Memory Lane

maqroll

3 hours ago, bickster said:

We used to call them a Breville in the same way a vaccuum cleaner is always a Hoover.

When a brand becomes "verbified." It's the holy grail for brands.

People used to Xerox things instead of photocopying them. We "Google" something, not conduct an internet search. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

People used to Xerox things instead of photocopying them. We "Google" something, not conduct an internet search. 

Just be grateful it didn’t happen with Trombones or you might be playing a Greenhoe or a Haag 😂

My dad always used to say that Dyson would replace Hoover when people refer to doing the vacuum cleaning. 

I always maintained that “doing the Hoovering” was better due to it’s onomatopoeic quality.

I suppose one might say “we need to get the Dyson out…” 

Sellotape is one of the best examples of brand name taking over. I almost never say sticky tape.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sellotape is one of the best examples of brand name taking over. I almost never say sticky tape.

When they were making stuff on Blue Peter, they had to refer to it as sticky tape and it always sounded stupid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That's a good one. Like Tannoy, no one ever actually says public address system apart from Partridge.

In the music world it's always a P.A., though. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Fair point, but it's only ever called "PA" not "Public Address".

True. In fact I'd wager that not a few people who routinely reference 'the PA system' don't actually know what it stands for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This always used to confuse me on Blue Peter. They would always say to use "sticky back plastic", which to me meant those big sheets of transparent plastic you used to cover books with. I always thought, why waste ages cutting up big sheets when they could just use Sellotape? Anyway, because I didn't want to cut up big sheets I never made the stuff they were taking about. If only they'd used Sellotape. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

my favourite german word comes from that

whereas we as a general rule put "ed" on the end of a word to make it past tense they put "ge" at the start of a word so for example buy is kaufe bought is gekauft

somehow its ended up as google and then past tense is gegoogled, they've messed it up, they apply past tense to an english word that is already in past tense

• Like 2

Tipp-Ex is another one that I only became aware of relatively late in life. I think it was my first job where we would specify that forms completed by clients should not have any “correction fluid” on them. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Tipp-Ex is another one that I only became aware of relatively late in life. I think it was my first job where we would specify that forms completed by clients should not have any “correction fluid” on them. 

Invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. 

• Like 2

Â