Memory Lane

maqroll

22 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

5B249966-35BF-4AD9-BC03-A7DD9DD42BCB.jpeg

A few years ago I went to a museum and this was one of 3 items actually on display in that museum that I used to own. 

The other 2 things were a disc camera and a Phillips 2000 VCR.  Possibly one of the most depressing days of my life! 

Evil Knievel was always a disappointing toy.  It generally just went away level with no wheelie and curved away from wherever you were sending it missing any ramp you had constructed for it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

Never had subbueto or scalextric. I guess as an only child, my folks decided it wouldn't be worth it! 

I'm an only child, but I got a Scalextric for Xmas when I was ten. The bad news was that I had chickenpox over Xmas, and several of the neigbbours sent their kids round to ours, so they could catch it off me and 'get it over with'. So I hardly got a look in with all these kids racing my cars.  :(

Didn’t really have many toys as a kid. One year though my parents bought me a chopper bike. I left it out on the front garden one time and my dad took it up the tip to teach me a lesson. So there is that. 

• Shocked 1

When Action Man got gripping hands and eagle eyes, my life was changed.  Come at me Kenneth 😀.

Also Meccano, subbeuteo (if losing against my elder brothers snapped the players) and scalextric.

Hornby train sets as well, Flying Scotsman must be worth a fortune now, wonder where it is now, probably still in my parents loft.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Didn’t really have many toys as a kid. One year though my parents bought me a chopper bike. I left it out on the front garden one time and my dad took it up the tip to teach me a lesson. So there is that. 

Harsh but fair

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

my parents bought me a chopper bike. I left it out on the front garden one time and my dad took it up the tip

Oh go on then, no one else has! - re-cycling at its best.

• Haha 3

I’ve still got a tub of subutteo players up the garage.

I don’t think there’s a single complete team. Even back then, I had to just make up whole eleven’s from players with broadly the same colour kit.

It would be a few Sweden away, a few Everton and a few generic blue players against a couple of Liverpool, some Wales and a Swiss guy with a big blob of glue for legs.

Proper football, none of this all in the same shirt middle class sky subscription none sense that’s ruined the game.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve still got a tub of subutteo players up the garage.

I don’t think there’s a single complete team. Even back then, I had to just make up whole eleven’s from players with broadly the same colour kit.

It would be a few Sweden away, a few Everton and a few generic blue players against a couple of Liverpool, some Wales and a Swiss guy with a big blob of glue for legs.

Proper football, none of this all in the same shirt middle class sky subscription none sense that’s ruined the game.

Name the player... 

Subb09 Withe.jpg

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

This thing was awesome.  I didn't have one, but my friend James did, so we swapped toys for a week.  He got my Grimlock, I got this.  I took it with me to the cinema to watch Star Trek Generations (batteries out so it didn't make any noise).  We only had the one English cinema for miles around (with one screen) and you couldn't pre-book tickets, so when we eventually got the big blockbuster films (and I remember Generations being a huge deal when it came out) you'd be queuing for an eternity to get in, as far down as the car park for the bank next door.  There's a place in Oxford called the Atomic Burger Kitchen that they've decked out in a whole retro-memorabilia/toys aesthetic and they've got a half-beaten up one of these hanging from the ceiling.

• Like 1

On football games, for me Subbuteo was a poor man's Pro Action Football (which I think they still sell today under a different moniker).  I've got two sets in a cupboard, one of which is the "bonus" edition which includes an electronic Grandstand that plays crowd noise for the duration of a game and has buttons to make cheering noises for when you score a goal.

The grandstand

Subbuteo just never stacked up, but that said at least it was still miles better than the German equivalent - Tipp-Kick - which was feckin' awful.  The ball wasn't even round!  Truly, Brutalist German architecture taken to its very zenith/nadir (delete as appropriate).

Tipp-Kick Online-Shop | TIPP-KICK Classic | online kaufen

I do have a couple boxes full of the short-lived Subbuteo Squads card game, which I didn't actually play back in the day but they scratched that same collectable itch as Merlin stickers so some pocket money went their way.  I've since tried to decipher the rules as a somewhat-functioning adult and, honestly, Alan Turing would have issues figuring them out.  If only Pokémon and its ilk had been a thing in the West by that point, they could have co-opted parts of those games as a blueprint, then you might have had something truly special; "You fool... you just activated my Barry Venison card!" etc.

Also got a full squad box of the 95/96 Villa Corinthian figures (and an accompanying Brian Little blister pack).  I maybe managed to collect 4-5 tops back in the day, then some years ago saw a whole set going on eBay so snapped that up.  Told myself I'd display them and they'd look great, they've lived in the bottom of a storage box ever since.

avfc.jpg.57d9f5c5b3913d9e89eaffc121f6b988.jpg s-l300.jpg

They did manage to make Tommy Johnson look like Annie Lennox though.

Corinthian Prostars - Tommy JOHNSON - Aston Villa - PL223 | eBay

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Xela said:

In light of the above post, we're still having problems identifying the following figures:

The first figures are small  - about 3". The second is about 6" - don't have the exact dimensions as I haven't got them to hand. I'd assume they are 80's figures. 

@Chindie @GarethRDR @Ginko @wazzap24 - any idea chaps? Thinking maybe they'e cropped up in a comic over the years? Cheers. 

j8R9d0t.jpeg

pmahYNr.jpeg

I've come up blank on these mate. 

Had a look last night and a few google searches (even tried splitting the images and doing google image searches!) 

They all ring a bell, but just cant quite place them. 

I was pretty convinced the soldier looking one on the right of the 4 was one of the figures you used to get with the GI Joe/Action Force vehicles back in the day (the vehicles always came with a generic looking ‘driver’), but I looked on a site that list all the figures made during the early 80’s and nothing looked similar. 

• Thanks 1

Thought I would throw this in, I used to read a comic, it was a war type comic and the lead character had only half a left or right arm but he could screw in weapons to it and his team where all various types, one was a ninja but the main chap had defeated them all in battle before they joined forces  

Â