Memory Lane

maqroll

20 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The first set look like figures from mask to me. Are the helmets all removable? I was obsessed with this as a kid. 

They were a mix of Dino-Riders and Battle Tech. 

I did have MASK figures/toys as a kid. Loved them. 

You lot know Birmingham. I could swear I used to get to a small venue in Birmingham occasionally. It wasn’t huge as I am relatively certain I saw Little Red Schoolhouse so not big bands. Anyway, was there a venue called the Breadon Border Bar? Maybe one for those with a certain vintage as this was late 80s. 

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You lot know Birmingham. I could swear I used to get to a small venue in Birmingham occasionally. It wasn’t huge as I am relatively certain I saw Little Red Schoolhouse so not big bands. Anyway, was there a venue called the Breadon Border Bar? Maybe one for those with a certain vintage as this was late 80s. 

The Breedon Bar / Breedon Cross was at the top of Lifford Lane. A chequered past before it burned down around 2000. 
It had been a proper good music venue, then took a dive and from what I can recall, was run by a group of Hells Angels near its end. Was left to rot for a while, squatters moved in and then there was a suspicious fire which gutted the place. 
Been a long while since I’ve been past but I think it was demolished and is now a block of flats. 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

A friend just posted this, so many hours of my childhood lost here.

FB_IMG_1609870151991.jpg

Oh wow, that’s a blast from the past. I’d completely forgotten that I had this. I was well into for a while, it even sparked a short lived foray into collecting and painting citadel miniatures. I was kind of obsessed with them for about a year and then lost all interest. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

The Breedon Bar / Breedon Cross was at the top of Lifford Lane. A chequered past before it burned down around 2000. 
It had been a proper good music venue, then took a dive and from what I can recall, was run by a group of Hells Angels near its end. Was left to rot for a while, squatters moved in and then there was a suspicious fire which gutted the place. 
Been a long while since I’ve been past but I think it was demolished and is now a block of flats. 

That looks to be it. Thanks for that. Will put that one with The Powerhouse, Hummingbird, Burberries and Edwards. 

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The Breedon Bar in Cotteridge? They used to have bands on. 

37 minutes ago, choffer said:

Hah, you beat me to it. 

No longer there. 

bbar.jpg

birmingham_b30_breedonbar.jpg

• Like 2

Dangerously close to on topic here, but it’s more to do with another not so subtle sign of getting older and so it’s wistful nature is better suited here in my opinion...

I think the last player who played for Villa who was older than I was was John Terry. 

Although the unique circumstances have accelerated it a few years ahead of schedule, I think tonight was the first time the entire team would be young enough that they’d consider me a contemporary of their parents rather than their own generation. Trying to think who’d have been the first player who was younger than me....🤔

I assume tonight was the same for others on here? Any of the older posters remember a similar point of realisation when that happened to them? 

• 3 weeks later...

Started putting this in the thread of dreams, but it's more appropriate here. 

All my long life I've had recurring dreams about being back at school (always grammar school, never primary). Lately, they've been much more frequent, and sure enough, I had The School Dream again last night. But here's the thing. I woke up (about 5 am), still thinking about it, and started consciously remembering the place in detail. Extreme detail. I very slowly gave myself a 'guided tour', and - although there were a few 'blind spots' - I was able to recall most of it almost photographically. This was so amazing, I mentally extended the 'tour' beyond the school gates, and followed my route home to my parents' place. Roads, houses, garages, grass verges, bus stops, parks, it was astonishing how much I could visualise. Took it all the way to the flat I grew up in, and went from room to room. I could 'see' the wallpaper and carpet patterns, the design of door handles, the kitchen layout, everything. It was a bit of a wrench to let it go in the end - not because of nostalgic emotion, just the sheer fascination of it all. I can only assume that my otherwise routine dream had triggered access to deep memory store that is not normally available. I wonder if this is what it's like for dementia sufferers living in their inner world? Or a controlled LSD trip? I'm still amazed by it all, and wondering if I have somewhere similar memories of other stages of life? Or is it just that the childhood brain is more susceptible to such 'imprinting'? (I rarely have dreams about my life after the age of about 18 - or before 11 - oddly enough). 

EDIT: Thinking, about it, these were not 'memories' in the usual sense of remembering events. Nothing 'happened' and there were no people involved. It was more like a conscious 'VR' tour, where I could select what to 'examine', and be able to recall a great deal of information about it. Some bits were more difficult than others, but I was very aware of where I was 'guessing', where there was insufficient (or no) detail, and where I was 100% sure I'd got it right. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Started putting this in the thread of dreams, but it's more appropriate here. 

