is an error but talk about unlucky.

We as a club have had nothing but bad luck for a very long time. We seems to have so many of these things go against us and next to none for us.

Anyway, I think he looks a pretty good keeper personally.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

He should have sent the kick wide not straight, that is an error but talk about unlucky.

We as a club have had nothing but bad luck for a very long time. We seems to have so many of these things go against us and next to none for us.

Anyway, I think he looks a pretty good keeper personally.

Come on , they hit the post moments before (Keeper no where BTW) 

• Like 1

No way was last night's goal his fault. Put his foot right through it and what keeper/defender/manager can legislate for a clearance to be ricocheted into their net from what, 20 yards out? Add to this that we had 17 other shots on goal and at least one of them should have been buried. Should have been out of sight.

The Sheffield Wednesday goal was a bit closer to his fault. He sliced his clearance, yes, but Elphick tried to deal with it before it bounced off Forrestieri, ricocheted back off him and rolled right into the path of the striker. Again, how can you legislate for that?

The way I see it, we've conceded two goals in the championship this season and both have been flukes. Unfortunately those flukes have cost us 3 points which makes it a little harder to swallow but you'd hope that over the course of the season these type of things will even themselves out. When was the last time we scored an incredibly jammy ricochet?

Edited by JPAngel
  • Like 2

He is going to be a great keeper, working with one of the best Gk coaches in the world.

A freak incident which wouldn't have mattered if we would of taken some of our chances.

Our season was never going to be decided on the 16th August, 4 points and actually playing like a team.

I'll take it.

8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

No way was last night's goal his fault. Put his foot right through it and what keeper/defender/manager can legislate for a clearance to be ricocheted into their net from what, 20 yards out? Add to this that we had 17 other shots on goal and at least one of them should have been buried. Should have been out of sight.

The Sheffield Wednesday goal was a bit closer to his fault. He sliced his clearance, yes, but Elphick tried to deal with it before it bounced off Forrestieri, ricocheted back off him and rolled right into the path of the striker. Again, how can you legislate for that?

The way I see it, we've conceded two goals in the championship this season and both have been flukes. Unfortunately those flukes have cost us 3 points which makes it a little harder to swallow but you'd hope that over the course of the season these type of things will even themselves out. When was the last time we scored an incredibly jammy ricochet?

I can't believe what I m reading. Had he not whacked his clearance against the opposition player (ie either side or over the top of  him) that he would have cleared the danger. Surely he is coached or just plain knows - that when he kicks the ball make sure it goes past the opponent ?  - not kick it against him and hope it doesn't go in the net. 

Edited by hippo

Just now, hippo said:

I can't believe what I m reading. Had he not whacked his clearance against the opposition player (ie either side or over the top of  him) that he would have cleared the danger. Surely he is coached or just plan knows - that when he kicks the ball make sure it goes past the opponent ?  - not kick it against him and hope it doesn't go in the net. 

So you think he aimed it at the striker?

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Hitting the post isn't really what I'm talking about though.

You said we have had nothing but bad luck for a long time. I was just pointing out we had a little luck when they hit the post.

Putting a 21 year old rookie as first choice isn't bad luck, Its poor decision making from RDM. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

You said we have had nothing but bad luck for a long time. I was just pointing out we had a little luck when they hit the post.

Putting a 21 year old rookie as first choice isn't bad luck, Its poor decision making from RDM. 

Based on TWO games?

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think Hippo dislikes our new goalkeeper.

Pretty sure he didn't intend to hit the player when he kicked it mate.

Doesn't matter what intended to do.

He is only 21 and might be a good keeper in time.  

But for the here and now he isn't ready. Its massive ask for a 21 year old to come in from a foreign country to come in and be first choice keeper right from the off. 

Maybe Gollini and Elphick got confused as to who was who. We as fans get them mixed up as they do look a like, why can't they? ;)

Seriously though, it is an error no doubt but he will learn. He has got a definite talent, looks an excellent shot stopper. My only real concern is that he has a tendency to punch rather than catch which I think keeps the pressure up. That's something that can be worked on though. Have no issue with him being no 1 and given he has the no 1 shirt; I imagine RDM expects him to be first choice. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

3 actually - serious errors in 2 of them.

Ha! Sorry, three games. But is three enough to judge a player on then? Is that the cut off point?

The so called "serious errors" are your opinion on it dude. I thinks it's way too soon to call and what I've seen of him aside from two freak incidents (my opinion) is that he's strong, vocal, about 10x better than Guzan and about 15x better than Bunn. That's good enough for me.

Edited by JPAngel

The goal against Wednesday was an error, he sliced his kick and it resulted in the goal.

Last night he clearly didn't want to do the same, so put his laces through it and a combination of terrible luck and good attacking play resulted in a freak goal. I am not going to blame him for it, instead im going to remember the 2/3 terrific saves he made during the game.

If you want to talk about 'costing points', the blame should be laid at our woeful finishing. We should have been comfortably out of sight, but instead we only had the one goal which inadvertently invites pressure and hope for the opposition. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Doesn't matter what intended to do.

He is only 21 and might be a good keeper in time.  

But for the here and now he isn't ready. Its massive ask for a 21 year old to come in from a foreign country to come in and be first choice keeper right from the off. 

He was in the youth set up at Man Utd for a couple of years, so in fairness I doubt he needs too much time to acclimatise and probably speaks good English.

Â