All my long life I've had recurring dreams about being back at school (always grammar school, never primary). Lately, they've been much more frequent, and sure enough, I had The School Dream again last night. But here's the thing. I woke up (about 5 am), still thinking about it, and started consciously remembering the place in detail. Extreme detail. I very slowly gave myself a 'guided tour', and - although there were a few 'blind spots' - I was able to recall most of it almost photographically. This was so amazing, I mentally extended the 'tour' beyond the school gates, and followed my route home to my parents' place. Roads, houses, garages, grass verges, bus stops, parks, it was astonishing how much I could visualise. Took it all the way to the flat I grew up in, and went from room to room. I could 'see' the wallpaper and carpet patterns, the design of door handles, the kitchen layout, everything. It was a bit of a wrench to let it go in the end - not because of nostalgic emotion, just the sheer fascination of it all. I can only assume that my otherwise routine dream had triggered access to deep memory store that is not normally available. I wonder if this is what it's like for dementia sufferers living in their inner world? Or a controlled LSD trip? I'm still amazed by it all, and wondering if I have somewhere similar memories of other stages of life? Or is it just that the childhood brain is more susceptible to such 'imprinting'? (I rarely have dreams about my life after the age of about 18 - or before 11 - oddly enough). 

EDIT: Thinking, about it, these were not 'memories' in the usual sense of remembering events. Nothing 'happened' and there were no people involved. It was more like a conscious 'VR' tour, where I could select what to 'examine', and be able to recall a great deal of information about it. Some bits were more difficult than others, but I was very aware of where I was 'guessing', where there was insufficient (or no) detail, and where I was 100% sure I'd got it right. 

Sounds to me like Mrs Mooney has slipped something in your tea. 😁

• Like 1

Makes me think of another quote from Confessions of an English Opium-Eater

"The minutest incidents of childhood, or forgotten scenes of later years, were often revived: I could not be said to recollect them, for if I had been told of them when waking, I should not have been able to acknowledge them as parts of my past experience.  But placed as they were before me, in dreams like intuitions, and clothed in all their evanescent circumstances and accompanying feelings, I recognised them instantaneously.  I was once told by a near relative of mine, that having in her childhood fallen into a river, and being on the very verge of death but for the critical assistance which reached her, she saw in a moment her whole life, in its minutest incidents, arrayed before her simultaneously as in a mirror; and she had a faculty developed as suddenly for comprehending the whole and every part.  This, from some opium experiences of mine, I can believe; I have indeed seen the same thing asserted twice in modern books, and accompanied by a remark which I am convinced is true; viz., that the dread book of account which the Scriptures speak of is in fact the mind itself of each individual.  Of this at least I feel assured, that there is no such thing as forgetting possible to the mind; a thousand accidents may and will interpose a veil between our present consciousness and the secret inscriptions on the mind; accidents of the same sort will also rend away this veil; but alike, whether veiled or unveiled, the inscription remains for ever, just as the stars seem to withdraw before the common light of day, whereas in fact we all know that it is the light which is drawn over them as a veil, and that they are waiting to be revealed when the obscuring daylight shall have withdrawn."

• Like 1

Yeah, all that. 

But this was more like what I imagine 'lucid dreaming' to be like (never been able to do it). Except, I was quite definitely wide awake. And I wasn't dreaming, I was thinking. Like I say, no people, no events. Just like an explorable VR environment. Bear in mind I have no more than a handful of photographs from then, and I haven't been back to that part of Birmingham for over 35 years. Of course, none of it is verifiable, but I'm still amazed. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It was more like a conscious 'VR' tour, where I could select what to 'examine', and be able to recall a great deal of information about it. Some bits were more difficult than others, but I was very aware of where I was 'guessing', where there was insufficient (or no) detail, and where I was 100% sure I'd got it right. 

I occasionally get that, too. I wonder if it's a comfort thing (for me at least)? -  a kind of "I was happy then" thought that turns into vivid recollections of a time and place. It happens for 3 or 4 locations I've lived in the past. And it always gets to the thing you mention - the insufficient detail bits. And that's where it usually stops, sort of half consciously.

Once or twice, the next day, I've even gone to the google thing where you drop the little yellow man on the map and can see the streets and clear up the missing data.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

still thinking about it, and started consciously remembering the place in detail

I think I've put a similar example to  yours in that dream thread  , but mine was a detailed dream about a girl i went out with , her dad being a vicar , visitng the place where she lived , what car she drove ..the full works

She isn't real ..and yet its so vivid I'm still not 100% it was a dream and that I did actually go out with this girl , to the point if i go to any churches for weddings or funerals i wear a disguise just in case I'd upset her parents by dumping their daughter 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 19:21, Big Salad said:

Played this for tons of hours when I was younger; been meaning to get another one for awhile now.

which-witch-game-and-box.png

I sorta remember the board and the fact that the "house" parts would never stay upright without the aid of tape ...  but thought it was called "haunted house" rather than "Which Witch "

On 05/01/2021 at 19:27, bickster said:

I just went to put the Xmas decs back in the loft and found my old Subbuteo Astroturf pitch

That'll be getting sold having just looked up how much they fetch

Subbuteo did an astro turf pitch !?!

....and there was me, back in the day, smoothing out my subby baize pitch on the front room carpet, desperately trying to make the sidelines non wavy or bendy, but failing every time. 

Â